Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #1

No Brake Lights

Morning, I am new here.
My 1998 Coachman Santara motorhome brake lights quit working. All other lights work. I replaced the switches on the brake valve, but still no brake lights. Checked fuses and they are all ok. I heard there is a diode someplace that needs to be replaced??? I cant find it. HELP
Thanks for your help in advance
Brian
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hi & WELCOME to the Forum...
?'s-- 1. -gas or diesel 2.-amber brake lights or red 3.-do both turn signals work o.k.
I've never heard of a diode in the brake circuit.
safe journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the warm welcome.
It has a single light on both sides. Its a diesle pusher 37' on a FL70 chassis. All the lights on the rear work except the brake lights, turn yes, parking yes. Brake lights No. Wish I had a wireing diagram to trace the wires out. Was told the friehtliner FL70 98 year model had diods in the harness for the brake system. Suposed to have had problems with them going bad??
Thanks for the reply
Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Knowone has any Ideas???
Old 08-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I almost went crazy(short trip) trying to find the problem with the brake lights on our 1999 Diplomat--all the fuses checked good and the wiring checked okay, even swapped the relays around, Turned out that all (three)of the relays I swapped around were bad. Went to the parts hose and electronic stores and they all wanted around $20 each for a $2 relay so being the cheap guy I am I hunted around online and found them for $1.98 each--replaced all the relays for about what they wanted for one.

Good luck,

John
Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #6

Jocat54 >< So you are saying that the brake lights go through one of the relays?? Ill try and replace them. Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 DEAD ON View Post
Jocat54 >< So you are saying that the brake lights go through one of the relays?? Ill try and replace them. Thanks

Brian, you should be able to swap around some relays to see if that fixes it--most all the relays in mine are the same.

Good luck

Let us know what you find.

John
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #8

John, I swapped arround all the relays yesterday and it didnt make a difference. Still no brake lights. I am stumped, guess I need to take to a frightliner dealer and let them fix it? Thanks for the advice
Brian
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

I found this, anyone ever run into it?
(No brake light, check unit found a bad diode in the brake light system wiring. had to remove dash cover and instrument panel to access wire harness. found diode in harness at lower steering column area. remove diode and install new harness assemble and recheck operation all ok at this time. )
Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ain't Motorhomes fun ! They can hide the darndest stuff anywere for no apparent reason. Thats what is so good about irv2, If people don't have the exact answer their responses will get you thinking. Glad you found your problem !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #11

I cant find the DIODE LOL
Old 08-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
CD

A lot of my light problems have been ground problems. An easy check is to remove the light bulb, with a tester check the center of socket for 12 volts by going to a good ground, even if you have to run a wire to the battery ground. If there is power there you have a bad ground or bad bulb.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #13

I can go to my trailer scoket and jump from the hot to the brake light terminal and the brake light work. So I think the grounds are ok. JMO I get power going to and leaving the brake swithes on the food pedal. From there they go into a huge wiring harness back into the cab. I know/think they are tied into the turn signal switch, but cant seem to trace the wires out. And I dont know what this diode is suposed to look like, I looked under the dash, moved the wires around and dont see it like mentioned before. LOST LOL
Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 DEAD ON View Post
I can go to my trailer scoket and jump from the hot to the brake light terminal and the brake light work. So I think the grounds are ok. JMO I get power going to and leaving the brake swithes on the food pedal. From there they go into a huge wiring harness back into the cab. I know/think they are tied into the turn signal switch, but cant seem to trace the wires out. And I dont know what this diode is suposed to look like, I looked under the dash, moved the wires around and dont see it like mentioned before. LOST LOL
Then ground isn't your problem. That may be good as ground problems can be a real PIA. I have never heard of having a diode in the brake wire but that is why I follow this forum. To learn some of the many many things I haven't learned in 76yrs.
Good Luck

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote