Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No More Foggy Windows

Yeah, I no longer have to struggle to see out of the driver side windows. I just finished the rebuild of the three windows that make up the full driver side window using the kit from Dave Root RV Glass Repair.

For those of you DIY'ers out there with foggy windows this is definitely a project you can handle. Taking my time it took me 2 days to complete. You'll need an extra set of hands to remove and reinstall the windows but the rest of the job can be tackled solo.

It was a heck of a lot cheaper than taking to an RV window repair shop, if you even have one within 1,000 miles of you. I wasn't about to risk have some residential window repair guy mess up my RV so this is a great option. The kit includes everything you'll need with one exception. The urethane used to backfill around the new seal is very thick and a manual caulk gun won't cut it, you need a power caulk gun. A $100 investment at Home Depot will get you the tool you never though you would own, a Ryobi 18V caulk gun. Here's the link to the Dave Root website http://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/.

Here's my rebuilt window that I can actually see out of again:

Glenn...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #2

I've wondered about this. We do almost all the work ourselves. We have four windows in our living room that need this. Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Muffin
Maybe a little less "liquid refreshment" and you will be seeing clearer

Cliff made me say it....
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

You can buy the sealant and the spacer from Amazon cheaper, but the spacer is sometimes hard to find in the correct thickness.

Don't reuse the old spacer as the new one has something in it to help keep the inside dry.

If you want to see pictures of how to repair, see my post on the other forum at
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Dual Pane Window Repair-My Way

When I did my windows, I did reuse the old spacer. Under certain sunlight/atmospheric conditions, I do get slight fogging. If I ever have to redo another, I will use new spacer material.

I hope the above info helps someone.

Fred
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE=MandG-Fun;1522648]Yeah, I no longer have to struggle to see out of the driver side windows. I just finished the rebuild of the three windows that make up the full driver side window using the kit from Dave Root RV Glass Repair.

Glenn,
__________________________________________________ ___________
It is my understanding that the two "inner surfaces" of the window may be "etched" by long contact with the humidity, chemicals and sunlight. How does one remove the "etching"? Did you have that problem?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got the complete set up from Dave Root, but the information about the caulking gun seems to be a must thing to buy. Now for some warm weather. Thanks for the information.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would also want to know about etching.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
Community Administrator

I've heard that an etched pane needs to be replaced.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #9

When I did my repair, I did have one pane that was etched. I tried several methods of removing the etching, including vinegar, CLR, and bar keepers friend, none of which had any effect upon the etching. I then took the etched pane to a local glass shop and had a tempered replacement cut.

Fred
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=H. Miller;1523739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Yeah, I no longer have to struggle to see out of the driver side windows. I just finished the rebuild of the three windows that make up the full driver side window using the kit from Dave Root RV Glass Repair.

Glenn,
__________________________________________________ ___________
It is my understanding that the two "inner surfaces" of the window may be "etched" by long contact with the humidity, chemicals and sunlight. How does one remove the "etching"? Did you have that problem?
Hal,

I had a concern about the amount of etching on my windows but I really wasn't in the financial mindset to do a full glass replacement on that window. I never bothered to price it out, but being 3 separate windows to make up the full unit I assume it is not cheap.

I'm not sure if different quality of glass is used from manufacturer to manufacturer (surface hardness) so my process comes with the disclaimer to proceed at your own risk. After I split the windows I used the glass cleaner that comes with the kit (includes no ingredients that will leave a residue that will impede a good seal) and 0000 steel wool and thoroughly cleaned the glass. At first I limited this to a test of the corner of the upper pane and with careful inspection I could see no scratches on the glass but is was significantly clearer. I did the steel wool treatment on all internal surfaces then cleaned the glass several times finishing up with a microfiber towel so no lint or residue was left over.

I can honestly say that there is some etching but the end result is 1,000 times better than it was and I'm not sure that the many $100's more that it would take to replace the glass is money well spent (my opinion).

As another poster mentions, there are cheaper kits out there or you could try reusing your old seals. Back to my comment about money well spent... the Dave Root kit is as complete as you could want, so that $100 or so more that it cost me was well worth it. The kit includes the seal material, urethane backfill, exterior caulk, a knife with extra blades to split the windows, single edge blades and scotch-brite pads to clean the old seal area, disposable gloves, etc. The only thing you need is a power caulk gun which you can probably find cheaper on Ebay or Amazon.

Glenn
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
if you only have one window to repair and it is etched.
Suncoast Designers can fix it cheaper then buying a Kit to do it yourself.
If not etched then it will be much cheaper then a kit.
And it will have a 5 year warranty.

Did I say it includes labor, plus a FREE electric/water/Wi-Fi site.

I will be there the 1st of May for one window fix. But it is only 309 miles and on my route North for the summer.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Yup .... I'd probably use Suncoast except I'm on the east FL coast and no plans to go there in the near future. So ... took the driver side window slider out and separated the panes. One is salvageable and the other is REALLY badly etched. Tried all the usual and although it's better it's still a mess. Gonna' try a Lexan pane plus the salvageable pane (dual panes). The sealant is curing now. We'll see ....
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
I've got the complete set up from Dave Root, but the information about the caulking gun seems to be a must thing to buy. Now for some warm weather. Thanks for the information.
i have carpal tunnel problems so i use a pneumatic caulking gun similar to this one, cost about $35 at an independent tool store in the 'couv.

Harbor Freight Reviews - PNEUMATIC CAULKING GUN
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have carpal tunnel problems so i use a pneumatic caulking gun similar to this one, cost about $35 at an independent tool store in the 'couv.

Harbor Freight Reviews - PNEUMATIC CAULKING GUN

Thanks Dan.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote