RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

New to Motorhomes

I am in the middle of buying a 2008 HR Admiral 35SFD. I have had a TT for a few years but never a motor home. So a new experience. Any Advice is appreciated.
Golfky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

Good luck and continue to enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You have a lot to learn. Donít sweat it. Hopefully you have some DYI skills because you will need them.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfky View Post
I am in the middle of buying a 2008 HR Admiral 35SFD. I have had a TT for a few years but never a motor home. So a new experience. Any Advice is appreciated.

So you're in the middle of buying a DP and just now coming here for advice?

RVing is fun but at times can be challenging and you have to be flexible and be willing to carry tools and fix stuff. Or have a hefty, deep c/c.

Everything....and I mean everything is an adventure when you live a RV lifestyle. Now maybe living FT in this rig is not your goal but it doesn't matter. Every time you leave to go on a trip....it WILL be an adventure.

Believe me we're FTers. My advice is to go into this purchase with eyes wide open and just understand what's required to do this deal and maintain this rig. Study, study and study more...research and plan. Stay on top of things.

I'm not trying to scare you, but as one other above said, you have a lot/we all have a lot to learn when starting out. There's a lot to taking care on a MH and keeping your rig happy so you can remove or minimize roadside surprises take planning and some work. But IMO it's well worth it and certainly can be done but you have to be engaged, and pay attention to your rig.

My wife & I wouldn't have it any other way and we'll never own another money pit, over taxed, over regulated, material gathering home again.

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
be prepared to either work on your coach, or spend money having someone work on it..............things will go wrong..................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Welcome, but you should have joined back when you had the TT. Many of the systems are the same, just a different size. It means you already have lots of knowledge.

As you transition into a DP, you will have many questions, both related to the chassis as well as the house. Fair warning, you will get lots of good advice here, but you will also get a healthy amount of passion as folks expound on the reasons product A is superior to product B while others will disagree and proclaim that product C has this or that technical specification that exceeds all others. But your answers will be in there somewhere!

Best of luck and hope that you enjoy your new adventures!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Scary isn't it?
DW and I are planning to do the same thing later this year. Sell everything. Buy a DSDP and spend 90% of our time cruising. The other 10% will be soaked up with the kids, relatives and friends. Likely a cruise or two as well.
From the research I have done the DPs are high maintenance, read expensive, easy to drive but you need to be aware of the 30-40+ feet behind you. Very comfortable.
Just keep in mind you are living in a house that is exposed to hurricane force winds and about a 6 on the Richter scale earthquake at all times while moving.

Wish you all the best. Good luck and have fun.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #8

We had a TT for 10 years and got tired of the work to set up and driving on so many bad roads. We switched to MH last year. It is an older DP and I expected to have some additional cost, which we did. I would not go back to pulling a trailer. I do some of the maintenance but have the annual service done by a shop that is familiar with the chassis and how to check everything.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome..

I looked quick at the specs, i am not up on all class A..

v10, 22.5 tires, ford style chassis. 20K+GVW...

So you had a TT so the workings of the RV will be very much the same. AC,heat,water, fridge...
Batterys and charging with chassis and house will have some crossover and understanding.

Onboard generater may be new to you and will add some care taking..

The chassis will be like your tow vehicle, change fluids, kick the tires etc LOL

I am sure members here will fill us in on the nitemares of your unit or the best feature and the fun you shall have..

If you are handy with any RV or Tow vehicle that is always a plus,, finding a shop that has the capacity to work on a class A with always show its limits.. Even with my Class C , I am a DYI guy and would love to pawn the work off sometimes, I find it difficult,, Even inspections are at a premium compared to my cars and van...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes