Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Onan Emerald Genset

I have an Onan Emerald Series Genset. The generator has not been run for a year. I want to remove the bowl on the genie for cleaning reason. The genie a model 5BGEFA11579P, s/n # K990020053P. What stumps me on the bottom of the bowl is the knob for altitude adjustment. I 'm tried to do a picture attachment but of the bowl but get it on this message. Thanks
Johntraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntraveler View Post
I have an Onan Emerald Series Genset. The generator has not been run for a year. I want to remove the bowl on the genie for cleaning reason. The genie a model 5BGEFA11579P, s/n # K990020053P. What stumps me on the bottom of the bowl is the knob for altitude adjustment. I 'm tried to do a picture attachment but of the bowl but get it on this message. Thanks
Do not have a manual ?
The fuel in the bowl is probably trashed -don't attempt to start it.
Most of those fuel bowls unscrew from the bottom
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #3

Onan Emerald Series Genset

Attachment 273659Attachment 273660 These are the photo attachments ref information removing the carb bowl on genset. Thanks
Johntraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
****BEWARE/ CAUTION: YOU CANNOT BUY A REPAIR KIT FOR MOST ONAN, and maybe not able to replace the BOWL GASKET??? ******** CAREFULLY NOTE (and write down) THE EXACT POSITION OF THE PLASTIC KNOB. The altitude adjust LEVER snaps onto serrated brass knob on High-speed adjust, CAREFULLY pry straight down, so NOT to bend the Needle, then CAREFULLY screw IN AND MEASURE/ write down EXACT # OF TURNS for reference on reassembly. Then you can loosen the NUT. This cleaning (Might) well cost you a $300 carb over a gasket? My experience is hard to even find (any) sheet gasket materials in today's auto parts store... (NOT like my younger days :-(
Old 01-30-2020, 05:39 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I put the part number of a041p558 which I found online there is one on Amazon for $60. Not sure if it looks the same but cheaper to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-ge...0387737&sr=8-2

I had a four wheeler that I had nothing but issues with since I bought it. I got a $20 carb off eBay and it ran perfect after that. I was going to rebuild the old one but never got around to it.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$59 carb (Might) be what the OP needs, if he has a HGJ, but I have a 4k Emerald II BGE, and my carb is $300+ :-( (BUT doing just fine right now for a 20yo :-)
Old 01-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
$59 carb (Might) be what the OP needs, if he has a HGJ, but I have a 4k Emerald II BGE, and my carb is $300+ :-( (BUT doing just fine right now for a 20yo :-)
That is why I said double check the look of it. I noticed it says it matches multiple models. I always compare the look before I buy
Old 02-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
mat

I stuck this one on my 5500 marquis and it has never run better.
Was so reasonable, I bought a second one just to have. Way better than the 300 plus that cummins wanted. What I liked was it eliminated the screw in fuel filter that always seemed to be easy to strip due to it's poor location. A simple see through filter and a couple of short pieces of hose and it was good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/541-0765-Ca....c100012.m1985
Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

Below is a link to a forum that excels in Onan repair and rebuild, Those guys really know there stuff...no guess work..You may get a little talking to about letting you gen set for a yr..but you will be well informed..

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forum...-generators.1/
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan