Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
NO 12V to coach, UPDATE. Any thoughts??

I hope it is ok that i refresh this same old problem. As i have tried many fixes to no avail, i hope i can narrow down the issue and someone will say "Oh you need to ............."

1) no 12v power to coach. 12 v power is not getting to Battery control panel from the aux batteries. However when engine is running everything works fine.

Today i replaced the White Rodgers continuous 12 v solenoid (part 586-902). I also decided to plug my shore line into a regular 110 outlet instead of my 50 amp plug. I had no reason for this i just wanted to try something different. I went to lunch and when i got back i noticed the white rodgers solenoid clicking about every 8 seconds. It would click and buzz then click off. when it clicked i could hit my salesman switch to turn on my coach lights and everything would work for a few seconds then it would click off and not click back on for several minutes. then it would begin clicking on and off every 8 seconds. SO I thought this might be the house batteries!!

So i thought what if i disconnect my aux batteries, unplug the shore line and hook up the 12 v battery on my truck to the battery cables that go to my aux batteries, Since i had no jumper cables i decided to connect the positive cable that goes to my aux batteries and to my Motorhome engine batteries (left engine batteries grounded as they were). Guess what everything worked just as it is supposed to. So i go to town and buy 4 new 6 v batteries, hook them up and NOTHING. After turning the charger on the new batteries in about 20 minutes the white rodgers solenoid begin to click on and off every 8 seconds, and the coach battery disconnect switch would work briefly as before, but not the results is had hoped for.

Now i am thinking it must be the ground on my aux batteries is bad, since the 12v batteries were able to supply power to my coach (through the positive cable that normally goes to my aux batteries) and my battery disconnect switch worked when the power was coming from the engine batteries without the engine running.

When I hooked the positive cable that normally goes to my aux batteries up to the 12 v engine batteries i did not change the ground. So does it make sense that it is the ground for my aux batteries is bad. The aux batteries seem to charge up fine But they just do not seem to put out the voltage needed to get power to the Battery Control Center.

Sorry to ramble on and thanks for any input. Does anyone know the signs when something is about to drive them CRAZY??
rhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #2

I had to re-read what you posted 4 times just to make sure, but you've already found your problem. Chase down your NEG from your house batteries. It's either poorly grounded where it attaches at either end or is corroded and partially broken along it's length somewhere.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Newmar, thanks for taking the time. I count pills for a living, anything more complicated than counting by fives can blow my mind. I now know way more about rv elec systems than i really wanted to. I will check out the neg ground today, hope to put this thread to rest.
best regards,
rh
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #4

12v update

The other thing it might be is that your four 6v batteries are not hooked up correctly. If done incorrectly you would be sending 6v, 18v, or 24v to the coach? Check those cables too
Don
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Yep, loose ground cable under coach. Ground from aux batteries went to a junction where three ground wires went off to somewhere. found the one loosely attached to the chassis, cleaned and tightened up equal fixed problem. what made this difficult was the positive cable from the aux batteries was 12.?? volt all the way through the coach until it was attached to the Battery control center when it would mysteriously loose voltage. i guess it was grounding out>

best regards,
rh