Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
Horseheads
Piece of cake I'm in Big Flats.
Small world.
PM me anytime and I can provide contact info.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Hmmm...in looking for more info, I ran across this:

"This is just what I posted about upthread--the lack of a motorhome endorsement on a person's driver's license could be used in a lawsuit as some evidence the driver wasn't properly trained, but that's no different from the other ways they were trying to determine whether your brother was partially at fault for the crash."

Post #45: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/no-...es-294788.html

I'm back to standing by what I said.
That's actually my post. Here's the rest of it:

Quote:
I assume your brother had the proper license for what he was driving. If he had been driving a motorhome with the proper license, the same thing could happen--questioning the driver's level of experience.

If the driver doesn't have the proper license, that could be some evidence the driver isn't properly trained, but the driver could rebut that. No automatic "you lose because you don't have the right license," in any case.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #45

I have read that 17 states require some kind of certification for MH over 45'. I didn't read about weight.
quintonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintonl View Post
I have read that 17 states require some kind of certification for MH over 45'. I didn't read about weight.
Maybe I'm just not getting what you're saying, but here's the endorsement page from the New York State DMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NYS DMV Endorsements.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	295140  
Old 07-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #47

I'm licensed in Indiana, we don't have that law.

I've never heard of such a license before this post. I've been driving my class A for over two years now.
So does this mean I can't drive legally in NYS? Am I legal in the other 49 states? I'm confused.
Tia for any information.
AnywhereEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #48

Based on your State of Issue

From my research and understanding.... If your state requires you to have a CDL or any type of endorsement to drive a Class A RV weighing over 26K pounds, then you should get it. If your state does not require it, then it doesn’t matter what state you are driving in since your state does not require it.
bedpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #49

Too many laws created by too many lawyers.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #50

Your license only follows your state requirements. I’m from california and I had to get a class b non commercial endorsement. 16 question exam and a driving test. With only 9 centers for the exam I had to drive 3 hrs. The real question is when traveling. We were at a rest stop in Indiana when a state trooper approached us. He asked asked me”of course being from California you have your endorsement. I said of course. What would happen if I didn’t. He explained our coach would be red tagged and I would have 3 hrs to get a properly licensed driver to operate it or it would have been impounded. Add insurance into the equation and the cost of our coach I think it’s a no brainer go get the endorsement. Their are too many injury attorneys out there that want to take everything away from you. No offense it’s their job.....
mand43a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereEric View Post
I've never heard of such a license before this post. I've been driving my class A for over two years now.
So does this mean I can't drive legally in NYS? Am I legal in the other 49 states? I'm confused.
Tia for any information.
Requirements are based on your state of residence / licensing. IN MAY not require a special endorsement but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist!
OP inquired about NY I beIieve and NY certainly does as does many other states.
Many misunderstand the Exemption to CDL not req'd for RVs. All that means is you dont need a CDL it does not necessarily mean you dont need any special endorsement if over 26000 lbs or X ft in length.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintonl View Post
Take a look at NV and TX. There are others, but those two I know off the top of my head.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #53

Amazing how many threads there have been on this subject over the years.

There are many states which require some sort of "extra" license requirement. Most are based on weight, but not all. Your states requirements follow you almost (only because I am not 100% sure) your operation in any state and province.

I suspect there are many RVers who are not legally licensed to drive the rigs they have been driving for years and I would blame that on RV dealers who don't care as long as the check is signed.
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 AM   #54

Here’s the simple Answer: You don’t need a special license to drive most kinds of RVs. If you’re driving any vehicle under 26,000 lbs–and most of them are–you are clear to drive with a regular operator’s driver’s license according to current, up-to-date DMV laws in all 50 states.
Bobchambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:03 AM   #55

Perhaps this will help. As previously stated we need one in Pa.I travel to Florida every winter and they will check if you are properly licensed if you are in an accident.
https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobchambe View Post
Here’s the simple Answer: You don’t need a special license to drive most kinds of RVs. If you’re driving any vehicle under 26,000 lbs–and most of them are–you are clear to drive with a regular operator’s driver’s license according to current, up-to-date DMV laws in all 50 states.

At least 10 years ago, Illinois changed their regular class D license (99% of drivers get this) to limit weight to 8,500# GVWR. I noticed this after a renewal when verifying that my class M motorcycle endorsement was there and noticed the new weight limitation. I spoke to the counter person stating that I couldn't legally drive my F350 with a 9,100 GVWR and he gave me the non CDL class C books to read and test on. I now have a license good for any single vehicle 26,000# or less (which was what the license was good for previously).

I'll bet there's 1000's of IL RV drivers out there technically driving illegally....and don't even know it. The RV dealers are also probably clueless. Like someone said, sign here and have a great trip...

All - take a look at your license and see what the weight rating is for your license class

I just did a quick search for IL drivers license classes and now the class D is good up to 16,000#, which for most class A's would still be illegal.
tgproios is offline   Reply With Quote