Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Novice Question About Trickle Chargers

I am a new owner of a Thor Freedom Elite Class C and am storing it for the winter for the first time. I rented a parking space with access to electricity because it said it could allow for a "Trickle Charger." I have 2 house batteries and a chassis battery. The source of electricity is at the back corner of the vehicle on the opposite side of the house batteries.

Should I look for a setup that chargers all three batteries? The trickle chargers seem to come in configurations to charge 1, 2, or 4 batteries. If I need to charge the chassis battery, can I charge the two house batteries in parallel using a two lead trickle charger? Am I better off to get a separate charger for the chassis battery- if I need it at all? Is there any advantage to using alligator-style clips versus rings that fit over the battery posts?

I live in upstate New York if weather has any bearing on this.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice!
acwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The two house batteries will charge as one battery, so you'd only need a charger for two batteries. In your case it's one battery and one battery bank, but it's the same thing.

Get a good three stage charger, with output for two batteries, that way it won't over charge the batteries.

Alligator clips vs post rings is really more of an issue of whether or not you're going to permanently mount it. If permanent mount using rings so that the leads don't come off. If temporary mount then use the clips. Either way you'll get power to the batteries.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #3

I installed a cutoff switch (not the salesman's switch) in the positive line from the coach batteries (some unit s come with this). I have found that when I put the unit away with fully charged batteries, they have been almost fully charged when I return. Same with the chassis batteries. Don't know what the charge is but never had a problem starting them.

I do, however, visit the rig every month to run the generator so that might have something to do with it.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #4

Battery chargers are generally by voltage not by number of batteries.

If your motorhome has an inverter/charger like most do then you can use an adapter to plug it in. If you turn everything off including your 12v salesman switch and your entertainment circuit breaker and the inverter then the power draw by the coach will be very low.

The chassis battery may or may not have a charge path from the inverter/charger. You can tell by monitoring the chassis battery voltage when everything is fully charged. If it ever gets bellow 12.5 it is not getting charged, if it's over 13 volts then it is being charged. If it's not being charged and it's a good idea to add a trickle charger, you want a 12 volt charger for this purpose.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Salesman's Switch

Thanks to all who have shared their experience. What is a salesman's switch?
acwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #6

No such thing as a salesman switch, they are erroneously referring to the battery disconnect switch near your door.

Not sure why an inverter/charger was mentioned. They are not as common as some think. 90% chance that you don't have one.

Post # 2 had it right.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwade View Post
Thanks to all who have shared their experience. What is a salesman's switch?
Battery Disconnect Switch...typically located at entry area

See pgs 64-72 for Battery/Charging Info
https://media.thormotorcoach.com/med...l-june2010.pdf

Plugged into an AC Power at storage your RV Chraging System should Maintain batteries
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No such thing as a salesman switch, they are erroneously referring to the battery disconnect switch near your door.

Not sure why an inverter/charger was mentioned. They are not as common as some think. 90% chance that you don't have one.

Post # 2 had it right.
Sigh, lots of people refer to the battery disconnect relay switch as a salesman switch silly to say no such thing. I guess there is also no such thing as a stinky slinky either.

The only RV I have ever owned is a class A , I guess I wongly assumed all motorhomes would have an inverter. If the OP has an inverter/charger or just a charger really doesn't impact the advice I gave to use it to charge his house batteries vs an external charger.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Sigh, lots of people refer to the battery disconnect relay switch as a salesman switch silly to say no such thing. I guess there is also no such thing as a stinky slinky either.

The only RV I have ever owned is a class A , I guess I wongly assumed all motorhomes would have an inverter. If the OP has an inverter/charger or just a charger really doesn't impact the advice I gave to use it to charge his house batteries vs an external charger.
The OP stated he was a Novice. Why would he know any of that ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The OP stated he was a Novice. Why would he know any of that ?
Get over yourself. I was not trying to imply he knew anything, i was only offering advice.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

Lots of good advice above. I hope you don't mind the "brother to brother" bickering. I like it. It keeps life interesting.

Three ways to maintain batteries for storage as posted above.
Complete disconnect
Use on-board charger
Use auxiliary maintainers

Battery voltage in all cases needs to be above 12.4 volts for storage. Be sure to monitor battery terminal voltage periodically until you know everything is working correctly. It is simple. Battery voltage in all cases needs to be above 12.4 volts and below 13.8 volts for storage.

Different models of RV's are wired differently. Sometimes the chassis engine start batteries are kept charged by the on-board charger and sometimes not. Sometimes batteries are still charging when the "salesman switch" is "off" and sometimes not.

Monitor the terminal voltage of both battery sets at 1 week, 2 weeks, a month, and 5 months. When plugged in, voltage should stay above 13.0 volts. You can stop checking. Check water level at least monthly.

If voltage is dropping, take action to recharge. Stay above 12.4 volts for long service life.

If voltage continues to be above 13.8 volts, your charger is overcharging. Some cheap maintainers are not regulated well enough. Some maintainers provide a short burst to 14.4 volts to stir up flooded cell batteries. Short burst are OK for flooded cell batteries. 14.4 is bad for most AGM batteries. It consumes water in flooded cell batteries.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Your two house batteries charge as one large battery, so connecting a "trickle charger" to either will service both. Some coaches also charge the chassis battery while the house system is at or near full charge, so yours may handle that as well. If not, you could use a second set of charger leads (if available) or simply connect jumper cables from house to chassis batteries to get the same effect. If you would post the year/make/model of coach, we could probably tell you if yours charges the chassis battery while on shore charging.

More or larger batteries can absorb more charging amps, so a charger rated for 2 or 4 batteries probably has a bit larger output amp capacity. That's a plus, but not an important one if all you are doing is keeping them alive during storage. For your 3 batteries in storage conditions (all coach power is off), a couple amps of charger output should be enough. 3-4 amps is generous.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Be careful if you buy a trickle charger. Some will keep a battery (or set of batteries) fully charged if they start out fully charged. But if not fully charged, they will not bring them up to a full charge. Others will work like normal chargers. Check the fine print on the box prior to purchasing.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger