Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

Onan 5500 stumbles and makes popping noise

Noticed a problem with my Onan 5500 Gold Marquis generator. Started without any problem and appeared to be running OK. Started the bedroom air conditioner and noticed a slight audio "stumble" from the generator. Started the main cabin air conditioner as well. Again, slight audio "stumble", then running OK.

After a few minutes, from the exhaust pipe I hear a "popping" sound that starts to become intermittent and the generator sounds like the engine is about to stall. Shut down the AC units and it appears to be running OK again. Last time I heard that "popping" was from my GM 8.1L Vortec motorhome engine and a replacement of spark plugs and ignition wires fixed the problem. The generator only has 204 hours, but I replaced the spark plugs anyway. See photo of replaced plugs. Note both center insulators are well blackened, but not fowled. Also, plug on left has its entire threaded area black and wet from fuel/oil?

Also, based on info I gathered from a YouTube video about Onan 5500 high oil level causing a stalling problem, similar to what I found, I removed about 1-1/2 pints of engine oil from the sump.

Generator seems to run just fine now with both AC units running at 23 amp load on generator and oil level about 1/4" up from the "Add" oil mark on the dipstick.

However, I think a carb flush with Seafoam and gas mix would be a good PM move, just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spark Plugs.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	324525  
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If carb was gummed up, the spark plugs would be burt white ( too lean) if you have an altitude knob on the carb turn it in 1/4 of a turn clockwise,
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Also make sure a wasp hasn't made a nest in your exhaust pipe giving you to much back pressure.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I pulled the spark arrester plug and couldn't believe the carbon soot that came out with the genny under load. Can't remember how many hours our genset has, but it's pretty low. Anyway, as power demand changes occur, the genset rpms seemed not to fluctuate as much as before.

I think it's one of those 'forgotten' maintenance items.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:21 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Seafoam cleaning (may/ may not) help, but generally, if it will run fine for a while/ period, then CARB is fine, and the symptoms more common to LEAN which happens under load for (most), and recommend suspecting (intermittent/ failing) FUEL PUMP IF PROBLEM continues?
Old 04-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I would suggest you drain your oil completely and then refill. It takes 2 quarts according to the manual, with a filter change. When full, it looks like it has too much oil, if you take some out, you risk a low oil shutdown if you use it on the road.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I would suggest you drain your oil completely and then refill. It takes 2 quarts according to the manual, with a filter change. When full, it looks like it has too much oil, if you take some out, you risk a low oil shutdown if you use it on the road.
A low oil shutdown feature does not stop the engine if level is low, it prevents re-starting the engine when low oil level is detected.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A low oil shutdown feature does not stop the engine if level is low, it prevents re-starting the engine when low oil level is detected.
If it works that way, its a complete waste of circuitry to have.

Generators are auxiliary power stations, for long term use when other power sources are not avalable. They are designed to run contionusly, for days at a time.

What good would it serve me having a " re-start low oil lockout ", if while running, my oil level dropped low enough to damage my engine ?

Of course, a low oil shut down feature will shut down a running engine and prevent re-starting it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it works that way, its a complete waste of circuitry to have.

Generators are auxiliary power stations, for long term use when other power sources are not avalable. They are designed to run contionusly, for days at a time.

What good would it serve me having a " re-start low oil lockout ", if while running, my oil level dropped low enough to damage my engine ?

Of course, a low oil shut down feature will shut down a running engine and prevent re-starting it.
OK, I guess I've never ignored an ICE engine long enough for the oil level to go below the add mark. Thanks for correcting me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #10

Been having the same problem with mine.. Will start popping after 25-30 minutes. Did plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark arrestor adjusted the valves and new carb. However if I feed fuel from gas can instead of coach it will work fine... Maybe a fuel line issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferyh View Post
Noticed a problem with my Onan 5500 Gold Marquis generator. Started without any problem and appeared to be running OK. Started the bedroom air conditioner and noticed a slight audio "stumble" from the generator. Started the main cabin air conditioner as well. Again, slight audio "stumble", then running OK.

After a few minutes, from the exhaust pipe I hear a "popping" sound that starts to become intermittent and the generator sounds like the engine is about to stall. Shut down the AC units and it appears to be running OK again. Last time I heard that "popping" was from my GM 8.1L Vortec motorhome engine and a replacement of spark plugs and ignition wires fixed the problem. The generator only has 204 hours, but I replaced the spark plugs anyway. See photo of replaced plugs. Note both center insulators are well blackened, but not fowled. Also, plug on left has its entire threaded area black and wet from fuel/oil?

Also, based on info I gathered from a YouTube video about Onan 5500 high oil level causing a stalling problem, similar to what I found, I removed about 1-1/2 pints of engine oil from the sump.

Generator seems to run just fine now with both AC units running at 23 amp load on generator and oil level about 1/4" up from the "Add" oil mark on the dipstick.

However, I think a carb flush with Seafoam and gas mix would be a good PM move, just in case.
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:28 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(geofferyh) re: " plug on left has its entire threaded area black and wet from fuel/oil?" SUGGESTS to me that the spark PLUG WAS LOOSE, thus allowing compression/ exhaust leakage up through the threads. IF the plug was sealed, there should be no carbon/gas on the threads. THIS ALONE can cause a miss/ stumble/ loss of spark, which in turn, dumps raw, unburned gas into the HOT exhaust, which causes the muffler backfire. 2) On oil level, it is critical that rig is LEVEL when OIL is changed, so that all oil drains and proper levels are reflected on the dipstick. LUCK to ya
Old 05-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ray, Re: "low oil shutdown feature"... does shut off running engine on il loss, when working properly... and can be one of two methods: 1) If Oil Filter used, a PRESSURE SWITCH kills IGN; 2) On models that do NOT use oil filter and use a FLOAT /SWITCH in the oil sump, still kills IGN
Old 05-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TIP: Always make sure rig properly leveled BEFORE CHANGING GEN OIL, or dipstick readings can be meaningless :-)

Tags
onan, noise