RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Norcold-No go on AC! HELP!!

I have a Norcold 1200 4 door. It all of the sudden stopped working on AC power. It works fine on propane. (well it doesn't cool the best but i think that has to do with the thermister - have a new one on the way) I've taken the back panel off and found the 5 amp glass fuse to be blown. I thought, how great as i can replace the fuse and all is good! That was not the case. After replacing and turning it to AC, it immediately blew again. At this point i have no idea what to do. Iv'e read a few things but don't know how to fix this. Anyone have this happen to them and would be willing to share how you fixed it? Thank you so much!
SMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Smar,

Get out or download the books.

That is a heater problem. The way they are built, I doubt that it is a wiring issue, but it could be. More than likely, the heater is bad. Find out how to disconnect both heater leads and they try another fuse.
- If that fuse does not blow again. Then order a replacement heater. When you get it, put it in and I would bet you are all set.
- If that fuse blows with the heater disconnected, then you will have to electrically inspect each part of the AC electric controls to find the problem. This is a failure I have seen only once and it was not a Nocold.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Smar,

Get out or download the books.

That is a heater problem. The way they are built, I doubt that it is a wiring issue, but it could be. More than likely, the heater is bad. Find out how to disconnect both heater leads and they try another fuse.
- If that fuse does not blow again. Then order a replacement heater. When you get it, put it in and I would bet you are all set.
- If that fuse blows with the heater disconnected, then you will have to electrically inspect each part of the AC electric controls to find the problem. This is a failure I have seen only once and it was not a Nocold.

Frank
Thank you so much! Do you know where i can get a book? I agree, i think it is the heater. Now i need to find where and how to replace it! Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Disconnect the two heating elements and check the resistance across the two wires. I think I remember it should be around 60 ohms. Also, set the meter to a higher scale and check the resistance from each wire to the metal case. There should be no resistance there.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

I agree, sounds like the electric heating element. If you do need to replace the cooling unit JC refrigeration has an all electric compressor type cooling unit for cheap.
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

So I just went out to check on the wires. I have two heating elements both with the black and yellow wires. Why are there two? (Sorry for the dumb question) I check ohms on both. One was right at 60 the other was showing nothing. Is that the bad one? If so should I replace both since I'll be doing one? Or should I stick to, if it's not broke don't fix it? Thanks again guys/gals!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

That 5A AC Fuse is for one thing only......AC Circuit Protection
That means the electric heating elements

Your 1200 takes TWO and both should be replaced at same time
Depending on your 1200 Serial Number WHICH replacement part number is used

SN 11231145 and below-------Norcold 618872
Norcold 618872 RV Refrigerator 110 Volt Heat Element

SN 11231146 and above-------Norcold 630807
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...element-630807

Norcold 1200 Series Service Manual
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...68C_022707.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #8

JMHO: replace both heating elements . There are two , because the manufacturer couldn't produce a single element, powerful enough , small enough to produce the heat required to operate the cooling unit properly, and fit into the space available.
Once you have the elements out , you'll see the deterioration that years of use has inflicted on the elements .

EDIT: I see Old-Biscuit , posted the same info while I was typing, sorry for the duplication.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #9

Okay , thank you all! I will go ahead and replace them both. I took a few pics.does everything look alright to you guys? My heating elements are only surrender by what looks like installation? Shouldn't it be a pipe? And should I be alarmed about the rust or is all this normal? It's a 2006. I do plan on cleaning it a lot!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180610_100537.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	206568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180610_100545.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	206569
Old 06-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

Yes looks normal

Heater Elements are inserted into the 'holders' (metal tubes) that are welded to the boiler section

Open the link to manual and go to page 30?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold