Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
KIX

Norcold Icemaker

The icemaker in the left freezer compartment of our Norcold 1200 series reefer is leaking water. The leak appears to be between the control head and the ejector try where the ice cubes are made.
Anyone know if this is repairable and where to get parts? Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably cheaper to replace the whole icemaker, assuming the leak is there and not in the water line that feeds it. You can order one online for around $70.

RV Refrigerator Ice maker, Dometic, Norcold
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
KIX

Thanks Gary......I was thinking that would be the best solution but thought someone may just know an easy fix. I've heard that Norcold (et al) ice makers are the same as residential ones. Can you or anyone verify this? If this is true it would probably be less expensive to buy an ice maker for a residential unit rather than one with the Norcold name on it.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #4

Kix

I would do a search on ice maker -- I think I recall seeing that there is an ice maker at Lowes in the $50.00 range that will replace the one in your refrig.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #5

Kix ---- I did a quick search and this is what I found re the ice maker.

"Based on info I had on file, I went to Lowes and got a Whirlpool ice maker kit part #57773, model #ECKMF94. Cost was $44.95 after my 10% Veteran discount. It is identical to what I removed. It comes with icemaker, wiring harness, water valve/solenoid, water line, and tray."

Hope this helps
Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
KIX

Well, howdy Dave........and thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #7

Lowe's is where I got mine and David's information looks like the part I got. You don't need all the parts that come with it, but it's identical to the one used in our frig.

I was glad I changed mine out. Too many years of high mineral water.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
KIX

I'll try Lowe's today. Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
paz

There's nothing in the icemaker itself that should leak, unless the ice tray is cracked.

It's possible it's the solenoid (in the outside access compartment) that isn't shutting off completely. The water that leaks past the solenoid will flow up the tube, drip into the tray, and cause it to overflow.

Most appliance parts stores should have replacement solenoid valves. They're cheaper and easier to replace than the whole icemaker. However, if you can't find the solenoid by itself and end up buying the whole icemaker, you may want to try just replacing the solenoid first to see if that fixes the leak. If it does, you can save the icemaker in case you need it in the future.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
KIX

Thanks for all the help guys. I replaced the icemaker today today after picking up a new one at Lowe's. Very easy to do and took about 30 minutes. Cost was $49.95 and included a new solenoid.
The old icemaker had the teflon coating worn off at the end of the tray next to the motor. And there was some mineral deposits in the tray also. Somewhere I read that when this happens and exposes the pot metal water will wick up and out of the tray. That's what it looked like was happening. We'll check for ice production in the AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Kix ...I did mine last Spring with the Lowes icemaker and it cured the problem ...when the teflon wears off it does indeed seem to wick water out that end. Mine has worked great since!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
The old icemaker had the teflon coating worn off at the end of the tray next to the motor.
We had that happen to the icemaker in our former stick house. It didn't wick water out, but the ice cubes with specs of Teflon sure were unappetizing. Lowe's to the rescue.

Glad your problem is solved.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
The icemaker in the left freezer compartment of our Norcold 1200 series reefer is leaking water. The leak appears to be between the control head and the ejector try where the ice cubes are made.
Anyone know if this is repairable and where to get parts? Thanks
I just found an almost identical icemaker at Lowes for about $50. Take a look at it. I think you could probably interchange some parts.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
Lowe's is where I got mine and David's information looks like the part I got. You don't need all the parts that come with it, but it's identical to the one used in our frig.

I was glad I changed mine out. Too many years of high mineral water.
As I said in a previous quote, I bought a replacement at Lowes also. My problem wasn't leaking, but the icemaker will not dump. Also, the wiring assembly with the Lowes kit doesn't fit my Norcold. I'm thinking it may be the thermal fuse in the wiring assembly that needs to be replaced. Looks like I can get the correct wiring on EBay. Will probably try that after Thanksgiving.

Any advice, folks?