Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

Not really a towing question but yes it is

This is not really a towing question but more of a finding where to park while towing.
I belong to a soaring club here in NW Florida / lower Alabama. The club just bought a replacement glider but it is in Reno NV. and we need to go get it.

The wife and I have a 31’ class A and might be willing to make the trip. We would be pulling the club's glider trailer both ways. The trailer is just less than 40 feet long. Gliders have very long wings.

The trailer with the glider on it would weigh less than 2,000 pounds, so weight is no problem, but finding a place for overnight stays with the total rig length at about 70 feet is a total unknown for me.

Also, the trailer is single axle with the wheels about mid length on the trailer so when making a turn the back end of the trailer needs lots of room to turn. So most RV parks we’ve stayed in would not have enough room to maneuver without disconnecting the trailer.

Since the trip will take about ten days we don’t want to boondock the whole way. Part of making the trip, besides the club footing some of the fuel bill, is to do some sightseeing along the way and see some the country we have not been to before. Yet that may not be possible, I just don’t know.

Does anyone have any experience doing this kind of thing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

When we managed an RV park for a short time many years ago, the park had a secure storage area where those in a situation similar to yours could store their trailers. It was also used for cars, golf carts, boats, etc. but it was a well lighted, locked, and surveilled area.

I've seen other parks that do have storage areas. Maybe you could research before you leave in order to plan on staying at parks were you could store your glider? ...or maybe you wouldn't trust having it in such a location and want it by your side?

I suppose you could also pre-plan on staying at places that have pull-throughs long enough to accommodate your length. As an example, here's a place that might be near where you're headed that has exclusively pull-through sites that are 100' long: Eagle's Landing RV Park

Or maybe parks that have enough maneuvering room to be able to park the trailer in the spot where your toad would normally be parked if it's a side-by-side arrangement.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just something to think about.......Usually, you won't be stopped for an over length vehicle. Most officers don't care and typically can't determine an over length vehicle by just looking at it.

However, your rig will stand out (glider) and may draw unwanted attention. You will most likely be over length in several states.

Regarding campgrounds......you may have to do some Google aerial searches of campgrounds and book ahead to make sure you get a long pull thru with wide enough roads to make the turns.

If the group uses a manual dolly to roll the trailer around at the glider field, you may want to see if you can pack it, to get you out of tight spots.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Why not do your sightseeing on the way to pick up the glider, and rail it home PDQ?

Truck stops will have plenty of room to park and dry camp.

If needed, you might find a CG or 2 that can fit you in on the way home.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #5

Thank you all for the very good input. It gives me some things to think about.

I had not even considered being over length and with my luck I’d find some new State Trooper or DOT’er with a 100’ tape measure in their car and out to prove they are doing their job.

It seems all the other concerns I had can be overcome except the length. Oh well, the club will have to find someone else to make the trip.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
Thank you all for the very good input. It gives me some things to think about.

I had not even considered being over length and with my luck I’d find some new State Trooper or DOT’er with a 100’ tape measure in their car and out to prove they are doing their job.

It seems all the other concerns I had can be overcome except the length. Oh well, the club will have to find someone else to make the trip.

Thanks again for the input.
Again....towing over length is rarely enforced. We towed our pontoon boat 750 miles every year to a campground, mid state. I was 73' long in a 65' state. I did have to make a couple of perfect turns to get the rig through a campground we use.

If you did get stopped, they would most likely just have you park it. Have you thought about using a truck to pick it up. Maybe have the glider group pay for the rental and fuel.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just FYI here's a link to towing restrictions in the states..........

https://www.glen-l.com/designs/trail...iler-laws.html

It's from 2004, but likely hasn't changed much if at all. You can look up the states you would, or will be going through and decide for yourself.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

If you stick to interstate highways being over-length as a private vehicle should not be a problem. Two-lane state highways are where you might get stopped.
Unplanned tourist offered a good suggestion on sightseeing on the way to pick up the glider. Then you can use the most direct interstate route going home. Is that not viable?
I have never in 64 years of driving saw a private vehicle/rig stopped for over-length. Regular policemen usually do not concern themselves with DOT violations unless there is a crash, that is left to the DOT trained policemen..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

Once again thanks to all for the very good suggestions.

There is a time constraint on getting to Reno quickly. The club has to finalize the deal so the club we are buying the glider from can get paid. Once we have completed the transaction then there is no rush getting it back to here.

One of the advantages of being in a flying club is that several members fly for UPS/FedEx or airlines for a living. So the current plan is that one pilot is taking a pick-up truck and the trailer to Reno this week, get the glider on the trailer and then catch a flight back. Then another member is rearranging his piloting schedule to fly out to Reno and drive the rig back.

Maybe in the future if this problem comes up again I will be better informed and able to volunteer and make the trip.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great you have it worked out. Sorry you will miss out on a nice road trip, except the stretch between Las Vegas and Reno. That's like "Driving through a giant cat litter box" as my wife described it. And she usually likes open country.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #11

I don't know what your travel experience is, but things tend to get a lot more open and spacious once you get to west Texas, though I would still suggest scouting out potential stops along the way using google satellite view. Also Texas allows overnight parking in all roadside rest areas unlike Florida, and Texas has some massive rest areas along the interstates there is one about 10 miles west of Fort Stockton, TX that probably has spaces for nearly a hundred 18 wheelers, there is another large one around San Antonio, though I forget if it is east or west of there.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #12

Once again thanks to all who answered my questions.
Just posting a follow up with a picture of our clubs new glider and the trailer that bought it to our airfield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glider arrives email.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	321063  
Old 03-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #13

Thanks for posting the update
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, towing question