Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Yup .... I'd probably use Suncoast except I'm on the east FL coast and no plans to go there in the near future. So ... took the driver side window slider out and separated the panes. One is salvageable and the other is REALLY badly etched. Tried all the usual and although it's better it's still a mess. Gonna' try a Lexan pane plus the salvageable pane (dual panes). The sealant is curing now. We'll see ....
BTW, I went to 3 local glass shops and all 3 said the pane had to be cut and tempered at "the factory" (apparently due to one corner having a fairly large radius) ... about $60 per pane and around 4 weeks for delivery after they received the pattern. Hence the Lexan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #16

I had Dave "Do" the same driver's window plus a rear bedroom window. What was great besides me NOT doing it, was that Dave patiently explained each step in the process, especially why the original SE Gi failed in the first place. Dave particularly emphasize the importance in cleaning the glass panes at each step in the re-assembly. He used a foaming glass cleaner that is available at Costco.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #17

Installed the window today. the Lexan/tempered glass dual pane is the sliding window (rightmost in pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4092921.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	36628  
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Dave Root did windows on a Safari we used to own. We drove to Bend, Oregon and stayed in an RV park. He came out removed a window, took it somewhere came back & installed the window, then took the next window, etc. I'd not hesitate to HIGHLY RECOMMEND his services.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #19

Successfully dealing with window etching

I decided to take a stab at 1 of my 2 fogged and badly etched front side windows on the 2000 Damon Escaper which I recently acquired, here's what I found; 2000 grit 3M wet or dry sandpaper- wet sanding by hand (as a test) yielded near perfect results in a 1 hour period- lots of elbow grease!! Noted that swirl marks were present when only 1 spec of contamination/dirt was present under sandpaper- so it is imperative that no contamination is allowed! (I could feel/hear the difference when the contamination was present) The test window started out so badly etched that I could not make out images through it, and after polishing I see no reason to replace it. I won't comment on all the ways to reseal the windows because there are plenty of good how-to's on this forum already.

This is not for everyone to attempt because of the complexity of removing/resealing/ reinstalling the window but I have proved it possible to restore the etched glass with plenty of elbow grease and the correct sandpaper and tap water.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #20

My school years best friends dad restored cars, furniture, pianos and he used jewelers rouge to out polish glass sctatches on his split window corvette. At that time I don't remember wetsand paper availablefiner that 1000 grit.
Wonder if he ever finished that vet , it would be worth a fortune now.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have carpal tunnel problems so i use a pneumatic caulking gun similar to this one, cost about $35 at an independent tool store in the 'couv.

Harbor Freight Reviews - PNEUMATIC CAULKING GUN
Where are you at in the 'couv? I'm out in Felida.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #22

Order up a cerium oxide glass polishing kit from Amazon and let your drill or grinder/buffer do the work.

Amazon also has the flexible glass spacer. Search "super spacer". It's a silicone foam embedded with desiccant and has the adhesive on two sides. Measure the space before separating your glass. Recess the outside edge at least 1/16" and backfill with CRL 877 Super Spacer Sealant. Also available on Amazon. Tool the edge with a plastic spatula.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #23

What did you guys use on the exterior flange when reinstalling the window. I see Dave Root sells a dense foam rubber seal but it doesn't come with the #1 kit.
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
What did you guys use on the exterior flange when reinstalling the window. I see Dave Root sells a dense foam rubber seal but it doesn't come with the #1 kit.
White butyl putty tape. "RV window sealant" on Amazon or an RV supply store.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #25

1/8"?
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
1/8"?
Smooth wall or corrugated? 1/8" for a smooth wall. Let it ooze out and trim the excess with a plastic knife.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote