Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

Newbie needs some direction

My intention is to travel about 3-4 months each summer throughout Canada and the USA, including Newfoundland, PEI, and Vancouver Island. Then in the fall to spring period I will do shorter trips maybe monthly somewhere in Florida, my home base. It's just me and the dog, but from time to time I will invite the grandkids to join me. I expect to boondock maybe 25% of the time. My late husband and I traveled on a trawler so I understand the space constraints.

I consider the Class B but I would prefer a dry bath and not converting a living space to a bed.

Then I considered the Class C. Some of the late model RV's are priced not much lower than new so that is my focus right now.

My budget is $80.

I looked at the 2020 Freedom Elite 24 FE and HE. I like the layout. The diesel is $80 plus tax, etc. The gas version is $71 plus tax, etc. I am concerned about the small fuel tank in the FE, and difficulty finding diesel in out of the way areas. Oil changes are more expensive but it is not a deal breaker. On the plus side the front seat swivel, and the diesel engine is robust.

I also looked at the Forest River Forester 2351LE. The only thing I don't like about the layout is the corner bed and having to deal with making it up and accessing the cupboards on the wall. This is coming in at $60 plus tax, etc.

Are there other manufacturers I should consider? Should I look harder for a good used RV? I think I might do this for about 5 years. I don't want to deal with major issues on a rv - did enough of that with the trawler

Your sage advice is welcome.
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

You also have to factor in whether you are going to tow a car or use the RV for sight seeing as well as traveling.

I'd suggest looking at Winnebago or Jayco units as they are usually rated higher than Forest River. If nothing else, look at rigs from other manufactures so you have a point of comparison.

I've been browsing at some class C units and this Winnebago Aspect is one that I really like due to the bedroom storage (lots of it) and the storage cabinets over the cockpit rather than a bed. Having the couch is preferable to having a dinette as you can just use a portable table in front of the couch. At one point, we downsized to a Winnebago Minnie trailer that only had a dinette, and we ended up replacing it with a nice couch.

Good luck in your search and I hope your travel plans work out better than even aticipated!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

With Covid small motorhomes are in high demand, and prices are way up on used units, Given that you want to move around a lot I would shop for something under about 26 ft, either a B+, C or even a small class A. I have a small class A, just a 28 ft model that is bit under 30 ft bumper to bumper, and travel solo about 1/3 of the time, so on average maybe 30 days per year, the rest of the time either my wife or college age son is with me. and find it has ample space when traveling solo, in fact on a 2 week solo trip a couple of years ago I realized at on the way home that I had only ever sat in 3 of the possible 7 seating positions the whole trip, maybe 4 if you count laying down on the sofa.

Personally if I were to be buying something that is a recent model, in your budget range, I would look closely at a lightly used Winnebago Vista or Sunstar 27N, 27PE or 26HE along with perhaps an electric bicycle for short range (2-3 mile) local commuting. Attached are a couple of photos of my coach traveling without a TOAD stopped at mid day roadside attraction, backed into a tight 25 ft rv space, more or less fitting into a standard parking space overhanging the curb, etc.

The Vista 27N is a foot shorter than my coach, the Vista 26HE is nearly 2.5 feet shorter, note my class A is a on a 17,000GVWR chassis, and has nearly 3,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity, many 25 ft B+ models have under 1,000 pounds of cargo capacity to carry all your stuff, clothes, food, pots, pans, BBQ grill, camp chairs, bicycle, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trek-blue-bell.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	296694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trek-fog.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	296695  

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #4

Be sure to look at Winnebago's lineup of Cl Cs. The 25B is one worth looking at. Get the gas Ford E450. Tow an inexpensive small toad. Hookup and disconnect takes just a few minutes. The toad takes you to grocery stores, laundry and sites.

The Cl B are too cramped, cost more, and don't tow as easily.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Some good recommendations above besides Forest River (which on a quality base I would avoid)
Also look at the Dynamax smaller Class Cs. They are an independent division of FR so control their own product. We had the Isata3 for two years and really liked the coach. We were also able to have a small Toad as well.
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would suggest that you consider a gently used RV, maybe 2-5 years old, that has been well cared for with complete maintenance records. That way someone else has taken the huge depreciation hit when driving off the lot, and hopefully they have gotten all the bugs out that the factory missed! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My 2014 Leprechaun was four years old with 40k+ miles on it. The dealer fixed up what had to be fix before purchase. The layout is such that I have access to all the important things with the slide in. I almost never put the slide out traveling. It has lots of outside storage and inside storage that I will not use.

In my opinion the larger the fresh water tank the better. I also like the Chevy 4500 chassis over the Ford. I have had both.

Find the layout you like and play house in it with the slide closed.

Take your time deciding.
NRR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags