Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Now I've done it! import export motorhome.

I traded off my Canadian Motorhome to a U.S dealer. So I'll be taking my current Tiffin Motorhome down and exchanging it for a Used 2021 Tiffin. I need to import my old to the USA and then import my new to Canada in March of next year. Can I do this myself or do I need a broker. What information will I need. I would like to leave by the 9th of November (4 days) can I get it done in time? Thank you very much.
Gdoubleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We imported our coach. Has to be on the approved list from Transport Canada.

We needed a bill of sale, compliance letter and title to get across. Well lots of money as well as we needed to pay the tax. Also had to get Nivis that had be confirmed by an inspection before we could register the coach. Our dealer did most of the paper filing that was required. You have to file with the border crossing you are using to return.

Inspection on the US side before proceeding to Canada.

I have heard that there is now a requirement to electronically file before crossing the border. Hopefully your dealer has had some experience and can help file some of the information.

I dont think it is too difficult and I think you can save brokerage fees by doing it yourself.

Here is a link to start from and hope it helps.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=53086...dGF4JTIw&ntb=1
Old 11-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Gordon, that is a good article you referenced. My first challenge will be to get the mh properly imported into the USA. I have filled out the HS7 document online and will take it with me to the border. It is a declaration stating of the vin, where I am crossing, year, make model of unit. I have the original bill of sale, and requested the letter of compliance from Tiffin. I am wondering about the speedometer that is in km/h, will they make me change that or can that be done at the dealer in phoenix. I have also heard they crosscheck the vin and look at the original bill of sale and away you go. Its not that I don't want to use a broker, but I think I have all information myself. Is this enough to get me across and have it properly imported? thank you
Old 11-05-2022, 12:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I import/export vehicles into canada and the US several times a year. An RV is no different that a car or truck. it's easy to do yourself, however, criteria does change occasionally. Sometimes US customs wants a licensed dealer/broker to do the import/export forms, sometimes not. It seems to depend on the person working that section. It's best to phone the US border crossing and ask for guidance. In my experience, they're very friendly but business is business. The Canadian side lately seems to be less of a hassle. Ensure you have all the correct documents and confirmation of import compliance. The last two times, all they did was a cursory glance at the paperwork but much, much more emphasis on their arrivecan app that I didn't use and how I was gonna pay the import taxes!
Old 11-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
thanks for that, do they care that the dash is metric when I Import from Canada? Thanks
Old 11-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoubleoo View Post
thanks for that, do they care that the dash is metric when I Import from Canada? Thanks
No.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
great thanks. I'll call someone at the border tomorrow, see what they say.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #8

Are you aware that you will be taxed on the entire amount of the purchase n NOT including your trade in. So lets say you paid $300,000 for the Tiffin and they allowed you $100,000 for your trade. You would pay the GST and probably provincial tax on $300,000. Did the dealer charge you sales tax? In some states you pay the tax and it is not refundable
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
yes I am aware. I had a choice of taking an out of state delivery or paying state Tax.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:07 PM   #10

Older thread but I have a question, if I buy a US motor home how to I get plates for it to get it back to Canada?
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:23 AM   #11

Your province should give you a transit or temporary registration. Usually good fir a very limited time.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-08-2023, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Your province should give you a transit or temporary registration. Usually good fir a very limited time.

Its only good for 10 days and some of these rigs are down in Texas/Nevada/Arizona. I guess I could banzai it down and back, but would prefer more time.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #13

When I imported you could post date
So you would have 10 days from the time you leave.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-08-2023, 07:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
Older thread but I have a question, if I buy a US motor home how to I get plates for it to get it back to Canada?
Our dealer acquired a transit sticker from the state we purchased the coach in. it was good to get home. Although the transit sticker is time limited I think that a rational reason to return would be accepted by any inspector. When we crossed the border with our coach the border people did not look at it. They were concentrating on preparing the proper paperwork and collecting the GST and NVIS fee.

I doubt the province will issue a transit sticker as the unit has not been inspected for import.

I wonder if you had a license from a previous unit if you could place it on the new rig? We have an option that allows us to move a license plate from a previous unit to a new one. As long as you have the registration and a bill of sale it is good. There is a time limit to register.

Tags
export, import, motor, motorhome, paperwork