Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #1

Not welcome at Walmart

Last night we pulled into the Walmart in Marina, CA at about 8:30, lowered the jacks, closed the curtains, opened the beer and sat back to enjoy the ballgame until it was time for bed. At about 9pm we heard a PA announcement from what we soon learned was a local police car, saying that there was an ordinance in the city of Marina prohibiting any overnight RV parking (presumably OCCUPIED overnight parking) anywhere in the city and that if we were still there at 10pm we would be cited.

Apparently the local city council trumps Walmart in Marina. Is that common or is Marina an exception.

Jeff
Fatbear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
It is common in many locations, not just in CA but in other locations around the country ...local ordinance (law) does trump WalMart policy if the locals want to enforce it. In a few places they have the ordinance and don't enforce it. In any case, you should always talk to the on-duty manager and ask if it is ok for you to spend the night (sometimes helps to be pushing a cart with some items to purchase in it!). If nothing else, you will know it is not permitted in that location!!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wal-Mart

whatever AFChap wrote + NO jacks, NO slide out.

In these "tuff" times, many cities will help their voters to get a few more pennies into the accounts........ Since it is published online or in the Wal-Mart atlas, those cities most likely will be by-passed by RVers. After a few years those by-laws will come off the books.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Since it is published online or in the Wal-Mart atlas, those cities most likely will be by-passed by RVers. After a few years those by-laws will come off the books.

TW
Bypass a town because I can't overnight at WM? How many miles out of our way should we go before it becomes cost prohibitive? Maybe we can approach WM about moving, or at least leasing a site out of town for us to park with shuttle service to the store.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbear5 View Post
Last night we pulled into the Walmart in Marina, CA at about 8:30, lowered the jacks, closed the curtains, opened the beer and sat back to enjoy the ballgame until it was time for bed. At about 9pm we heard a PA announcement from what we soon learned was a local police car, saying that there was an ordinance in the city of Marina prohibiting any overnight RV parking (presumably OCCUPIED overnight parking) anywhere in the city and that if we were still there at 10pm we would be cited.

Apparently the local city council trumps Walmart in Marina. Is that common or is Marina an exception.

Jeff
Same thing happened to us 5-6 years ago in Arroyo Grande, Ca. Even though management told us that Walmart didn't have a problem with the over night parking, the city had a ordinance against it. After we had dinner and I was ready to hit the sack, a knock on the door, the local police told us they were sorry but we had to leave.
It seems the people that had homes over looking Walmart fought against having it there, so anytime a r/v parks there during the evening hours they call the p.d.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #6

Parking at Wal-Mart

What the proponents of the local ordinances fail to recognize is if I can't park there I certainly won't be shopping there and thus, I pay no sales tax there. Generally the ordinance initiators have an ax to grind, i.e neighbors who don't like generators running all night, or it could be local campground owners who see overnight parking at Wal-Mart as lost revenue, etc. Sometimes the local establishment even forces W-M to erect 9 foot barriers so we can't even get in the lot. However, if you check, there is always one entry point without barriers so the 18 wheelers can make deliveries. Safe travels, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

Not being one who has frequented Wallmart parking lots for a few hours rest. I was always of the impression that one should ask prior to setting up.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

Often the rules are pushed by local campground owners as well who don't want to lose the income despite the fact that I only want to come in after 5 and leave by 9 without using any of their facilities. If a campground owner would just offer a discounted late in - early out option I would likely quit going to Wal-Mart at all.
Even in areas where Wal-Mart "used" to allow RVer's many of these stores get complaints due to the owners "camping" there. Awnings out, cooking on the grill, slide-outs, sitting outside in their chairs getting a bit of sun, etc. Wal-Mart is not a campground and the RVers abuse of this privilege is going to ruin this overnighting option (not a weekend stay) for everyone else.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have noticed that the newer Wal-Marts in our area have pretty much designed RVs out of their parking lots. The narrow routing and curbing makes it almost impossible for RV to get into and out of their lots. In a couple of them it difficult to get my pick-up in and out. Some of the turns are impossible if you plan on staying in the proper lane.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
TW][/B]
Since it is published online or in the Wal-Mart atlas, those cities most likely will be by-passed by RVers. After a few years those by-laws will come off the books..
TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Bypass a town because I can't overnight at WM? How many miles out of our way should we go before it becomes cost prohibitive? Maybe we can approach WM about moving, or at least leasing a site out of town for us to park with shuttle service to the store.
Almost like bypassing a state that doesn't allow you to camp at rest areas.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roberts View Post
What the proponents of the local ordinances fail to recognize is if I can't park there I certainly won't be shopping there and thus, I pay no sales tax there. Generally the ordinance initiators have an ax to grind, i.e neighbors who don't like generators running all night, or it could be local campground owners who see overnight parking at Wal-Mart as lost revenue, etc. Sometimes the local establishment even forces W-M to erect 9 foot barriers so we can't even get in the lot. However, if you check, there is always one entry point without barriers so the 18 wheelers can make deliveries. Safe travels, Ken....
The local ordinances aren't meant to keep you from shopping at Walmart, but rather, camping. Easy for law enforcement to tell when they see the jacks down and the slides out.

I have yet to see any store that erected barriers to keep people with RVs out. I don't easily maneuver in these parking lots with 34 ft Mh and a 20 ft horse trailer, but never seen one that would keep me out.

One time I did pull into a gas station that asked me to move my rig to another pump so I did, of course, the pump was at another station.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is from one of the reply's, how many of you have seen this ? No way will I be a part of it, or would even think of putting my jacks down. This is a COURTESY FROM WALMART, let's protect it.
David G.

Awnings out, cooking on the grill, slide-outs, sitting outside in their chairs getting a bit of sun, etc. Wal-Mart is not a campground and the RVers abuse of this privilege is going to ruin this overnighting option (not a weekend stay) for everyone else.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbear5 View Post

Jeff
check this free website for walmart locations that allow overnight parking and those who do not. the rule about asking the manager on duty still applies. this is parking, not camping.
Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The easiest way to determine if overnight parking is permitted is to buy the Wal-Mart Atlas, which contains a list of all Wal-Marts and call ahead and ask if overnight parking is permitted.

This allows you to better plan your route, and avoids waiting in the customer service line which can be quite long.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote