Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #29

Park my coach on leftover new mud flaps that Freightliner dealer had for $ 10.00 each . Works great
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2022, 04:26 PM   #30

Try Spic and Span floor cleaner or Tied laundry detergent both are good for cleaning shop floors.

Just wet the concrete and sprinkle the dry soap directly on the concrete, scrub with a stiff broom or brush.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:45 PM   #31

"Learned a hard lesson today. Took my coach to winter storage & was left with 4 tire imprints on my nice concrete driveway. "

From reading the comments, it seems that you and several others may not have learned the most important lesson from your unfortunate discovery. The most important lesson follows:

The liquid that drained from your tires was sucked out by the concrete. It will also be sucked out by any other porous surface, like most gravel. The liquid is the UV protectant which keeps the sunlight from damaging your tires. This draining of the UV protectant will significantly reduce the life of the tire.

For this reason an RV should never be parked on an absorbent surface for a long period of time. If you are going to be parked longer than a few weeks, it is worth the time to use a pad.

You may ask where i got this information. It came from a Michelin engineer.

It is also covered ,in less detail, in the Michelin RV tire Manual which can be found at the link below.

The exact wording from the manual is:

"2. Place a barrier between the tire and the storage surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood, cardboard, or rubber floor mats."

The engineer did not particularly like cardboard and suggested dish drain mats from Walmart. They are cheep and prevent the problem you experienced.

NOTE: The document is worth a read as it contains several other tips i have found useful. Happy camping.

https://dcadprod.azureedge.net/b2b-e...chure-e-v6.pdf
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Tide to the Rescue

Post #30 had the right idea...
Worked in gas stations as a youth ( a lot of first hand experience removing ties marks off of concrete islands) - wet the concrete ; sprinkle Tide liberally; let it sit a few minutes and brush it around; hose off..
But I like your new idea even better - don't sweat it...
Bob
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #33

Commercial Member

Black stain on concrete is the oil in the rubber being leached out of the tire. We put special oils and other chemicals into the tire rubber to protect it from UV and Ozone and to slow the aging process. Pulling these protecting oils out of the tire is not desirable.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:39 PM   #34

Common mistake is not sealing concrete - you have to let it cure first, times vary but a few months anyway. Then use a concrete stain (H&C at Sherwin Williams) which isn't a paint and won't chip and peel, but you can cover up minor stains by the color you pick. I've tried to get my HOA to seal our miles of sidewalks but they seem to prefer destroying them with pressure washings that only make them more porous and easier to stain. It also removes some of the cement and eventually they will crumble. Seal your driveway ... it's probably not a bad idea to put pads under the wheels but I don't think you will find it necessary.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #35

I find a pressure washer with no chemical additives works very well
olmsteaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:08 AM   #36

I would like to suggest, please take the time to read all the comments before commenting. Then, your comments will sound more intelligent. There is really no need in repeating what others have said.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tire marks on my driveway doesnít bother me. Pigeon crap does.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #38

Talk about petty problems. Wow!
Old 10-10-2022, 10:50 PM   #39

If it is oil, and thatís what it sounds like, try good old clay cat litter. Sprinkle it on and grind it in with your foot. Leave it alone for a few days. Sweep up and see what you have.
Hope it helps.
Telephonebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:18 PM   #40

stains on concrete

My concreter patio is sealed. However a few items set on it caused rust spots. I used CLR. Calcium lime rust remover. It worked. I know you said you will just leave it.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same exact thing happened to me when I parked my RV with new tires on the RV pad next to my house. Very noticeable but never rose to any level of concern in my life so I shrugged it off. At some point a year or so later I noticed those marks were gone. Not sure if they soaked in, washed off, were dissolved by ozone or UV but at the end of the day the only marks now are usual oil drip and grease blob stains. The ones that bug me are rust stains and it doesn't take long for them to set if something is left to rust on the concrete. Muriatic acid/concrete etch is pretty effective at removing those but it's also effective at leaving a "clean spot" where you use it. So pre-wetting and very careful application with a broom and vigorous rinsing with a hose can work but it takes practice.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #42

Cleaning concrete surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Nothing but have you tried a pressure washer?
I have worked in gas station/repair shops where the concrete floors get soiled with grease and other containments. I used an oil absorbing compound and the back of a wooden broom and ground the compound into the cement. Cat litter works fine also.
nbneuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, tire, tires