Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #1

Not enough power?

We have a 2008 Bounder with a Cummins 340 . We pull a 2017 Rubicon. The Bounder is overheating when pulling over a steep pass? We had it checked with a Cummins mechanic/technician and was told the 340 just did not have enough horsepower to keep it from overheating. Has anyone else had this to happen?
nannaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You did not mention your driving habits or how you are approaching the hills. One thing I learned after reading a lot of posts is that if you have maxed out the torque on your motor, you do not want to press the accelerator down further unless the transmission downshifts. When you just press on the accelerator, you put more fuel into the motor and that just creates more heat especially if you are losing RPMs. Downshift, keep the motor RPMs up, and it will get you up and over the hill. I had an ISC 360 and not only will the heat build up, it will cause more soot buildup. After I got past my learning curve of how to drive a diesel, no more issues.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #3

When was the last time you cleaned the radiator, transmission cooler, and the charge air cooler? It's not an easy task, but oil and road grime accumulate.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannaboo View Post
We have a 2008 Bounder with a Cummins 340 . We pull a 2017 Rubicon. The Bounder is overheating when pulling over a steep pass? We had it checked with a Cummins mechanic/technician and was told the 340 just did not have enough horsepower to keep it from overheating. Has anyone else had this to happen?
General rule of thumb…. For each foot in length there should be 10 HP. So if your coach is 40 feet, you should have a 400 HP motor. I had this problem with my previous coach. It was a 32 foot DP with a 240 HP Cummins. It was way underpowered and it also heated up going up hills. Really happy with our current coach.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Or less than 100 lbs per horsepower including toads and all junk.
My is 35000# and 380 hp is about 85.
41' and 380 hp is 9.3.
Yes I want better but not at the expense of mpg. 8.8 now.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
As others have said, keep the rpm's up to improve air and coolant flow.

Also, as a regular maintained cooling system will, or at least should cool your engine, I would be looking at cleaning the rad and CAC also. You should be able to shine a strong light through both of them and see it on the other side. If not, clean it out.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is a very common complaint. They run fine on flat ground and overheat in the hills. Underpowered coaches can cause heat issues if you wring their necks while climbing, but think about large trucks, especially older ones that carried huge loads without issue. More moderate driving and just going slower in lower gears may help, but probably isn't the only issue.

As many have mentioned, the cooling system can look relatively clean, but really be starving for air flow. The radiator and CAC, (Charge Air Cooler for the turbo) which is the same size as the radiator, are stacked one in front of the other with only about 3'-4" between them. The outside of both may look clean, but you need to look in between them. I've seen some that look like hair was growing between them. It can be quite a job to get them clean, but it needs to be done well once and then it's a much easier job to rinse them once a year. When I had my rear radiator, flushing the exterior of my radiator and CAC was part of the yearly service.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannaboo View Post

Have you tried down shifting to around the 2,000 rpm range and just let it do its thing?
Old 01-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #9

Power makes heat ! How can the lack of power make it overheat.

Has it done this since new ? If its always overheated then it's a bad design.

If its only started overheating in recent times, I would have the cooling system looked at.
Radatiors get dirty both inside and out. If they can't exchange the heat fast enough that's a problem.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What series engine do you have.

My 2002 Windsor 38PKD has a 350 ISC, it's not a rocket ship but gets the job done and considering my coach is very heavy I'm satisfied with it's performance. I pull a Jeep GC and most of the time I'm passing semi's on most grades. I have a side radiator unit which is an advantage as far as air flow and the ability to keep clean.

If you engine is getting hot I'd suspect your rear radiator stack is dirty. Lots of posts on this. Keeping a rear radiator stack clean is key to running lower temps.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Power makes heat ! How can the lack of power make it overheat.

Has it done this since new ? If its always overheated then it's a bad design.

If its only started overheating in recent times, I would have the cooling system looked at.
Radatiors get dirty both inside and out. If they can't exchange the heat fast enough that's a problem.
Actually my initial trip home with my 42 foot Phaeton ISC 360, I encountered a gradual grade that went on for miles. I started to lose RPMs and speed. My thought at the time was to simply push the accelerator down more. Since the motor was already putting out 100% of available torque, the only thing more fuel did was create more heat. Eventually it overheated. What I really needed to do was to downshift, get the RPM's back up, and lessen the load by running at a lower gear. After learning that, never had an issue again with overheating and never lost speed to that degree either. Since that time, multiple times through mountains including the Rockies.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #12

…… Post #3 ….. 14 years old rig; probably could use attention & maintenance…..
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I concur. You probably need to spend some time cleaning the radiator and CAC coil. I'm guessing that Bounder is around 38 feet and 33,000 lbs. My last coach had a ISB 340 hp and with roughly that same size and weight. I crossed the Rocky Mountains in mid summer without any over heat problems.

Personally I thing your motor /coach combination should work good if all is in good order
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Clean cooling system and then learn good driving habits by gearing down and keeping the engine in maximum torque band to keep from overheating. Do not lug the engine. You do not need to be the first one over the top.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power