Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #1

On ground oil change lube job vs on lift

Hi,

I have two options for servicing my 35ft F53.

1. Truck shop with a lift.
2. Ford dealership where they service it outside.

I am leaning towards option 1. I have used them in the past, not cheap but great work.

What do folks think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

Either is fine. I usually have mobile tech do mine on the ground and it works. Lift makes it easier but perfectly doable on ground. Use whichever is cheaper or better (hopefully both).
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

Do it yourself. On the ground. It’s easy, and you know it got done right.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quality of service depends entirely on the technician doing the service. Whether he is standing up under it or lying on creeper is has no bearing on the service itself.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

A lift is not necessary to service the F53. Not even an advantage. Any convenience from working standing is offset by time wasted setting up the lift and taking it down.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #6

Thanks all,

The Ford place are cheaper and would like to build a relationship with them.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just to add another opinion...

If the tech can stand under the coach (whether a Lift or a Pit) and move around a little he can get a better look around.

The mechanics of an oil change are the same - whether the guy is on his back or standing under the couch) so the quality of "that" job should be the same.

But if the guy can get a good look around the underside while doing the oil change he may find something in the early stages of needing attention/repair and save you money.

When I was a mechanic, I would get under the car/truck on the lift for an oil change, and while under there I would examine every inch of the vehicle. You would be surprised how many times I was able to fix something small before it became big.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a local place called, "Wing foot". They are a semi truck shop and deal mostly with (Good Year) tires, alignments and service. The lead SM (Service Manager) I know and he welcomes the MH crowd. Our local Camping World has a difficult time recommending a Ford shop for things that they can't always handle.

I've talk with the GM of the CW and asked him if he needed a place to send stuff that they can't handle and he was thrilled to know abut WF. I't only about 2 to 3 miles from the CW. He also told me that the CEO of CW won't turn any business away even if their technicians are not well trained in the specific Ford chassis service or repairs. For sure they can't do the alignments and it's not easy to find a truck shop that can and will.

Maybe that "We can fix anything" attitude of the CEO is the reason CW's repair reputation is suffering.

I believe that the name "Wing Foot " is a franchise so you might find one of those. On the other hand the name has recently changed so maybe not. If not call some shops that do deal mostly with larger semi's, tires etc. That might open up a new place to find some good MH service. If a shop is dealing with semi's they can take your MH because the shops are large enough for the RV's as well.

Sometimes working on the RV is based on the service manager and if he/she wants more work or if they choose to deal with the RV's.

Mike's, comment in post #7 is an excellent point. I've spent a lot of time under the RV doing exactly as Mike said he did when performing routine service. Yes it is easier to do if the vehicle is up but can still be done on a creeper. It's something that I do every spring.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #9

Back in the day as a grease monkey we did the standard lube and oil changes on the lift.

As mentioned oil change is same but...

While the oil is draining you spun the tires and watch the tread pattern and sometimes the lines wiggle indicating something going on with tire.

You felt the tire while turning as dragging brakes or bad bearing.

Listen too...

Lots of things to tug and shove looking for "work".

Issue now though is if it is on the lift would they care to inspect?
Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks all,

The Ford place are cheaper and would like to build a relationship with them.
you answered your question
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

Thanks all,

I will try the Ford place and see how they are.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Do it yourself. On the ground. It’s easy, and you know it got done right.
X2.

Proper greasing procedure.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/how-o...53-368075.html
Read the whole thread.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

I have two options for servicing my 35ft F53.

1. Truck shop with a lift.
2. Ford dealership where they service it outside.

I am leaning towards option 1. I have used them in the past, not cheap but great work.

What do folks think?
Stay with your original gut feeling. With option #1 you will be getting a professional level of service versus some poor guy on a creeper outside of the shop on the ground. When your vehicle is up on a lift, it makes things easier for the mechanic, and he can do a better, more thorough job. If you want cheap, you are heading for trouble down the road.
JMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Stay with your original gut feeling. With option #1 you will be getting a professional level of service versus some poor guy on a creeper outside of the shop on the ground. When your vehicle is up on a lift, it makes things easier for the mechanic, and he can do a better, more thorough job. If you want cheap, you are heading for trouble down the road.
JMHO
To everyone out there—just remember—when you put your coach up on a lift the kingpin CANNOT get greased properly.

I highly recommend everyone read my accompanying link in my above post# 12 and read the whole thread.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote