Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
I will switch to the 20 amp for now and when I get time () can look at the 30 amp breaker. The problem there is one screw for the access cover is rounded off (phillips), so will likely need to be drilled out, then the problem will become how to refasten the cover. So not to open a can of worms, I can easily use the black wire, but not switch in case the ATS is feeding back and burned out the 30 amp side of the genset. Will make an outlet to plug into which is what they should have made in the first place. IMO the ATS is superfluous and just one more thing to go wrong. Plugging land line in to gen outlet is fail safe.
These speed outs are very handy for stripped out screws/bolts. Then just get a new screw/bolt with the same thread.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedOut-8-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 10:25 PM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I WUD THINK IF BATTERY SWITCH= bad, then GEN would NOT crank? Have you checked the CIRCUIT BREAKER ON THE GEN ITSELF? Usually right beside/ behind the on GEN START SWITCH?
Old 08-06-2022, 06:19 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I’m not sure that banging on a metal box containing live electrical components that you suspect might be loose with a bare fist is the greatest idea. Just sayin’
I would not bang on an electrical system with loose screws either. Those were two different times. Both times worked at different times and many problems are caused by loose con nections.. If the transfer switch hasn't been used in awhile, it can get stuck. I found that solution on irv2. I just hit it once with Fonzie bump from side of my fist. Heard a click and power came on. Hey! If it works ....... I was happy.
Thanks for making me clarify that..
Bld #602376
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
I would not bang on an electrical system with loose screws either. Those were two different times. Both times worked at different times and many problems are caused by loose con nections.. If the transfer switch hasn't been used in awhile, it can get stuck. I found that solution on irv2. I just hit it once with Fonzie bump from side of my fist. Heard a click and power came on. Hey! If it works ....... I was happy.
Thanks for making me clarify that..
But the fact you had to bang it to get it to work shows the switch probably is not 100% and should be replaced, or if there is a loose connection that the bang improved. Loose connections are also a fire hazard because they produce resistance and resistance creates heat (think toasters).
TallPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #47

Spray screw with good penetrant . I've cut a flat blade slot in many screws, with dremel or die grinder. More oil and some taps with a hammer to loosen rust. If you have to grind or drill out just go up to next size if necessary.
ATS is usually good for 15 or more years if connections for wires checked yearly or so. Everybody seems to have had a previous connection burn up ,before deciding to keep an eye on them.
Sounds like changing yours over to plug in would be a lot of work as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Spray screw with good penetrant . I've cut a flat blade slot in many screws, with dremel or die grinder. More oil and some taps with a hammer to loosen rust. If you have to grind or drill out just go up to next size if necessary.
ATS is usually good for 15 or more years if connections for wires checked yearly or so. Everybody seems to have had a previous connection burn up ,before deciding to keep an eye on them.
Sounds like changing yours over to plug in would be a lot of work as well.
Mount a box, pull the wire in and hook to an outlet and I am done.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #49

So I had flipped the 30 amp breaker a number of times over the past few days or so. Today I changed the generator oil (ouch 235 hours on that oil but it was Amsoil Signature Series, still pretty ugly stuff coming out). Also changed the main engine oil but it only had 1800 miles in it, last changed Sept 2018!

Anyway, I then turned the generator on and went inside. Took apart the connection from generator to ATS and tested. (Previously when plugged in I got no voltage coming from ATS towards generator, so assume no problem with any back feed having burned out the generator.

But now the good news. I figured before I wire up an outlet in the land line storage compartment, I will check that generator feed. Guess what?

120 volts from the black wire for the 20 amp side

120 volts from the red wire for the 30 amp side

So I hooked it back up the way it was for the 30 amp side, then within seconds heard the ATS kick it over to power the coach. AC works and outlets work. I am in business.

I learned a lot through the process so there is no loss to having this thread.

Main loss is I wasted an hour or so last night (and shopping for the outlet and box at Menards, so two hours total), and now I don't need it. No matter, I left the parts under the dinette seat and if I need it, I can always assemble it. The parts were purchased on a Menards rebate so no loss to hang on to them.

Almost ready for a trip. Will do short trips, either Holmes County OH or Shipshewana IN for the Amish Mennonite experience (GREAT FOOD!).

Thanks all who posted. Great site when you need help, and I wish I had more time to just hang out here, but being on several other forums, my time is pretty limited.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ALWAYS BETTER to have an emergency repair part at hand when needed vs needed and do not have.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #51

This has been a great read and there will probably be a sequel.

In my experience, changing engine oil doesn’t fix electrical problems. All signs point to a failing 30A breaker. Unless I missed it, and the red wire (30A circuit) voltage was measured on the line-in side of the breaker, the information provided suggests that the breaker was not properly closing. The problem is likely to return.

The black wire in the j-box, was capped off because it is unnecessary to power the 30A coach. That wire and breaker would typically be rated for 20A, or a 16A continuous load. Having a 20A breaker upstream of a 30A panel is not something I would recommend.

Adding a 30A breaker for the generator to the shopping list and replacing it as soon as possible should be at the top of the list.
IAlreadyGot1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:25 PM   #52

I'm not certain as not looking at yours or going to search parts list but review say this fits Onan ...Bluesea is highly trusted brand of parts.Match the $70 Onan and pics I search.
Blue Sea Systems A-Series Toggle Single Pole Circuit Breakers https://a.co/d/49vuceo
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, generator