Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 01:32 AM   #1

New to motor homes

Ok guys i have owned a camp trailer for about 10 year and wife finally wants a motor home and I need help picking out a good one. Right now I am lookin at the Ford v10 but thinking the Chevy might be better. What do you guys suggest Ford or chevy.
Kmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

You are going to get a ton of answers, most based more on personal preference. I have a Ford with the V-10. A Chevrolet gas motor isn't available in a new chassis. My "perfect" class C would be my coach on a Chevrolet chassis with the 8.1 Vortec and Allison transmission.

Start with your floor plan and go from there.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:25 AM   #3

As the Powell's stated you will not find a Chevy in the newer models. I have a 2000 R-vision Condor Class A with a Chevy 454 and it has been good to me. Whatever you buy I am sure you will enjoy it. Safe travels and happy trails!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

I've had one of each, and each one has it's pros and cons.
The Chevy 5.7 V8 Vortec in the Roadtrek was pretty good on gas, and relatively quiet and only required a few costly repairs over the 10 years I owned it. It could be serviced at almost any GM dealership. Mostly I just changed the oil regularly, and it was good to go.
The Ford V10 was loud, terrible on gas, and hard to find places that could handle the size of the coach, even just to get the oil changed. It did have decent power at higher RPMs which killed the gas mileage, and more towing capacity than the other two. If you're handy with simple maintenance, you could save some money with the V10.
Overall, I prefer the Sprinter 3.0L V6 for the fuel economy, the quiet, and the power from such a small simple package. Diesel is almost the same price as gas where I live, and often cheaper, and the DEF is cheap, too. It can be serviced at almost all authorized MB dealerships. The service intervals are 3 to 4 times that of gas engines which mitigates the cost.
If the choice was Chevy or Ford, I'm not sure which way I'd go.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #5

The most important aspect is to find the floorplan that meets your needs. You are only driving it 5-10% of the time. The rest of the time you are living in it. The biggest reason people get a new/different MH is because the floorplan doesn't do what they want.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #6

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for all the answers defiantly have alot to think about i honestly just want to try and get somthing reliable. Seem like there are a ton more for me engine and Ford chassis out there than Chevy.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

Testing

Testing trying to get pics up sorry guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180822-070624.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	216018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180822-070616.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	216019  

Old 08-22-2018, 07:17 AM   #8

Probably looking at an older one 1994 to 2003
Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Other things to take into account are additional costs. Plates can get somewhat expensive depending on where you live. Insurance also plus upgrades/fixes you may want to do. Below are our costs for our '04 Georgetown in my signature.

- Plates - $300/year
- Insurance - $1080/year
- Upgrades you will want to do, we spent about $2500 in a year.

Check the date on the tires. 7 years is about when you start thinking about changing them. That's at least $1500. Don't look at the tread and think they are good. MH tires age out before they wear out.

Batteries, look at the date on those. $300-$1000 to replace depending on quantity and quality.

Are you handy? There will be things to work on all the time. Can you do it or are you going to have to pay someone?

Good luck on your search!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #10

Thanks for the reply I would say I am pretty handy but I wouldn't be able to to replace and engine or transmission that's kinda why I am hoping to do alot or research first to find out what the best engines and chassis are best. So far I have found alot of Ford 460s Chevy 454s. Some v10 also. But honestly mostly Ford is what I am seeing. A diesel pusher would be sweet though
Old 08-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #11

First off to address the Ford vs Chevy / Workhorse question, a lot depends on year and size range, there was a lot of back and forth. In the late 90's I would give the edge to Chevy on the smaller class A, and Ford on the larger heavier gas coaches, then in 2001 the the pendulum swings the other way with the Workhorse/Chevy W series being introduced along with the 8.1L Vortec engine / Allison Transmission combo, Ford did not catch up until the F53 major redesign of 2006, then Workhorse got out of the RV business when GM dropped the 8.1L Vortec engine in 2010 as it could no longer meet new emissions standards, leaving all class A's since 2010 being Ford F53's for better or worse.

Having said that I there is a lot more to a given coach than the drivetrain, the house side of things is just as or perhaps more important. Particularly on older coaches, where quality and maintenance matter a lot. To put it simply better materials age better, fiberglass showers outlast plastic which becomes brittle and cracks, real wood cabinets held together with screws outlasts particle board held together with staples, full body paint outlasts vinyl graphics, Fiberglass or Aluminum Roofs outlast Rubber EPDM or TPO roofs, ...
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I like the F53 w/V10. Why? Because I'm familiar with it..

I have a checklist I use to evaluate this vintage F53 if you're interested.. Also browse the site and you'll see some of the issues I faced with the F53 of that year.

F53 inspection maintenance checklist – 1999 Southwind 35S

I think either chassis will do the job, my concern with the Chevy chassis is its legacy.. It seems to be on again / off again, without a lot of continence. i.e. go to Rock Auto and see how difficult it is to find parts for a chassis..

OH GOD, Did I just open up a bucket of worms.. :-) :-)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Floor plan

It is all about the floor plan. Either chassis, motor can be fixed. Set aside 30 to 40% of your budget to get it “you” ready.
Things even when inspected will and do go wrong. Then there are the “oh this would be nice to be changed things”. First coach you learn on.
Gas mileage?? No such thing ! They are between not too bad,sarcasm intended, and I hope there is a fuel tanker following me.

Now for the good part, you spend way more time in it at your destination then driving it. Did I mention Floor Plan?

What feels right usually is. Look, listen carefully to partners comments and buy accordingly.

Best of luck on your hunt
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Personally, I like the F53 w/V10. Why? Because I'm familiar with

I think either chassis will do the job, my concern with the Chevy chassis is its legacy.. It seems to be on again / off again, without a lot of continence. i.e. go to Rock Auto and see how difficult it is to find parts for a chassis..

OH GOD, Did I just open up a bucket of worms.. :-) :-)
No, you just expressed your opinion. Thanks for the checklist for OP.

Still like my P30 however. My choice was either the 460 or 454. Chose the Chevy due to being a new engine. Hindsight the Ford based chassis MH was in way nicer shape, wife wanted the one we bought.
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote