Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I am just amazed at the amount of used rvs on the market that have had no prep before marketing them.It costs little or no money to make up the beds and clean out the junk.I would think anything would sell better if it were clean and everything were ready to go.

Just my 2cents worth for some of the dealers that are struggeling
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am just amazed at the amount of used rvs on the market that have had no prep before marketing them.It costs little or no money to make up the beds and clean out the junk.I would think anything would sell better if it were clean and everything were ready to go.

Just my 2cents worth for some of the dealers that are struggeling
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #3

Have seen to same mess myself,and in most cases the units were there on a consignment basis and probably arrived there after the owner spent months or years trying to sell it himself.A full day spent on a good clean-up would enhance it's saleability but the owner just hates the sight of it and takes the easy way out.In reality,look at it as a potential good deal if you are in the market.The time has come to play hardball!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:55 AM   #4
paz

My wife and I feel the same way. When we looked at travel trailers back in 2000, all the used ones we looked at had no cleanup done on them. When we asked one dealer, they told us they got so dirty with people looking through them they just waited until they were sold to clean them up. There were some I wouldn't even step into because of the mess and smell. It seems like a used RV would be difficult to sell if people get turned off and won't even go inside.

However, as exrench says, if you can get past the lack of cleanup and if you're willing to expend a little energy, you could get a real good deal in these lean times. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. Lack of maintenance by the previous owner can come back to bite you.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
From my experience, a reputable dealer will clean the unit first. Where I have seen the dirty ones aer the private sales.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #6

I bought my Bus from a Wheel dealer in Ocala. Big dealer. At the PDI we found problems not to mention the cleanliness of the unit. The big things were repaired ,,,the cleanliness for which we were charged $200.00 for was completely forgotten. The thing was dirty, should have left it on the lot but, it was a very good buy so I didn't. I just will not go back to that dealer agin, if they can't clean it, then what else have they fudged on? So far so good with the Bus, just have dash a/c problem and that is all.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We've experienced the same thing at numerous dealers. When we ask why, they all say "Oh, we don't do anything till it sells". Apparently they don't think that a nice looking rig has anything to do with actually making the sale. Are they right? Visit the shabbiest used car lot and you will still find cars that have been polished and vacuumed - those guys know that appearance counts! RV dealers, I think, simply have so much disdain for their customers that they figure they can sell them stuff that looks like crap and merely promise to do something about it later (maybe).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #8

As long as people buys them in this shape they won't do anything different. Things get different when the rigs are not selling.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We looked at a large dealer in the Fresno area for a couple of years. When it got down to really looking, the units on the lot we dirty, holding tanks full and stinky, holes in the roof from removed dishes, and the outside required detailing. We didn't buy from them.

They said the same thing. We clean them up when they sell . Hmmm

We purchased our coach from DeMartini in Grass Valley. Our Alpine looked as good in person, as the pictures on the internet. I have to say, all of their coaches for sale were dressed to the nines.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have to agree with Gary, its not just the old coachs for sale the new ones the dealer may clean up after sale unless you note it before sale.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No surprise here. Have you seen the condition in which some people try their houses. Coaches are the same way. Those that are clean and smell good are going to sell better.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #12
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
No surprise here. Have you seen the condition in which some people try their houses. Coaches are the same way. Those that are clean and smell good are going to sell better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree 100%. Individuals may not realize that a clean coach will be easier to sell, but you think dealers would know better.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote