Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
The major reason they are sending you to Onan is because Onan makes the gen. When you buy a car or truck it is, for the most part, all Ford/Chevy/Toyota parts. They built it so they service it. Winnebago builds the coach itself. Ford builds the chassis. Onan the Gen and so on. Make it easy on yourself and get the best service for each product.

You'll survive and before long you'll be drinking some beers and bragging about your bus. It's just what we do.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the others. Although it may be somewhat inconvenient to make an appointment and go to Cummings, I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing instead of the dealership "experimenting" with my motorhome. If I were in your shoes, I would respect and appreciate their honesty.

Regarding the door, I also agree with the other posts. Chances are the door contacts are too far apart and not keeping contact while your motorhome or door is flexing as you travel down the road. I had the exact same thing happen to me as a guy on a motorcycle was coming along side. I'm sure I scared the crap out of him as the steps expanded, then retracted. I laugh about it now, but it could have been a different issue if the steps made contact with the motorcycle.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #17

The OP got a lot of good advice on this thread and I hope they read it. Hopefully they will update us on what happened. 10 days since the original post.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #18

New RV

UPDATE: Got a call last week. Claims they needed to order a Controller for the door step. Maybe, but I don't think it needed that particular part. I'm curious if they'll charge me for it. Next was the Generator. Claims the Onan Mechanic at the dealer, "It's getting Gas". Heck, I knew that. I told them to keep the coach till the steps are fixed. They told me I'd have to take it to an Onan Cummins dealer to fix the generator. I have decided after I pick up the coach I'll fix the generator. Being a parts guy and working on vehicles ALL my life, I'll fix the generator. I'm positive I can find the problem after I check more than "It's getting gas"....I'll be in touch ...For the record I've had a 2002 Fleetwood 38' Discovery DP and a Winnebago Forza 40' DP....Loved them both. No mechanical problems.
I went to gas because it was smaller and easier to get into my parking spot at home and didn't need the 40' any longer….
sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good advice.

Think of your house. Would you ask the builder to fix your fridge, television, or washer/dryer?

We have had issues with our coach and found the service support is exemplary. We went with a reputable dealer and cannot say enough about the quality of work they have done.

If your genset is under warranty I would not do the repairs myself. It would void any further warranty you might have. Check your warranty papers. The house is warrantied for a year (some of the diesels now have a 3 year warranty on the house). Everything else seems to have a different length.

Check and approach your queries with respect. Respect them and they will likely respect you.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #20

I bought a new motor home the same month as you. I also had a generator issue as it wouldn't start. Our dealer offered to take it to Cummins for us but I took it myself when I had time. Took it in on a Monday and picked it up the next day. No big deal. Our problem was the fuel line was routed too close to one of the holding tanks and was being pinched. Then, once they got it running, it kept starting on its own while in storage. I thought someone was stealing my fuel but one of the workers at my storage place told me the generator was running a lot. By my calculations I lost over $200 dollars of fuel before we figured out what was happening. So now I have a generator with 185 hours on it and I've never used it. Back to the dealer it went. They determined the AGS panel was the culprit and replaced it. I submitted receipts to Jayco for reimbursement but they washed their hands and said it wasn't their fault. They did agree to service it for me but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth about Jayco. We fully expected to have some issues early on but now hope we're ready for the season. This is the norm in the RV industry today. It is after all a house on wheels.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #21

New RV

Well...Thanks to you nice folks out there...I called Winnebago and they give me some help. The dealer where I took the coach had to order a new motor for the step. They told me they installed a new step.. NOT!! I'm not complaining because Winnebago took care of the warranty. 3 weeks later I got to pick up the coach. So 85 miles there and 85 miles back. Next I took it from the dealer to Onan and they had to pull the generator and install a few items. Magneto was bad. Only had it one week. Very nice and professional service from Onan in Coburg, Oregon. Love those guys. So 85 miles there again and back....
Anyway I realize that new products go bad as well as older used, I also realize that IRV2 has fantastic fellow Rv'ers on here. Thanks for all your help.....
sammax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago