Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newbie Needs Help, Worried about 1'ittis!!!

Hi everyone. So, I am new to the RV community; however, I have had many (did I say many) boats. The problem with that scenario is that I have lost a lot of money on many, many boats until I find the right one. Ultimately, I wanted just one more that was just a little bigger and more comfortable. SO, I'm selling the damn boat and buying a RV because I am 2 years from retirement and I am tired of boats. We are going to move back out West and would like to take trips from the home base. I can see us staying on the RV a week or so at a time, but not full time (or months for that matter). So, here is where I need some advice so I don't make the same mistake.

We really like the Winnebago View 24G coach. The maneuverability (no toad, wife can drive, etc), the fuel economy, and the build quality fit our thoughts on what we would like. However, we also looked at the WFD33C Sightseer. I think it appealed to me due to the comfort of the coach and my fear that I will get 1'itts again. Purchase cost is not an issue, but I don't want to want to loose a bunch of money flipping RV's. While the chances of "one and done" are somewhat slim - I want to give it a good shot.

Sorry for another selection thread. I have read many of them here, but I just need some folks opinion so I get my head screwed on straight. Thanks in advance for the help.
ColoradoBnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. You sound a little like me. I started at 32 then 36 and currently 40 thinking about 45. Just me but even for a week at a time 32 can get small. Sounds like you are thinking about not having a towed vehicle. You might want to rethink that, if you want to do any sightseeing driving even a 32 footer can be a PITA for drives like that, not to mention having to unhook and hook up everytime you want to go somewhere. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Jim. That's why I am worried about a 24. I know the 33 would need a toad, but I think I could get by without one on the 24 View.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
Thanks Jim. That's why I am worried about a 24. I know the 33 would need a toad, but I think I could get by without one on the 24 View.
Even though you could drive a 24 around town, you will find it inconvenient to break camp every day to go somewhere. It's certainly do-able if you have to, just not as great as it initially sounds.

Unhook water and sewer, unhook electric, pull in the awning, secure everything inside that can move, take out your leveling blocks/pads, secure your outside stuff so someone doesn't think you left it behind, then headout..........setup camp when you get back at end of day.

It's just nice to come back to your RV already setup, dinner ready in the crockpot that's been cooking all day, drinks cold in the frig, laundry done, and satellite still locked in and ready to watch.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
As an ex boater myself, I can tell you that breaking camp is way more trouble than pulling away from the dock. You WILL get 2'itis again if you start too small (or even if you start at a decent size, and then walk through some of the bigger ones).
My last boat was 36', my rv is 34' feet, that doesn't seem like much of a difference. But the boat was 14' wide and the RV is of course only 8.5' - that's a HUGE difference.

Check for enough storage to carry clothes and food and whatever else it is that makes your world 'enough'.
Counter space is often very lacking, but not immediately obvious when walking through. Have the cook in the family stand at the counter and imagine USING the galley - is there enough space there to prep a meal? Even if you're grilling out. there is often plenty of prep work to be done inside.

Personally, I would suggest you get used to idea of either a toad or a rental car when you get where you're going. Because you are NOT going to want to break camp every time you get the urge to go somewhere. And just like in a boat, everything on the counter will end up on the floor during travel. So not only do you have to put away/lock up everything outside, everything inside needs to be secured for travel.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks guys. Makes sense. I hadn't thought of breaking camp. What about size for a week long trip?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also like you liked the smaller rv. I looked for a year and kept seeing larger rv's that I liked. I finally settled on a FR Sunseeker 2800 at 30'4" for the two of us. I plan to tow a car dolly. The small ones are nice but I need a little space.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with going larger. You and the DW will soon get used to driving the longer length and then you'll enjoy it. I would definitely be looking at something that will pull a toad. It's a real hassle to break down and set up camp every time you need something. Besides there are places a toad can go that even a small RV can't.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #9

Another thought along with the inconvenience of breaking camp to go to town or out to eat, or see the sights.

My wife and I enjoy the opportunity to talk to each other while driving, I generally say something like, "Hey look at those pretty mountains", and she says something like "Watch the damn road!" . . . no just kidding, We enjoy our time together, and having her drive behind me or in front of me in a toad just isn't as much fun as having her there in the coach with me.

On size, we purchased a 38.5' with two slides, and I wish it were a 40 footer, with at least three slides now.

We too had a 36' boat, a Grand Banks with a 14' 2" beam. Next boat (down the road) will probably be a 44' Marine Trader, or a 42' Grand Banks.

I can't speak for how much room you will need, but on the forum here, more people start small and trade/buy to a larger coach than buy 40' or so and wish they had purchased smaller, just from what I've read.

I think you can go TOO large, just as I think you can easily go TOO small, but I think for occasional use, I would consider at LEAST a 33 footer or so.

Good luck in your decisions!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Bigger-smaller

I cruised my 42' boat for 18 years, sold it near retirement & bought a 28' RV (too small) then a 32' (no slides) and then a dual slide 35' and found this to be perfect. Here's how I solved the tow issue - I sold my Triumph Rocket III Touring 2300cc motorcycle, bought a custom built VW Powered TRIKE and LOVE it. I have no trailer as I simply push the trike up a small ramp into a tow boot that fits into my 2" receiver on the motorhome. My lady & I cruise out as much as 150 miles from wherever we're camping and have not found a single issue that was too much to deal with. The trike is small, easy to tow and doesn't cost us even a half mile per gallon in fuel consumption. Livin the good life! Now go do it!!
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 24 foot Dynamax isata 3 (very similar in size and capacities to the view) and we also did no think we needed a toad....well 6 months later we have a small toad. We have also found that it is a bit small for us as we are in it and traveling around for 3-4 months at a time. A bigger coach is in our future.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newbie Needs Help, Worried about 1'ittis!!!

I'll speak from what I see working at a RV dealership. VERY FEW people come in wanting to down size. A whole lot of people come in wishing they had bought something bigger.

I haven't seen it recommended yet, but why not rent a small class "C" and take it out for a week? Would let you see if it works for you, or you find it to be a pain in the backside due to size or having to break camp every time you want to go somewhere.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #13

Think about what size boat worked for you & DW... I don't think you mentioned Last and why you moved up.
We are boaters also...started w a 24' to see if DW would like it. We did and quickly went to a 28' x 11' beam had it for 12 yrs
Most recently moved up to a 34'x14' diesel trawler and love it...DW says best move we've made.
W RVs started w a Dodge van DIY conversion, bed, dinette, storage, cooler & Coleman stove.
Then a 28' CL A w/o slides
Then a 31' Winnie Adventurer (for sale) suited swell for 11 yrs
Headed to pick up a new to us 34 Newmarket Ventana diesel.
Boats IMHO are very similar to RVs...have to decide what size & features are musts which are wants and which you & DW can live without.
If you only go for a week are you there to enjoy the park or campground or to see the sights?
If former no need for a TOAD if later TOAD is a real plus
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #14

The biggest limiting factor in a small rv in my opinion is the tank size. 2 people will definitely not be able to go a week without dumping even if you are being conservative with water. Not such a big deal when you have full hookups. A total pain when you are boondocking or the place only has a dump station.

The other limit for me was the living area being so small that you are constantly falling over one another, and since we have kids and dogs the thought of living a week in that space was not so pleasant.

They are maneuverable though. In an ideal world, I'd have one of each.

We started with a 31 class C with a 16 foot slide and that really worked well floor plan wise, but it was older and we decided to upgrade. Wanted shorter, but ended up with a 34' A. Yes, you heard that right, my goal was to get a shorter RV and I ended up 3 feet longer because we could not compromise on the other things we wanted/needed.

Things I like better about the A...bathroom is not right on top of the back bed. East/West king bedroom though it is a bit difficult to make the bed because the head is in the slide. NO BOOTH DINETTE! I freakin hated the booth. We opted for the slide out table and chairs. It's awesome. Big fat fridge. Gosh, I love that thing. Slide in bedroom makes it more spacious. I haven't driven it yet, but husband says it's much easier to drive. Bigger sink/bigger shower/bigger bathroom.

Things I like slightly less. The sofa bed is a pull out with an air bed, and when it's extended you have to crawl over it to get back and forth. Wouldn't be an issue if you don't have kids or guests. Our old Class C had a hanging closet in the bathroom which I used for my daughter. We have more storage in the new one, but I miss that closet. For fulltiming, closet space might be an issue. A few more feet would solve these small issues, but they are minor to me, so we just deal.

So bottom line is, yes I too wanted a super short rv, but 30-34 seems to be that sweet spot for us. I know people love their 40-45' DPs but that is not in the cards for us right now, maybe not ever. I'm pretty happy with the layout and space of our 34.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags