Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Oil change fun - limited access

So, like it or not, it is time to do my annual oil change as part of my prep for winter storage. First time for this F53 class A for me... Bottom end (drain & filter change) was pretty straightforward, though the I-beam axle was kinda inconvenient

However, adding fresh oil required using my manual pump since there was no clearance to pour anything from a bottle (see pics - apologies for the orientation). My method worked, but am curious as to what others do. With my rig, access at the front is really tight since the "hood" only opens so far and the grille is an immovable object. Glad I'm 6' 3" and skinny.

I dreamed briefly of some sort of cordless transfer pump arrangement that would be powered by my Makita batteries... Interested to hear what y'all do -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB4D239F-A327-4D6A-9F0C-96BB71D1FDA4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	305084   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F712EE6-565A-4511-BC2B-A36C4DF852BD.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	305085  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8EDC101-3BD8-4509-A46A-08D1A4BD94AF.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	305086  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

I picked up a Harbor Freight $7. drill powered pump. Chucked it in my cordless drill
Cut up some old garden hose to screw on each side the pump and sucked the oil out of the gallon jugs.

When done, hung it all up in the shed for next time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I picked up a Harbor Freight $7. drill powered pump. Chucked it in my cordless drill
Cut up some old garden hose to screw on each side the pump and sucked the oil out of the gallon jugs.

When done, hung it all up in the shed for next time.
Nice! Thanks!
Old 10-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

Learned real quick with our F53 to just buy the Mobil 1 in quarts.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #5

We used to have a F53 chassis and the front I beam is a PITA. Look into getting a Fumuto valve from the drain plug and no more problems in draining oil and getting it everywhere but in the pan.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

I just transfer from 5 qt into 1 quart bottles. Tried a manual pump, but ended up faster just to use a funnel and put it into the 1 quart container, and into the motor home from there.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #7

I use a quart bottle with one of the nozzles pictured below. The white one fits the large-top Amsoil or Mobil 1 bottles. The red one is threaded to fit either the larger top or smaller top bottles. With either of these I can just put the nozzle into the fill tube and turn it upside down. I've never spilled a drop.

I use Amsoil, so I just buy quarts -- gallons don't save much. But it'd be easy enough to transfer the 5-quart Mobil 1 to a clean quart bottle.

I use a Fumoto valve to drain it through a hose. I have fashioned a flat pan to put under the filter to move the oil toward the back and off into a pan.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #8

I have found that it is easy to place a 17 quart closed oil pan on top of the axle. You just need to lift the jacks to get space to do it. Once there, it stays in place quite well. Loosen the filter slightly and then punch a hole to drain it into the pan.
A fumoto valve works well, but you still need to use a pan for the filter.
I use a drill pump & hose to fill with new oil. I have found that you can use a funnel and length of hose to fill, but you need two people and a stool to do it. Some oil stays in the hose so you have to remove it carefully.
I store the pump, hose, and filter wrench in a covered plastic bin along with the tools to change the generator oil. I keep spare filters, etc in a second plastic bin.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I was not aware of the threaded nozzles - definitely a possibility. I think for a regular funnel to work in my situation it would have to have a flexible / positionable stem so that the funnel itself could be held level. Even then, access is really tight.

Regarding the pan, I was able to just fit my pan under the axle, and then I have a formable "chute" (rubber coated metal) that is really handy for odd oil change situations. I positioned it just under the drain plug and was able to direct the oil to the pan with no mess. The filter would have been fine - I loosened it and let it drain off - but it surprised me with an extra gush as I removed it.

I have used / do use Fumoto valves on some of my vehicles and like them a lot. Good suggestion!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #10

I place a large zip lock freezer bag over oil filter when removing.
spilled oil stays in bag and when filter is off just close zip lock and toss.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #11

I also found from this forum in another post, that an empty 2 liter plastic pop bottle with the top cut off works great for fitting around the oil filter and containing both the oil filter and oil.
dempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanluc001 View Post
I place a large zip lock freezer bag over oil filter when removing.
spilled oil stays in bag and when filter is off just close zip lock and toss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dempen View Post
I also found from this forum in another post, that an empty 2 liter plastic pop bottle with the top cut off works great for fitting around the oil filter and containing both the oil filter and oil.
Those are both great ideas!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

I use a step ladder and put two boards in the steps to make an extended shelf for the 5gallon jug. Then use a pump in the jug to move the oil to a hose to the inlet.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:50 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rig is a little older than others but I lift the dog house, remove the fill hose from the valve cover and use a transmission funnel. I've used 1 quart bottles and gallon jugs, just don't pour real fast........

I also got tired of setting the drain pan on top of the axle just to spill it bringing the pan down. So I bought a Fumoto valve.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote