Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Onan 7.5 diesel gen set.

Hi All ,

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition with a 7.5 gen set. I want to flush the coolant and this would be my first time. I have been told that what is in it now is Fleetguard ES compleat propylene glycol , blue in color. I already have a gallon of it on hand so I am considering using it again.
Can someone tell me how difficult this process is ? Do I really need to add a cleaner to flush or would distilled water do the trick?

Thanks in advance.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #2

Expedition 1,

Changing the coolant and flushing the system is not difficult at all.

Based on the year of your coach and/ or depending on whether the cooling system has been flushed before, would be my deciding factor (of course if its running hot, the coolant contained therein looks bad, etc as well) as to flush or not.

Cummins/Fleetguard makes a coolant system flush that you can get at any Cummins Service Center or authorized Fleetguard retailer.

There is a very good video by "RV Geeks" on Youtube if you Google "Cummins generator coolant change"

It will show you both the flushing procedure and coolant change from start to finish.

Do replace the radiator cap as part of your maintenance during the process.

Hope this helps.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

You should be able to look in plastic tank and see what color anti freeze is. My 07 has regular green antifreeze. It’s simple to change, crawl under and remove cap and let it drain. To fill remove little metal cover on top and pull out fill tube.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

The real trick is to get the radiator refilled. When you pull out the fill tube, use a funnel with a long spout that extends deep into the tube.

If you just pour it in the fill tube, it quickly gets air locked and it takes a long time to "soak in". The first time I flushed mine, it took forever to get it full, the deep spout makes it much easier, and faster.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #5

The biggest challenge on mine was getting the radiator plug out. It was a soft brass allen socket plug. It would not budge, tried heat,freeze spray, penetrating oil,etc, ended up rounding off the internal allen and had to drill it out. The Cummins replacement is a steel plug.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
The biggest challenge on mine was getting the radiator plug out. It was a soft brass allen socket plug. It would not budge, tried heat,freeze spray, penetrating oil,etc, ended up rounding off the internal allen and had to drill it out. The Cummins replacement is a steel plug.

Strange my oil has a plug and antifreeze just has a cap, which was easy to turn.

Tags
diesel, onan