RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #1

Normal Tire or Time to Replace?

Last weekend while detailing our coach I was applying 303 dressing to the front tires and the sunlight caught what to me looks like a potential ďbulgeĒ on the sidewall. Having a hard time determining if this was always there and just a normal variant from where the tire was constructed and the belts come together or if itís a sign of impending failure/blow out. I have read and compared several like pictures and descriptions and itís about even on normal vs defective. Tires have build date of 33rd week of 2016. Iím thinking Iíll just replace all the tires for safety but wanted other opinions as well, would you consider this normal or would you replace? I noticed this also to a lesser extent on the other front steer tire. Coach is not overloaded as cat scaled numerous times and pressures always set to 87 psi and monitored for psi/temp via TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9902EB1A-4DA2-470C-B88D-07E2025D00C4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	261602   Click image for larger version

Name:	4AF2EA02-75A3-44CE-844F-FE7E347E7479.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	261603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	34651DC6-9A07-4EFA-AE2A-A9BDE55AE62C.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	261604   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C728857-010C-4BFF-B95A-34D7106C44DD.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	261605  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Question is how many miles do you want to drive while worrying about it. I don't think any response here is going to give you peace of mind. If your confidence in them is gone it's time to change them.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

Hard to be certain from the photo, but all tires have some minor deformation where the belts overlap. Stop in at a tire store and look at some new comparable tires to compare to yours and you’ll have a benchmark.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Hard to be certain from the photo, but all tires have some minor deformation where the belts overlap. Stop in at a tire store and look at some new comparable tires to compare to yours and youíll have a benchmark.
Maybe even better, take the rig into a reputable tire shop and let them look at the tires. Hard to tell from the pictures but from what I can see, I'd bet they're fine.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Take it to a tire shop (Shop that does trucks and RVs) for advice.

Otherwise replace it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #6

Hard to believe even a Goodyear having problems on a 3 year old tire.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #7

It is really hard to tell from a picture but from what I see from the pictures is belt separation. I had a tire that I did not catch years back and the side walls went at about 70 MPH. Not a pretty sight. I did not change underwear just bought new. I would get to a good tire dealer [not a pepboys or some national chain] and have them take a look. Like I said belt or side wall separation at highway speed is not nice.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #8

Call Goodyear ASAP
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #9

Thanks all, I will take it to a truck tire shop. Iíd rather error on the side of caution but also didnít want to just throw away money if it was just me overreacting and nothing really wrong with them. Iíll try calling Goodyear too but Iím guessing they will look for a way to pass the blame on and say itís not a defect in their tire.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder4 View Post
Thanks all, I will take it to a truck tire shop. I’d rather error on the side of caution but also didn’t want to just throw away money if it was just me overreacting and nothing really wrong with them. I’ll try calling Goodyear too but I’m guessing they will look for a way to pass the blame on and say it’s not a defect in their tire.
Contact Goodyear after you have it inspected. It appears to be belt separation, as gmc70 suggested. Take more pictures JIC, even if you buy new tires, KEEP those tires until Goodyear makes a final determination, as they will want their tire inspector to make a judgement.

P.S. I sent a PM to Tireman9 asking him to view your pictures and weigh-in.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #11

Do you feel lucky? Well do you, punk? (Clint Eastwood)...
Old 09-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Last weekend while detailing our coach I was applying 303 dressing to the front tires and the sunlight caught what to me looks like a potential ďbulgeĒ on the sidewall. Having a hard time determining if this was always there and just a normal variant from where the tire was constructed and the belts come together or if itís a sign of impending failure/blow out. I have read and compared several like pictures and descriptions and itís about even on normal vs defective. Tires have build date of 33rd week of 2016. Iím thinking Iíll just replace all the tires for safety but wanted other opinions as well, would you consider this normal or would you replace? I noticed this also to a lesser extent on the other front steer tire. Coach is not overloaded as cat scaled numerous times and pressures always set to 87 psi and monitored for psi/temp via TPMS.

Really difficult to tell from the pictures. The best thing you can do is to place a straight edge across the suspect area of the sidewall. If the undulation is a depression, that is normal and is the location of the body ply "splice" or overlap.
If however, the undulation is a single bulge outward then you should have the tire inspected by a Goodyear dealer AT ONCE. Any Goodyear dealer can do this inspection. A bulge out many times is an indication of a broken cord due to impact.

The pictures don't have what I would consider "normal" bulge due to impact but again it is difficult to tell.

You could check out the pictures and the posts on my RV Tire Safety blog using the index on the left and select "Impact"
Old 09-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #13

Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks all, I will take it to a truck tire shop. Iíd rather error on the side of caution but also didnít want to just throw away money if it was just me overreacting and nothing really wrong with them. Iíll try calling Goodyear too but Iím guessing they will look for a way to pass the blame on and say itís not a defect in their tire.

In my 40 years of experience, I have found most tire dealers attempt to do the right thing. In this case, ANY Goodyear dealer would know the difference between a depression and a bulge. The only difficulty would be if there were two depressions near each other (within say 3" to 5" apart) then the location between the two depressions might appear at first glance to be a bulge.

A 12" ruler is many times the best tool available.
An impact break can be confirmed with an inspection of the tire interior as I show in my "Tire Autopsy" post.

A walk through any parking lot will reveal that most tires have one or more depressions of 1/8" or less. The cleaner and shinier the tire is the more visible these slight irregularities become.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Really difficult to tell from the pictures. The best thing you can do is to place a straight edge across the suspect area of the sidewall. If the undulation is a depression, that is normal and is the location of the body ply "splice" or overlap.
If however, the undulation is a single bulge outward then you should have the tire inspected by a Goodyear dealer AT ONCE. Any Goodyear dealer can do this inspection. A bulge out many times is an indication of a broken cord due to impact.

The pictures don't have what I would consider "normal" bulge due to impact but again it is difficult to tell.

You could check out the pictures and the posts on my RV Tire Safety blog using the index on the left and select "Impact"

Thanks! I will be taking to a Goodyear Center next week to see what they say. I heard back from GY customer service and they asked that I take it in for eval. They said if they are unable to offer assistance to have that store call their customer service number and reference a case file number they created for me. I canít think of any impact the tires could have had other than the normal interstates we have driven. Hoping GY stands behind their product as Iíve used them for everything in the past from muscle car rebuilds, to our trucks, cars,etc. would be disappointing to for them to say too bad youíre on your own.

Tags
ace, replace