Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

Oil Blowin' Onan

I have a 4.0 onan emerald 1 genset propane generator in my 1987 holiday rambler motorhome.
I was running the a/c. So of course the onan was running. I was expecting it to run out of propane at anytime when it stopped. Didn't think nothing of it. A couple hours later I'm outside and there's is a huge splatter of oil under the onan. Looks as though it blew all of the oil out. I mean all of it. This happened anybody out there? What happened?
It has been surging for the last few days. Need to adjust the points or adjust the carburetor and governor don't know if that has something to do with it.
Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Put some new oil in and check for leaks. My money is on the oil filter. I had one start leaking at the gasket. It was a NAPA replacement and was a slightly different diameter. As all this happened while I was stuck in a snow drift in a Flying J parking lot, I had trouble seeing the humor in the situation. I have since paid the price for Onan filters.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the engine breather plugged?
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #4

Possibly the oil pressure switch is leaking
Old 07-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Thank you guys I'm going under the onan first thing today. I've been so busy with the fuel delivery system on why I'm not getting gas to my carburetor for a few days now. Which happend while I was trying to figure out why our fridge went out which became number 2 on the most important list when the RV broke down, and now this. No fridge, no AC, and no move. With an average temperature of 102° last week, and could we at least have broke down on the shade? NOT!!! But thanks to our jeep, we were shortly afterwards. Things can always be worse. Oh yeah, we live in it. I really hope this onan is a quick fix...
Hopefully I made someone feel a little better about there past week.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Surely you can go get a portable generator and bring it back in your Jeep. Just sayin'.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Thank you guys I'm going under the onan first thing today. I've been so busy with the fuel delivery system on why I'm not getting gas to my carburetor for a few days now. Which happend while I was trying to figure out why our fridge went out which became number 2 on the most important list when the RV broke down, and now this. No fridge, no AC, and no move. With an average temperature of 102° last week, and could we at least have broke down on the shade? NOT!!! But thanks to our jeep, we were shortly afterwards. Things can always be worse. Oh yeah, we live in it. I really hope this onan is a quick fix...
Hopefully I made someone feel a little better about there past week.
You really need a break.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suspicion is OIL FILTER LOOSE, reach over and grab it; mine was about to completely unscrew. I was investigating why mine (new rig to me, at the time) was so dirty, and grabbed filter. Hopefully, your OP switch SAVED your engine from damage? New filter and Oil change and SIMPLE GREEN/ rags/ paper towels did a WONDERFUL JOB of cleanup. LUCK
Old 07-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Suspicion is OIL FILTER LOOSE, reach over and grab it; mine was about to completely unscrew. I was investigating why mine (new rig to me, at the time) was so dirty, and grabbed filter. Hopefully, your OP switch SAVED your engine from damage? New filter and Oil change and SIMPLE GREEN/ rags/ paper towels did a WONDERFUL JOB of cleanup. LUCK
it's not loose but, appears to be coming from the the oil filter. The motor still turns. I just don't understand why it came out so fast it lost all of its oil before it turned off. There's nothing on the dipstick. Zero oil. I mean, they turn off if there's too much oil in them. I figured it would have shut off earlier. Thank you looks like a easy fix. Thank goodness.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Surely you can go get a portable generator and bring it back in your Jeep. Just sayin'.
Free? 'Cause it would have be. Things were a little better when I got my jeep. Things are differant. I can't just go get what I want. Most the time things we need are out of reach also, but it could always be worse.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good time to replace the OP switch too, but get the right one/ right pressure range, or no start maybe issue? Old maybe clogged w/ varnish/ sluggish to close; you can see it when Ooil filter removed, but may have to remove some sheetmetal to change (not sure?) LUCK
Old 07-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wHY LOST SO MUCH SO FAST? Because the OP Switch and Oil Filter are on the PRESSURE side of the Oil Pump..
Old 07-16-2021, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
wHY LOST SO MUCH SO FAST? Because the OP Switch and Oil Filter are on the PRESSURE side of the Oil Pump..
Okay thanks. I'll remember that for when I finally get to the generator. Haven't been able to yet, but hopefully I will soon. Even though the filter isn't loose just from briefly looking at it I'm confident that the problem is right in that area and I'll change that OP switch when I change the oil and the filter.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #14

When you replace the oil filter, look up into the cavity where the oil filter goes and inspect that there's not another rubber seal stuck up in there from the last oil filter change. Sometime when you remove a oil filter the rubber gasket will separate from the filter and remain up in the housing. If that's the case, when a new filter is installed you now have 2 rubber gaskets that the filter is tightening against. Not good. That may be what happened.

When the oil blew out from the oil filter or from wherever, and the generator lost oil, the oil pressure switch sensed that and shut the generator down. It's a safety feature and worked like it should.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan