Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

Nubie Question. Is it normal for the generator to strain under electrical load ?

I have a year 2000 Hurricane Class A motorhome. The generator has about 250 hours, and the chassis has 23,000 miles. I had the carb cleaned for the generator just a few months ago. I have not used the motorhome yet but I run the generator every 8 weeks to keep the carb in shape.
Question-- I noticed that If i run the A/C using the generator that the generator slows down a bit from the A/C electrical drain. And if I turn on the microwave additionally at the same time, the generator slows down a bit more in its idle speed. When I disconnect or turn off the A/C and microwave the idle on the generator goes back up to a high RPM. IS this normal ?

Does electrical drain actually affect the generator idle speed where it is quite noticeable ? Is that NORMAL ?
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No. May draw it down slightly with applied load, but should come back to speed (1800 rpm) to maintain. It shouldn't continue pulling the rpms down the more load you add as rpms need to maintain voltage and frequency.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
No. May draw it down slightly with applied load, but should come back to speed (1800 rpm) to maintain. It shouldn't continue pulling the rpms down the more load you add as rpms need to maintain voltage and frequency.
Would you know what would cause the RPMs to drop under load ?

There is no surging, just a slight drop in RPMs under load .

The drop in RPMs is only slightly (10% or 15% drop) with the A/C on the roof (I have a single A/C unit) but if I run the A/C AND the microwave at the same time, the RPMs on the generator drop off as if the generator is under strain or load. With the A/C AND the microwave on the Generator Slows down about 20 or 25% from the No Load speed.

some additional info....I used to have a surging issue real bad before the carb was cleaned out, but that was resolved after the carb cleaning that was completed a few months back.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

When you put a genny unload they sound different because the engine is having resistance, kinda like a lawn mower going in thick grass and the engine has to speed up it's a Deeper sound. Check your voltage under load if it's fine so are you.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
When you put a genny unload they sound different because the engine is having resistance, kinda like a lawn mower going in thick grass and the engine has to speed up it's a Deeper sound. Check your voltage under load if it's fine so are you.

How would I check voltage ?

Would you suggest I connect a voltmeter into an 2 prong house type outlet in the kitchen area ?

ALSO And what is NORMAL voltage range ?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

When I start my gen it runs at a certain noise level. As I add appliances such as the AC and microwave, it changes pitch and definitely starts to strain. Interesting, my MW works great on shore power. But when I run the gen, the keypad is non responsive until I run the AC, which apparently drops the voltage just a bit. I've not had this looked at as for us it is a non-problem.

You can get a kill-A-Watt to help show the voltage or just a volt meter.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
When I start my gen it runs at a certain noise level. As I add appliances such as the AC and microwave, it changes pitch and definitely starts to strain. Interesting, my MW works great on shore power. But when I run the gen, the keypad is non responsive until I run the AC, which apparently drops the voltage just a bit. I've not had this looked at as for us it is a non-problem.

You can get a kill-A-Watt to help show the voltage or just a volt meter.
Good to hear from you again Tom !! Thank you for always answering my posts. You are a true friend. Mark
Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
x2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
250 hrs on a 2000 unit, you may want to take it to a generator shop and have them 'load bank' it. May pay to have someone professionally look at it and they can diagnose any issues.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Can't tell what the speed is doing by listening to the sound the motor makes as load is applied and you can only tell by using an external RPM meter, or more conveniently, a Hz (cycles/second) meter - which is often included in even fairly cheap digital multimeters.
Yes, check the voltage and the frequency by inserting the test probes into the normal power outlet - but be aware of the hazards involved and know the correct procedure for doing it safely.
BTW don't expect either reading to be rock steady as load is applied and shed - because the control systems generally aren't perfect and don't need to be either in this application,
Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check voltage - likely normal noise change with load..
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrving View Post
but I run the generator every 8 weeks to keep the carb in shape.
Small point but running a generator (every month for an Onan) is to remove moisture from the gen. windings. If worried about the fuel/carb. - there are additives for that
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Can't tell what the speed is doing by listening to the sound the motor makes as load is applied and you can only tell by using an external RPM meter, or more conveniently, a Hz (cycles/second) meter - which is often included in even fairly cheap digital multimeters.
Yes, check the voltage and the frequency by inserting the test probes into the normal power outlet - but be aware of the hazards involved and know the correct procedure for doing it safely.
BTW don't expect either reading to be rock steady as load is applied and shed - because the control systems generally aren't perfect and don't need to be either in this application,
You seem to be knowledgeable in this area. May I ask then....

I seem to be getting some minor surging of the generator with microwave on cooking when a electrical load is applied. I notice that the microwave interior light flickers and coordinates a bit along with the surging/dropping RPM's of the generator when I am cooking with the microwave.

I guess that my main two questions specifically are

1) is it normal for the generator to "fight" or waver in RPMs under microwave load ?

2) If not, then what would cause the wavering/dropping/surging in RPM's and output of the generator ? would dirty carburetor cause it ? Remember, I ONLY get surging/wavering/dropping in generator RPMs with load. Without any load, the generator runs steady strong.

3) I appears form all indications that the voltage or power emitted from my generator is varied ( an assumption from the observation of the microwave interior light flickering coordinating with generator RPM surging or dropping ) . So my question specifically is .....
Is it normal for generators to CONTINUALLY surge in RPMs ( and voltage) UNDER LOAD ?

I do not need a "perfect" operating generator. I bought a used motorhome that is 13 years old and as long as the generator operates the appliances I am fine. I do not want to spend money to replace or repair any electrical components in the generator to improve this condition other than cleaning or replacing the carburetor since I am a only use the RV 2 weeks a year RV operator/user.

But I am wondering If this is normal or if the carburetor needs to be cleaned out or serviced again.

4) PLEASE NOTE THAT ....The generator carburetor was serviced/cleaned out 3 months ago because I was getting MAJOR surging WITHOUT any load BEFORE the carburetor was serviced, and cleaning out/servicing the carb resolved this surging (without load) issue and the generator now runs steady, but I noticed minor surging WITH load, and am wondering if I still have a carburetor issue OR this minor surging WITH load is normal???
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

It shouldn't change RPM except very slightly when the load changes, picking up again within a second or so. I'd suggest getting a "Kill-a-Watt" meter. It includes an electrical frequency selection, so you can tell for sure if the generator frequency drops under load. For systems using ac power, big frequency drops are potentially harmful, particularly to systems with synchronous motors in them.

I would be very suspicious of the generator's governor system. The older models (my rig's an '02, so the generator is probably an '01) have a real Rube Goldberg set-up with springs and piano-wire push-rods. The forces generated in controlling the RPM are relatively light, so a sticky bearing or a slight mis-alignment could be interfering with the governor operation.

Tags
electrical, generator