Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #1

We are looking at purchasing a 2001 National Tradewinds on a Freightliner chassis with a 330 CAT. It has 54,000 miles. We drove it for about 50 miles yesterday and my only concern is the oil pressure. The guage has three markings: at 9 0clock, 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

The 12 o'clock mark says "normal." While driving it, the indicater needle pointed between 9 and 12 o'clock, but closer to 9'oclock. The MH was on an RV lot and I wasn't able to check the guage on starting the engine when it was cold. I will check it this morning from a cold start.

I'm very familiar with gas engines, but this will be our first diesel. And yes, before I get all the replies, I will take it to a dealer to have it checked out, and have all fluids changed. But I would appreciate a little knowledge from those who have diesels, and especially 330 CATs. I will take it to the Freightliner service center on Irving Blvd in Dallas, TX. Any locals here who have experience with them??

Thank you for your assistance. This is why I love IRV2.

Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #2

We are looking at purchasing a 2001 National Tradewinds on a Freightliner chassis with a 330 CAT. It has 54,000 miles. We drove it for about 50 miles yesterday and my only concern is the oil pressure. The guage has three markings: at 9 0clock, 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

The 12 o'clock mark says "normal." While driving it, the indicater needle pointed between 9 and 12 o'clock, but closer to 9'oclock. The MH was on an RV lot and I wasn't able to check the guage on starting the engine when it was cold. I will check it this morning from a cold start.

I'm very familiar with gas engines, but this will be our first diesel. And yes, before I get all the replies, I will take it to a dealer to have it checked out, and have all fluids changed. But I would appreciate a little knowledge from those who have diesels, and especially 330 CATs. I will take it to the Freightliner service center on Irving Blvd in Dallas, TX. Any locals here who have experience with them??

Thank you for your assistance. This is why I love IRV2.

Larry
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ragman,

The 3126 CAT will not run without sufficient oil pressure. The way I understand it, the injector pump is powered by oil pressure and it will not run without it.

The oil pressure gauge on our motorhome comes up quickly to about 12 o'clock. After running it does drop back a little bit. I have a VMSpc to monitor the engine and transmission and it shows hot oil pressure at idle around 18 psi.

Good luck.

dreamer.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Think Dreamer is correct. The analog meter showing oil pressure can be watched for changes and that is about all. We have 50,000 miles on ours and the meter has never changed it's behavior since day one. On start up 1 o'clock, warmed up 10-11, idle closer to 10.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #5

OOOOPS!!! I shouldn't try to do things by memory.

Back at the coach now, I looked at the guage and the marks are at COLD - NORMAL - HOT, with one small mark in betwwen each of these.

COLD is about 10 o'clock and HOT is about 2 o'clock.

I started engine this morning and at cold idle it was at NORMAL. After running about 30 min. it is now slightly below the small mark that is between LOW and NORMAL. As I said in my first post, while driving the coach yesterday, it halfway between the small mark and NORMAL.

Yesterday, driving at about 60mph it was between the small mark and NORMAL, but maybe a little closer to the small mark. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Dreamer and Steve for your information. I really appreciate you guys out there with all your knowledge.

Larry
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #6

Hey Larry Usually Cold Normal and Hot refer to water temp and not oil pressure!!!

Rick
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #7

and Running light with no Toad and little load Low end of Normal would be about right!!

Rick
Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #8

Hey Rick, Excuse another BIG senior moment. I meant to say LOW, NORMAL AND HIGH. I guess I just stated water temp instead of oil pressure. I'm going to talk to Freightliner people tomorrow and see if I can get it in for a checkup before I completely nail this down.

Had fun today, wife cleaning on the inside and I on the outside going thru everything I could find. It has many similarities to our 34 ft. National Sea View (gas) that we just sold.

Again, thanks a million for your comments.

Best regards,
Larry