Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Old tires on Pace Arrow

We recently purchased a '99 Pace Arrow, it is in great shape and only has 38,000 miles. However, although the OEM 19.5" tires have no apparent weather cracks and lots of tread I have been advised that I should immediately replace them due to the age. Is that right?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, if you bought it from lazydays last week, it was mine. nm, couldn't be. and my tires were new.

I tried to just use the apparently perfectly good old goodyears. Then I hit a curb and took one out. The next day, the inner on that side blew out with violence and malice.

So I bought 2 tires, put em on the front and saved my pesos.
Following spring bought 4 more.

Your tires are probably fine, but
Peace of mind is a good thing.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

I am sorry but if those are original tires then they are too old and it is way too dangerous to use them. You don't know if the previous owner has kept the tire inflated correctly or not. Tires especially of unknown past should not go over six years from the DOT date stamp on the tire. Have you read the DOT date stamp on all the tires? The worst thing that can happen is what is called a a zipper flat were the tread ripes off the tire and when that happens the tire goes flat right away. If it is on the front then you are in trouble. If on the rear it can rip the MH apart while it is coming off.

I have two tires on a race car trailer with a lot of tread and zero cracks on the sides and the tread belt came off two tires this winter with the trailer just parked. The tires were seven years old. I am going to see if I can get some good pictures and post them It was amazing to see. It was on the side of the trailer that is always getting the afternoon sun. It will make a believer out of you.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
my tires say 1999.. Not that I like it.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurdock View Post
We recently purchased a '99 Pace Arrow, it is in great shape and only has 38,000 miles. However, although the OEM 19.5" tires have no apparent weather cracks and lots of tread I have been advised that I should immediately replace them due to the age. Is that right?
.....There you go Ron, previous owner right below your post, how lucky are you that you can find out all about your purchase. Welcome to the forum, good luck, and jump in anytime, & travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a service mgr. i have talked to many tire mfg. rep.s in person. The offical stance is replace tires in seven years. Almost all said ten years if you inspect your tires on a regular basis. At twelve years you are an accident waiting to happen.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #7

It really doesn't make much difference because the tires are way beyond the safe age. Like I said one of the problems is that you don't know if the tires were covered while stored or if the previous owner ran the correct tire pressures or what. If one had owned the coach for the the 6-7 year period and covered the tires and had the correct pressures then OK.

So who is going to inspect the tires???? The only correct way is to take the tire off the rim and look at the inside of them and both sides outside. I haven't seen too many guys at a tire place that have been trained to tell you if the tires are good or bad. Like I said those two tires on the race car trailer had ZERO weather cracks and while sitting there the tread zippered off the tire. No warning and I check tires closely.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, pretty well confirms what my tire guy said, the tires are the originals and are ten plus years old, guess I will bite the bullet. Live and learn.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ron, suggest you look into Toyo's. I put them on my 99 pace a year or two ago, and they were flat wonderful. Reasonably priced, and much better handling than the original goodyears. note those goodyears were not 670's, but the previous tire, was it a 159?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I once drove a motorhome for 14 years on a set of Goodyears but finally blew one on a trip to the mountains. I was lucky. It only tore up the inside of the wheel well and I was able to bend stuff back into shape fairly easily. I would recommend a MAXIMUM of 10 years unless the rig has been cared for and stored inside.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote