Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Angry Onan Diesel Generator - Error code 1?

Hello,

I am stumped. I have an Onan Diesel Generator. It starts and runs for about 20-30 seconds and then dies. I think it is a watchdog timer that is killing it on purpose due to some sort of issue. I took it in and had it serviced but they couldn't figure it out either and ended up just changing the filter, oil and coolant. It looks like it is displaying fault code 1 which it continuously repeats. I thought maybe it was a longer code so I sat there for through 70 blinks and then decided that it must be fault code 1. The information out there seems to indicate that there is no fault code 1 or that it is an indicator of high temp. It seems to die at exactly the same time as it would take it to power up the motor home. As in when it worked it would run for 20-30 before powering everything up and that is about the same time it dies now. Any recommendations would be great. I have the cover off and I have coolant, a clean filter, oil, etc.
toefurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
It's possible the temp sensor is defective. As you said, fault code 1 shows a high coolant temp shutdown.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There is no fault code 1. To retrieve the fault codes typically you press the stop/prime button 3 times. wait 5 seconds then press it one more time. The codes are 2 digits. An example would be flash pause flash flash flash would be a code 13. If you are truly seeing a code 11 that is overcurrent If I remember correctly. Could be an issue with your transfer switch or the output leads of the genny. Could be as simple as not letting it warm up long enough before placing a large load on it.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=11...qE_QbuqabwBg34
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also possible some high current load is turned ON (air, space heater, duct heater?), or a dead short load (AIR CONDITIONER W/ RODENT WIRE DAMAGE?); SUGGEST: Turn OFF MAIN and all other Breakers, see if GEN will run, then allow 3-5-min warmup, and turn ON MAIN, allow a few minutes, then start bringing on branch breakers one at a time? Hopefully, this helps locate problem. Worst is GENS that shut down when START released because NOT producing power.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #5

Really appreciate the responses. Let me provide a couple replies back.

@spdracr39 --> There is no fault code 1. To retrieve the fault codes typically you press the stop/prime button 3 times. wait 5 seconds then press it one more time. The codes are 2 digits. An example would be flash pause flash flash flash would be a code 13. If you are truly seeing a code 11 that is overcurrent If I remember correctly. Could be an issue with your transfer switch or the output leads of the genny. Could be as simple as not letting it warm up long enough before placing a large load on it.

I read the same thing. I followed the instructions and videos carefully. If I press stop/prime 3 times I get flash, flash, flash (continually) and if I press again to get a secondary code it stops altogether. Tried multiple times and same thing. I have the coach completely off with nothing running at all so there is really no load and it dies as soon as it attempt to power up the coach in this case stereo and microwave clocks.

@Thenne1713 good suggestion. I will give that a try but I can't really warm it up since it appears to be a safety mechanism kicking in. I think it may be a temp senor too since it definitely isn't hot but behaves the same way and has no issue firing up. I will also look for rodent damage or wires that are chewed going into the coach since that could explain when it powers up the coach a safety switch off.
toefurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Turn the generator circuit breakers off and see if it will run. This will eliminate any possible overdraw from the M/H.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
additional

Quote:
Originally Posted by toefurry View Post
Really appreciate the responses. Let me provide a couple replies back.

@spdracr39 --> There is no fault code 1. To retrieve the fault codes typically you press the stop/prime button 3 times. wait 5 seconds then press it one more time. The codes are 2 digits. An example would be flash pause flash flash flash would be a code 13. If you are truly seeing a code 11 that is overcurrent If I remember correctly. Could be an issue with your transfer switch or the output leads of the genny. Could be as simple as not letting it warm up long enough before placing a large load on it.

I read the same thing. I followed the instructions and videos carefully. If I press stop/prime 3 times I get flash, flash, flash (continually) and if I press again to get a secondary code it stops altogether. Tried multiple times and same thing. I have the coach completely off with nothing running at all so there is really no load and it dies as soon as it attempt to power up the coach in this case stereo and microwave clocks.

@Thenne1713 good suggestion. I will give that a try but I can't really warm it up since it appears to be a safety mechanism kicking in. I think it may be a temp senor too since it definitely isn't hot but behaves the same way and has no issue firing up. I will also look for rodent damage or wires that are chewed going into the coach since that could explain when it powers up the coach a safety switch off.
(Additional Thoughts): (Gas/ air cooled GENS) that will run as long as START is held and then die leaves Two issues suspect: 1) Oil Level (some models) or Oil Pressure (some models); 2) No power/ wrong power Produced (Normally issue w/ Brushes or Control Board/ Regulator); 3) (Diesel/ water cooled) adds the possibility of Engine Temperature/ wiring damage... LUCK to ya. Let us know?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Reading all this is confusing [to me, anyway] because several responses don't distinguish between the primary & secondary fault codes. The primary codes are 1, 2, or 3 blinks, so yes there is a primary code 1. The 1-blink and 3-blink primary codes also have secondary codes, so more blinks to display and count. A Primary code of 1 means can have a secondary code of 33 or 34; a primary code of 3 can have secondary codes ranging from 11 to 42. There is no secondary code 1, or any single digit number for that matter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s a lot of confusing comments here, 1 flash, code1 is over temp for diesels? Could be a bad sensor, but that’s usually a FC24. You may have a broken or slipping belt, pump or blockage of air too.

A authorized dealer can plug in to the control, read all of the fault code history and monitor temperature real time. This should be easily diagnosed.

I do not know of any upper level fault codes except if you see a three flash, then you hit the stop button once to get the two digit code.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, onan