Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #1

No electric in coach with Generator but works with Land Line

2000 Gulfstream Class C

With generator on, i get no power in the coach, no charge to either the coach or chassis batteries.

With generator off and land line plugged in, i get full power in coach and the coach battery shows charging, but chassis battery not charging.

I suspect it is the battery switch, which I had replaced in 2012 because it failed. It is under the chassis fully exposed to elements. I checked and all the terminals are rusted on. Sprayed break away on it for now. Will need to disconnect both batteries before trying to remove battery switch.

But, am I targeting the right thing to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
TallPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 01:25 PM   #2

There should be an off on switch on the generator itself.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Circuit breaker on generator ok?

Sounds like you have a manual switch to select genny or shore and it looks corroded.

Check for voltages to/from the switch.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
1) Main CKT breaker at generator ( assuming gen stays running, If it turns itself off theres issues to be found in genset)
2) Throwover switch malfunction
3) Wiring issue between THROWOVER and GENSET

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR QUEST !
Old 07-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
2000 Gulfstream Class C

With generator on, i get no power in the coach, no charge to either the coach or chassis batteries.

With generator off and land line plugged in, i get full power in coach and the coach battery shows charging, but chassis battery not charging.

I suspect it is the battery switch, which I had replaced in 2012 because it failed. It is under the chassis fully exposed to elements. I checked and all the terminals are rusted on. Sprayed break away on it for now. Will need to disconnect both batteries before trying to remove battery switch.

But, am I targeting the right thing to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

I would think if genny starts and runs it would not be a battery switch. More likely breakers on genny or transfer switch are the best chances.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #6

Generator has two breakers a 20 and a 30, both are on. Also a fuse that will stop the generator if removed.

Transfer switch, is that the same as the battery switch (Coach to chassis)? That one has the heavy cables from engine battery to switch and from house battery to switch.

No maybe there is a switch inside the circuit panel? Or under the dinette seat behind circuit panel?
Old 07-30-2022, 06:40 PM   #7

The transfer switch is a 120 volt device, possibly mounted near the circuit breaker panel.

If the generator is running, it's probably making 220 volts.

If you have a transfer switch it decides if 120 shore power goes to the circuit breakers or generator power does.

Some rigs don't have transfer switchs, you plug the shore cord into a matching outlet, near the cord storage compartment.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The transfer switch is a 120 volt device, possibly mounted near the circuit breaker panel.

If the generator is running, it's probably making 220 volts.

If you have a transfer switch it decides if 120 shore power goes to the circuit breakers or generator power does.

Some rigs don't have transfer switchs, you plug the shore cord into a matching outlet, near the cord storage compartment.
Got it. Thanks. Mine would have a transfer switch, but I think plugging in would be simpler and less prone to problems. I'll have to dig under the dinette seat to see if I can find the transfer switch. No idea what such switch looks like. Maybe better off converting it so I plug the motorhome in to the generator output.

The switch i called a Battery Switch (what the dealer called it when they replaced it) under the unit with cables from both batteries coming to it and one small wire on a separate terminal, must be for charging the engine battery from 120.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #9

Ok I think I have it figured out and a simple solution

Generac 5500 watt generator. Has 5 leads:

Red (hot)
Black (hot)
White (neutral)
White (neutral)
Green (ground)

All are connected but the black lead is capped deadheaded.

The two white are combined to the white lead into the transfer switch.

The red is connected to the black lead to the transfer switch.

With the generator running I tested the red lead and get a whopping 6 volts AC. There is the problem. It is not putting out enough voltage to kick the transfer switch over. (no voltage at outlets)

However, the black lead, which is deadheaded and capped off, is putting out 125 volts AC.

So it seems to me, I just switch the black lead with the read lead and I should be good to go. No?

How can it be this simjple?

Also, that tells me the generator is set up for 240 volt and now one side is toast. No matter, guess I only need one side.

Last question. What happens if I have both the generator running and the land line plugged to a power source? Does the motorhome explode? Presumable one or the other will take precedence. Probably the land line but who knows.

So I am going to go out tomorrow after church and switch the black wire for the red wire and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #10

Auto transfer switch (ATS) is not likely inside your coach. Follow the shore power cord into your electric bay. it should stop at a box. That is your ATS. It also has the gennie input coming into it.

When you say your gennie circuit breakers ar good, did you try turning them all the way off and then back on? I would.

Do you have a multimeter. While gennie is running and no shore power, what is the voltage, at the ATS, for the gennie connection?
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
Auto transfer switch (ATS) is not likely inside your coach. Follow the shore power cord into your electric bay. it should stop at a box. That is your ATS. It also has the gennie input coming into it.

When you say your gennie circuit breakers ar good, did you try turning them all the way off and then back on? I would.

Do you have a multimeter. While gennie is running and no shore power, what is the voltage, at the ATS, for the gennie connection?
Yes that is where I was working, behind the fuse panel and under the dinette seat. I could see the land line coming in and the generator line coming in to the ATS.

Yes i did flip the gennie breakers off and on and they stay on.

Yes I used the multimeter to test voltage coming in from gennie that is where I got 6 volts ac at one lead (the hooked up one) and 125 volts AC at the other lead that was capped. This was with no shore power. I tested where the gennie wires come though the floor and connect to a wire that leads to the ATS.

See my previous post which I made while you were drafting your post and so may have missed.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
There should be an off on switch on the generator itself.
Only the switch to turn the generator on and off. Other than that two breakers.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Circuit breaker on generator ok?

Sounds like you have a manual switch to select genny or shore and it looks corroded.

Check for voltages to/from the switch.
No manual switch. My mistake in focusing on the battery switch under the coach. Problem turns out to be one side of the generator must be burned out. I found the solution (post 9).
Old 07-30-2022, 10:45 PM   #14

I doubt your genset is set for 240V output or even has that capability. What is the make/model of your genset and MH?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, generator