Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Keith. when comparing diesel engines ask for the torque rating. The reason is several coach manufacturers are using the little Cummins ISB (think Dodge pickup) in large motor homes. The highest torque rating on these is 800 ft lbs while most are rated at 660 ft lbs.

The Cummins ISL 450hp engine is rated at 1250 ft lbs and will do a much better job in a heavy motor home.

There is a chance the 380hp engine is a de-rated Cummins ISL. If so, then it's rated at 1150 ft lbs and may be adequate.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #16

I believe both models you are looking at are on the Powerglide chassis, so both will have IFS. Don brings up a valid point. If the Phaeton just has the Exhaust brake, the Compression brake on the Bus will offer much better speed control descending a mountain.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #17

Looking at HP may not help. IMO you should look at the HP to weight ratio. It seems the industry standard is 1 to 100. Ratios higher than that mean slower grade speeds.

It is my opinion a buyer should avoid a DP with the Cummins 6.7 ISB engine due to lower torque available. MH mfgrs. use this engine to keep prices down.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Looking at HP may not help. IMO you should look at the HP to weight ratio. It seems the industry standard is 1 to 100. Ratios higher than that mean slower grade speeds.

It is my opinion a buyer should avoid a DP with the Cummins 6.7 ISB engine due to lower torque available. MH mfgrs. use this engine to keep prices down.
I sure agree with this. When they eliminated the ISC, they really put too much of a load on the ISB to perform in larger coaches.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Engines

I have an Allegro Bus 37AP with the isl 450 1250 torque I was stuck behind 2 trucks i was down to 35 mph i was able to downshift and get around and pass them. I would get the 450 with side radiator also does the Phaeton have IFS ? thats why we bought a Bus . Just came from a gas coach in the last month. Good Luck on your choice
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #20

I would sit back and enjoy the drive. I have a Cummins ISX 1650 ft-lbs torque and 500 hp. I just get in line with the big trucks and follow them. Being retired I am no longer in a hurry. I let Collision Mitigation set speed and distance from vehicle in front. I have done my share of mountain passes and always made it to my destination.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:48 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Both will get up the mountains and not disappoint like your gasser did.

Buy the coach that you LIKE more.

But if you want to MAXIMIZE your climbing ability divide weight / torque (or weight / hp if you want to scream it) and pick the higher number.

- bob
cbr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #22

Thats not that much difference in HP. I would look at vehicle GVW and compare that. I only know previously had a 400 Cummings on our Coach. We got passed going up all hills, and it overheated anytime you loaded it on a hill. We bought a HR 45’ with a 650 Cummings, problem solved.. good luck
Craig L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #23

Go big or go home, u won't regret it.
Ryancasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I've had both. The 380 in our 2011 40' Phaeton did the job well towing an Avalanche toad. However, we don't mind going up to the Eisenhower Tunnel at 40 mph. The scenery is great. Now we have a heavier 2013 43' Bus with the 450 ISL. Guess what, we still go up to the tunnel at 38-40 mph towing a 6300# Avalanche. The 450 only has 100 more ft lbs of torque, so less than 10% increase. You will see a difference in performance in the mountains, but it isn't enough to be a deciding factor if you prefer the Phaeton interior. No reason to be concerned about running at 100% power with either engine. The ECM on either is a lot smarter at protecting the engine than any operator. It will cut back the power before it allows anything to go bad. More than likely the 380 can be flashed to 450 for under $1,000. The Transmission is good up to 1250# of torque and the side radiator "should" be able to keep it cooled. Others have done it with no issues. My advise is to ignore the engine and go with the coach that gets you what you want most. Just remember, when full timing, you will be driving it less than 3-4% of the time and "Living" in the rest. On the level, both will perform equally. You "Might" want more power less than 5% of the time you are traveling. What's more important to you???
Great answer.
It’s all here
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2omanboston View Post
Hello,
New to irv2 so please bare with me.

OK, I'm nekkid. What's next?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
OK, I'm nekkid. What's next?

Now go buy a "Cummings".
Old 05-02-2022, 04:18 AM   #27

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Hello,
New to irv2 so please bare with me. Hope all of you are well & kicking.

Wife & I are looking to buy a used diesel motorhome later this year. Been campers all our lives. Will retire in 3-4 yrs and then live in our motorhome for as long as we can.

Looking at Tiffin Bus 40AP or Phaeton 40AH. My question is with the engines & power to handle the mountains.
I prefer the Bus 450hp to make sure I don't have to worry about power thru the mountains/rockies while having a mid-size toad. Or, will the Phaeton 380hp be enough to handle these kind of mountains and not have to worry about having to "go around" ?? My last motorhome was a gas powered, so I was easily passed on the hills while I barely hit 40mph. Don't want that again. I know diesel is different and better, I just don't know what I really need for engine power. 380hp vs 450hp?

Anyone with experience btw these 2 engines and what might really be needed to scale the mountains would be greatly appreciated. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Keith
Hello Keith, FYI, we are living in our 2002 40 Tiffin bus while our home is being built. We will offer the MH for sale late summer/early Fall when the house is completed. mroplanner@yahoo.com if interested, currently in coastal NC.
Ed
DSDP 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Hello,
New to irv2 so please bare with me. Hope all of you are well & kicking.

Wife & I are looking to buy a used diesel motorhome later this year. Been campers all our lives. Will retire in 3-4 yrs and then live in our motorhome for as long as we can.

Looking at Tiffin Bus 40AP or Phaeton 40AH. My question is with the engines & power to handle the mountains.
I prefer the Bus 450hp to make sure I don't have to worry about power thru the mountains/rockies while having a mid-size toad. Or, will the Phaeton 380hp be enough to handle these kind of mountains and not have to worry about having to "go around" ?? My last motorhome was a gas powered, so I was easily passed on the hills while I barely hit 40mph. Don't want that again. I know diesel is different and better, I just don't know what I really need for engine power. 380hp vs 450hp?

Anyone with experience btw these 2 engines and what might really be needed to scale the mountains would be greatly appreciated. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Keith
Rule of thumb is 10hp per foot which translates to the amount of torque as well and should be more than adequate even for towing, unless you're a young hot rod, so the Phaeton comes up a little short.
More importantly go with a side radiator for overall coach quality and ease of Maintenace, which the bus has and would certainly be my pick of the two.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote