Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 12:46 PM   #1

New TST tpms

We are at Q and there is a booth selling the new TST tire pressure monitor. While I eas there they sold a bunch. The booth is manned by Technorv
Personally. They have a lot of knowledge on the ystems but they are trying to serve multiple customers at the same time. I spoke to customer service at Technorv and he answered all my questions. It is an impressive device BUT it is super expensive . For a 12 sensor setup ( tag axle and toad) it is over $850 plus tax. Touch 5 inch screen. Flow through sensors and repeater. They had a tech at the booth to help ypu with the Initial setup. Looked very easy. I did not buy it YET. I wonder if the price will scare away many customers triggering a big price drop.
I have been skeptical of these systems. My original pressure pro was useless.
Bought an early version TST and it was not much better. Has anyone here had a chance to check it out?
Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #2

We have the non flow through cap sensors and we upgraded to the initial new color screen. I did take off the anti theft cap portion to make it easier to remove the caps and add air when needed.

Had it for five years and has worked great with no issues.

Saved us twice last year getting alarms for issues before they became bad on two tires.

I do “rebuild” the cap sensors once a year putting in new batteries and the o-rings.

Moved the system to our new coach and am looking to update to the new color monitor as well.

Just me but I’d buy again based on our experience.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #3

Thanks Gumpster. But I am looking for info on the new system.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-26-2023, 01:38 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh
We are at Q and there is a booth selling the new TST tire pressure monitor. While I was there they sold a bunch. The booth is manned by Technorv
TechnoRV is offering 15% off on everything on their site through January with the code of TAMPA15 so see if they are applying that discount at Quartzite.

Quote:
For a 12 sensor setup ( tag axle and toad) it is over $850 plus tax. Touch 5 inch screen. Flow through sensors and repeater. They had a tech at the booth to help you with the Initial setup. Looked very easy. I did not buy it YET. I wonder if the price will scare away many customers triggering a big price drop.
I balanced the cost against the price of one tire new. If the TPMS could save me from running on a tire that went flat, especially in the rear, it was well worth it.

The touchscreen version just came out. We have had the non-touchscreen version for going on four years with zero issues. The non-touchscreen color version is a bit dim so if the new one is brighter that would be good. Our display is a lot smaller than 5" as well.

10 cap sensors in 2019 + the color display was $545 and each additional sensor was $50. They have had some significant price increases over the years due to tariff increases, or so they've said. Your price is about 25% more than I would have paid in 2019 for 12 cap sensors but the flow-throughs were more expensive. If I wanted to upgrade to the touchscreen it would cost me $200.

The TST comes with the repeater and yes, you should install it at the rear of the coach. Our 38' motorhome + toad came to 58' and the TST would work without the repeater but after adding the repeater the system picked up the toad and rear wheel sensors a lot faster.

The flowthrough sensors weigh more and stick out further so they could get whacked easier by a rock or road debris. If you are using valve stem extensions on the inner duals you probably do not want the flow-through. Actually, you probably do not want the flow-through sensors at all.

It has been 12 months since I needed to add any air to any of my tires. I have read of people with the flow-through sensors having a problem where the sensor would not come off the valve stem after several years. To me taking the cap sensors off once a year is good preventative maintenance.

Our sensors use the standard CR2032 batteries and are very easy to change. I change them about every 18 months.

There were two systems I needed to get installed before we took our new motorhome on its first trip: the hard-wired EMS and the TPMS system.

We keep the motorhome in the driveway so I'll bring the console in the house if we're not using it for a few months. I can check the tire pressures weekly or just leave it turned on to warn me of any air loss when not using the motorhome.

As for not using a TPMS on a toad currently: https://www.motor1.com/news/450203/c...rk-damaged-rv/

Mistakes are too easy to make so I want a system looking out for me. Remember, these things have dual rear tires because both tires are required to safely support the weight on that side. If one rear tire goes low or flat the remaining tire on that side is now MASSIVELY overloaded and will fail sooner than it otherwise would. If you arrive at a campground and find one of the duals flat you really should replace both of them.

If a TPMS keeps me from overloading a rear dual it just paid for itself a few times over.

HTH,

Ray
Old 01-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Thanks Gumpster. But I am looking for info on the new system.
TechnoRV announced the touchscreen display on November 10, 2022, barely two months ago. There will not be a lot of people with that display.

I don't know what the value is of a touchscreen on a TPMS because once the sensors are paired up it just sits there.

Unlike Grumpster, our cap sensors came without the spinning anti-theft cap that everyone liked to remove anyways. I'd suspect the new system uses the same sensor we have.

TechnoRV does have holiday and other sales so you could sign up for their emails and wait to purchase.

Ray
Old 01-26-2023, 03:10 PM   #6

NXR.
Ray; Thanks for the reply. The screen is super bright
No buttons. Everything is on screen
Has some other features that are not that important
Shows speed altitude, and direction. Also has a trip odometer. But does not make coffee or toast. Good advice on the sensors. I have one other problem. My coach has a multiplex system. Some new coaches also use multiplex. When I connected the repeater to a bus bar that supplied power to all the multiplex boxes the repeater did not work well. O really don't know anywhere in the middle or rear of the coach that has a non multiplxed 12v source Maybe I could find one that feeds the electric toilet. I am still thinking about this purchase. In over 50 years of rv ing I have never had an instance where a Tpms would have helped. BUT you never know.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-26-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Shows speed altitude, and direction. Also has a trip odometer. But does not make coffee or toast.
I hate feature creep, adding useless functionality that can cause problems simply as a product differentiator, so I'm glad it won't make me breakfast because I don't eat breakfast.

Your tow bar 7-pin connector (or whatever you have) should have 12 volts DC available for the charging line. Other people have tapped into the basement compartment lights or powered sliding trays but I don't know if you have those.

The repeater pulls almost zero current.

Ray
Old 01-26-2023, 03:46 PM   #8

The repeater uses a #18 wire. They told me it has to be mounted inside. Not easy to get a wire from the basement to the interior. I would have to drop the basement ceiling. I will take a close look. Maybe I could use an 110 to 12 volt brick from an old device
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I stopped at that booth today to see the new monitor. When I bought the TST system many years ago, it came with the black and white screen. The tire pressure was on the left and the temp was on the right. In this country we read left to right and the first thing your read, was the pressure, the MOST important part of the information.

Years later, they brought out the colored screen. It was a little larger and had a fixed antenna. We bought just the monitor at that time at the Pomona RV Show. I don't stare at the screen but look down at glance when driving. On the new screen the temp was on the left and the pressure was on the right. Even though this is not a huge deal, it took some getting used to, and TO ME is still annoying. The upside, the antenna worked better and there were less glitches.

The new monitor is substantially larger, my guess, 100% larger. That's nice, but it still shows the same information, whereas the Tire Minder, with a large screen, shows all the tires and their pressure at once. I guess the advantage is that blind people can now read it and you can use a touch screen instead of pushing the three simple buttons.

My opinion, I have too much money invested in my TST system with 12-wheel sensors, so I won't change. However, if I were buying today, I would be looking more at the Tire Minder than TST. This new TST monitor is not a big upgrade.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:56 PM   #10
NXR

I had read that the new system tries to set your alarm thresholds for you based on "baseline" like another system does. That's OK as long as I can set my own alarm levels also. I don't like systems that try to guess what's right for me.

Ray
Old 01-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #11

Apparently you can set your own parameters. I really like that large bright screen. Old eyes.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-26-2023, 04:09 PM   #12

I got my 10 sensor system with the newer color monitor 3 years ago for $500. Best money spent. The sensors themselves are the expensive part. Because the newer color monitor could be had them for $100 to replace the old B&W monitor.

And now with the crazy inflation and hard to get small pieces I don’t doubt the $850 price tag. I would definitely buy it. It’s nice info to have when on the road.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:04 PM   #13

I looked on line at the new tire minder asomething s. It is also a big screen. Can hook up to any android device. The TST sensors can be set without putting the monitor at the tire. You can fo it sitting at a table. I have to go back to the big tent to find out the display while you are driving. The new Tire Minder is about $150 cheaper. You definitely can set the parameters on the tst. It has a magnetic mount and comes with a suction cup. I will post if I get more info.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 01-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought the TST system last year with the color display and do not regret it at all. Works great.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms