Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

Odd behavior, couldn't fill up gas tank

I believe this happened one time last summer and it happened again yesterday. I was filling the tank from fairly low and when it was about 5/8 full, the pump clicked off. I tried to add more fuel but the handle kept clicking off as though the tank was full.

I moved to a different pump and the same thing happened. Here's a video...

Later, after driving until the tank was half-full, I tried filling again and had no problem.

Anyone know what causes this and is there a remedy?
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might be a kink in the vent tube or maybe its partially plugged. It could even be that your carbon filter is plugged, if it has one. Thats where I would start.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

In the video, I noticed you had the nozzle all the way in and the rubber thing was covering the tube. This isn't the problem, but if you allow the air in the tank to vent out of the tube, it would have gotten you through that fillup. The fumes will go towards you. It was always like this in the old days and we all lived.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

I ran into the same problem on my buddies class A. What I found is that the air displacement tube that runs back up alongside the filler neck was blocked. I confirmed this by blowing into the tube, heard a small pop and then the tank filled as normal. This hose is there to displace the air in the tank when filling up , if blocked the air and fuel spits back thru the filler neck.
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #5

I extended my rear jacks so the rear was higher than the front worked 3-4 times for us
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
paz

Sometimes the problem is caused by a plugged vent or a sag in the filler tube that goes from the inlet to the tank.

Many times, however, the newer nozzles that are designed to cut down on the escape of fuel vapors are frequently causing problems. For me, older pumps and nozzles rarely click off prematurely. The new nozzles don't cause problems for cars, but they do on motorhomes because the run from the filler inlet to the tank is much longer creating more back pressure.

I found in some cases it helps to push the nozzle farther into the filler neck because there is less splashing of the fuel. In other cases, pulling the nozzle out as far as possible is better because it allows some of the back pressure to escape. It all depends on the pump, nozzle, how level the coach is and even on ambient temperature. If none of my tricks work, I have to baby the flow manually.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank