Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #1

Norcold resale value if any?

Hi,
For a variety of reasons I am considering removing the Norcold from my 1997 Winnebago Adventurer. I am just wondering, if I did so, would anyone want it ( that might be a lol type of question).
Seriously though...has anyone ever sold a working unit removed by choice? I realize these have some reported fire hazards. My 1997 Winnebago Adventurer hasn't shown any signs of burning in the 4 years I've owned it. My reasons are more about the electrical usage and gain of space. I don't use the icemaker.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

I did some math:

The Norcold uses 3 amps (at 120V AC) basically all the time, which is a 3154 kWh per year. I've run it on inverter and it is always at about 3 amps and never stops (as far as I can tell)?

A similar size (if not larger) electric fridge/freezer uses 378 kWh per year.

So I hate to get rid of something that works, but that kind of difference in electric usage is glaring.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #3

1997 ---- 23 year old rv fridge

You're right...kinda LOL question
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1997 ---- 23 year old rv fridge

You're right...kinda LOL question
I do appreciate the sanity check!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I recently removed the working Norcold fridge from my 2000 Monaco Diplomat and replaced with a residential fridge. I put the Norcold on Facebook Marketplace for free, and the next day someone came and got it. The fellow who picked it up was living off the grid and wanted to replace his old propane fridge that had just died.
So yes you can probably find a good home for it, but for free.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
I recently removed the working Norcold fridge from my 2000 Monaco Diplomat and replaced with a residential fridge. I put the Norcold on Facebook Marketplace for free, and the next day someone came and got it. The fellow who picked it up was living off the grid and wanted to replace his old propane fridge that had just died.
So yes you can probably find a good home for it, but for free.
I dropped mine from a 10 story building. This was after I tortured it.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the Norcold is working, complete and reasonably clean you could get quite a bit for it. Not enough to fully cover the costs of the swap but you'll never know until you try. Mine died with a piping clog between the freezer and fridge so I didn't bother to list it.

My one question though is why are you running it off the inverter? If shore power isn't available use the propane side of the cooling unit. The burner isn't much more than a oversized pilot light and uses very little fuel to keep the interior cold. The 12VDC used for the controller is also a very small load.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
If the Norcold is working, complete and reasonably clean you could get quite a bit for it. Not enough to fully cover the costs of the swap but you'll never know until you try. Mine died with a piping clog between the freezer and fridge so I didn't bother to list it.

My one question though is why are you running it off the inverter? If shore power isn't available use the propane side of the cooling unit. The burner isn't much more than a oversized pilot light and uses very little fuel to keep the interior cold. The 12VDC used for the controller is also a very small load.
Yes a good working unit has value. It may have many years of service before it quits. Mine gave me problems for years before I trashed it.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would definitely offer it up on CL or FB for couple hundred $. There someone that needs a working one, even at 23 years old. I did that with my obsolete 10 year old Winegard Roadtrip. A HAM radio guy wanted it to use the directional part for his mobil radio rig. Ya never know, but I’d think someone will want it something.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
I do appreciate the sanity check!
I felt that even my 2008 1210 had no resale value. The door seals weren't good anymore. I did remove the shelves, bins, electronics etc and offer for pennies on the dollar as long as buyer paid shipping. Spare parts are always good to have. The main unit was trashed after that.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #11

Would place ad on local Craigslist, a lot of preppers like to have one in case of power outages. I had one in my basement that used a 12 volt battery and 100 watt solar panel for 12 volts. A 20 lb propane tank would run it for several weeks.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

I am looking at removing the propane too, but I get your point. The Norcold works fine with propane.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #13

Thanks for a few notes above. I don't really need to recoup money on my old Winnebago, but it is interesting to get a few thoughts. [Mod Edit]
Old 10-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #14

I sold my 8 year old working Norcold 1200 for $500 on Craig's List. The sale paid for a new Haire elec refrig and a inverter which has worked out great for 3 years now.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, sale