Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Question oak applique

My motorhome has a lot of paper fake oak veneer or applique on the cabinetry. This applique has some unsightly areas and I was wondering if anyone knows how to purchase that stuff so I can repair (cover over) the bad spots.
DBaertschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #2

I think you'll find it's real oak, made in a thin adhesive-backed applique. It used to be called "Woodtape" and was manufactured in Everett, WA. I used to drive past their plant on the way to work at Boeing.

It's been almost 15 years since I retired and I don't know whether the company is still in business. My Georgetown (an '02) also has a lot of the stuff, but it's still in reasonable shape.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of your MH?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaertschy View Post
My motorhome has a lot of paper fake oak veneer or applique on the cabinetry. This applique has some unsightly areas and I was wondering if anyone knows how to purchase that stuff so I can repair (cover over) the bad spots.
they sell stuff called ''contact paper'' in various finishes including wood grain at wally world and other places.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can buy adhesive wood veneer for re-doing cabinets in many places. Google it online, or try a local woodworking supply place if there is one near you (larger cities have then). Lowes sells it in their kitchen design area as a special order item - last I knew they used a supplier called Quality Doors, who makes doors and drawers and sells veneers to match, all for remodeling kitchens.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #6

As good as the fake wood wraps are...I'd assume either it is a heat shrink type material or it is been vacuum applied. The seem to do a great job making that material follow contours and such in the cabinet doors and faces. They can sure spruce up the appearance of particle board with that product..sorry I have no clue where it can be bought
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just Google adhesive oak veneer and you will find plenty of sources.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
IC2

I know what you are looking for - and it's an oak appearing photo paper material and applied similar to contact paper. It is called Thermofoil. I've looked at various veneers and have found them too thick or unwieldy to apply on anything but a smooth and straight surface. Stop in any Home Depot and look at their selections of paneling - mostly same 'stuff'

Transwall - Surface Materials | Thermofoil

or

Sterling Tree Studio - Surface Materials - Thermofoil

Many others sell it as well
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote