Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #1

How do we reset the timer so the defrost cycle works during the night. Also, does anyone else have a refrigerator that will not cool below 41 degrees. Any ideas how to correct this problem? Is there any documentation on Norcold refrigerator online?

Thanks,
Ron & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #2

How do we reset the timer so the defrost cycle works during the night. Also, does anyone else have a refrigerator that will not cool below 41 degrees. Any ideas how to correct this problem? Is there any documentation on Norcold refrigerator online?

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ron & Judy

Welcome to the list!!

I am not aware of a defrost cycle on my 4-door Norcold. Ours does cool below 40 most of the time when set on level 5 or 6. I understand placement of the "thermister" on the fins on the back of the refrigerator does affect how low it will cool, but can't tell you which direction to move it to get more cooling -- hopefully someone else will chime in on that. Perhaps a call to Norcold might be helpful.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #4

When I complained to Norcold about my fridge going up to about 41 on occasion..(I monitor it with a min/max indoor outdoor thermometer) they told me it will defrost about every 49 hours to keep the fins from icing up....I was also told the timing cycle restarts when ever you first turn on the power to it....so since it's about a 2 day cycle, dont know how to help
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ron & Judy, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. There are several things to check to be sure the refrigerator is operating properly. THere are two fans on the back that will cycle depending on the condensor temperature; in hot weather they should be running most of the time. Make sure the outside venting up the back of the unit is not blocked any by insulation. You can use a mirror to look up this area. Make sure the inside light goes out when you shut the door. Be sure the inside fins in the fresh food section have a space in front of them and that no warm food is put inside. Let food cool to room temp. A fan can be placed inside the fresh food section to help circulate the air and allow the fins to pick up the heat. If all of these are right and you still have issues give me the model number and serial number and I will help you with more technical info. Good luck and enjoy the website.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Some friends who have had cooling problems with their Norcold 1210 just learned that theirs was improperly installed at the factory when their 2008 coach was built. Norcold has strict specs for the maximum clearance at the sides and top and it appears these specs are being ignored in some coach models and floor plans. Norcold says that excessive clearance trap hot air around the fridge and causes poor cooling performance.

Apparently the issue is important, because after a tech corrected the excess space, my friends fridge temp dropped from the 45-60 range to the low 20's at the same setting.

If you look at the Norcold installation manual, it is very explicit about this.

You can download Norcold manuals HERE
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #7

You could turn the unit off and then back on at bedtime. This would start the defrost cycle 49 hours later .
My Norcold 1200 maintains a full fresh food section pretty well. It does struggle to either catch back up or cool down warm items.
My exterior cooling fans were off more than on, so I have a new fan thermostat ordered.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #8

Thanks to all who responded.

We have implemented your suggestions for the Norcold refrigerator. This is an ongoing problem and we can't find any solution.

The freezer cools down to 10 degrees. Is there anyway to reroute some of the air from the freezer to the refrigerator?

We live in Florida and the refrigerator runs all the time in this hot weather. We have put an extra fan behind the unit as well as a small fan inside of the refrigerator. Temp remains in low 40's.

In 2005 Winnegabo put in two cooling units. Two weeks later a new refrigerator.
In 2007 another cooling unit was installed. All of this was done to try to reduce the temp in the refrigerator.

Serial # is 1201LRIM
Model 8239749

Thanks again,

Judy and Ron
Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a LINK to what the back of your refrige should have with fans mounted on top of your cooling coils. These fans will operate all the time in hot weather and cycle off and on when the weather is cooler.
You have a thermister on you fin inside your box that should be approx 1 1/4" from top of fin. Some people have had defective thermisters to control your box temps. Your vent area should not be blocked by any insulation or other item and if you have refrige in a slide the top of vent should have a baffle to direct the heat out of the top of vent area.
You can place a temp fan in lower vent opening for faster cooling of coils.
There is also a thermal switch that controls the two fans mounted on top of coils that have been found to be defective.

NORCOLD LINKS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
My Norcold 1210 was shutting down (failing to cool) and after checking everything else, I found some posts here (Man, I love this site!) that discussed taping over the excess holes around wires entering the burner stack. I had some small splits in the fiberglass tape and a hole the size of a quarter. Used that aluminized tape. An easy fix for me, you might try it. 007's link is great for manuals.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote