Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #15

I am a full-timer with a motorhome that has a Cat C7. I installed a fumoto valve and change my oil in our summer campground. The car needs ramps so I do it at my daughters house.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I am a full-timer with a motorhome that has a Cat C7. I installed a fumoto valve and change my oil in our summer campground. The car needs ramps so I do it at my daughters house.

Buy a plastic pail at the dollar store for draining oil into. Fits between crossmember and oil pan. Due to minimal cost once drained into oil jug easily disposed of. Most auto parts stores accept used oil.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Femco oil drain plug and you don't have the large valve hanging out like the Fumoto vale does!
Old 04-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #18

Changing our own engine oil while on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking1217 View Post
has any one changed their own oil while traveling long distance
Oh it's the right place to ask and we're FTers and it's funny you should ask.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Not for me..... Way too much hassle for the savings....

I recently bought my Rotella synthetic oil from Walmart and my filters from Freightliner.....

I then went to a Camping World and they changed it for me using my supplies for $119.00..... (BTW: That's about all I'd trust CW to do on my coach)
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:06 AM   #20

I change at 5k miles on all my vehicles. Last year, the MH took us on an 8k mile trip. I just waited until we got home. 8k miles of interstate cruising isn't that much of a stretch from normal.

However, if I needed to, I wouldn't hesitate to do my own and save some money. In addition to above comments, use a milk jug and you won't have to carry a drip pan around. Just toss it after taking the oil into Walmart. They'll toss it for you.

These oil changes are so easy, I can't imagine paying 50-80 in labor??? crazy.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I haven't found it necessary to do it, but if I wanted to, I have a Fumoto valve on the oil pan and always have a few one gallon jugs that we use for drinking water.

Its a simple task to pull into a rest stop, drain the oil, and re-fill with fresh. I'd probably not change the filter.

I like to start the season on fresh oil. I sometimes go over my interval (5k miles), but my V10 burns oil (1 qt every 1200-1500 miles) so I'm not overly concerned about it as it gets a qt of fresh oil every 1200-1500 miles.

F53 – Ford V10 Oil Drain – Fumoto Valve – 1999 Southwind 35S

The Fumoto makes this easy and clean.
But why would you not change the filter? That can hold a few quarts of dirty oil that then gets blended with the new.

If your engine isn't leaking oil than it's not too messy to change most filters.
You can put a plastic bag around the filter and "flare" out the top of it and spin it off with the filter to catch most all drippage.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My filter method because it must hold 3 quarts of oil and have to tip it on the way down! Take kitchen garbage bag and tape or rubber band around filter. Cut the bottom of the bag wide open, draping down in to bucket. Lift bottom edge of bag with long sharp screw driver and hammer, punch hole in bottom of filter, quick drop plastic back into bucket. Take a little nap or cocktail come back to finish up. I see them do this in commercial truck shops just with out the plastic bag. "Just try bringing that filter down with 3 quarts of oil past all the obsticles!"