Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Onan gen 5500 marques gold

I have a 30 amp coach, when I am on gen power both ACs with fans draw 23 to 24. I find that often the 2nd AC will shut down compressor and leave fan running.
Both work perfect on shore power. Is this normal or perhaps a gen issue?
Garter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garter View Post
I have a 30 amp coach, when I am on gen power both ACs with fans draw 23 to 24. I find that often the 2nd AC will shut down compressor and leave fan running.
Both work perfect on shore power. Is this normal or perhaps a gen issue?
We have a 50-amp coach with the Onan 5500 and two air conditioners. There are two circuit breakers on the Onan 5500 itself, a 20-amp and a 30-amp.

On ours, the 30-amp breaker powers most of the coach and the front air conditioner. The 20-amp breaker powers mainly the rear air conditioner.

Have you checked those breakers on the generator itself? They're behind that front cover you pull off.

Most RV air conditioners, though, use the same power for both the compressor and the fan. Yours may not. Do you know what make and model air conditioners you have?

Another possibility is that you have a problem with the Automatic Transfer Switch. The ATS takes electrical power from either shore power or the generator. If you had a 50-amp coach I'd think you might have a problem with the ATS or loose wiring inside the ATS case. But on a 30-amp coach I'm not sure if that is a possibility for what you're experiencing.

Ray
Old 09-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

are you sure that you have a 30 amp coach with a 5500 generator? they don't match up.

a 30 amp coach has one power input leg rated at 30 amps.

a 5500 generator has two power output legs rated at 30 amps and 30 amps.

you would only be able to connect one power output leg to the coach power input leg. so the entire coach would be powered by a single power feed. that single feed would run both a/c's and everything else. so i doubt a generator issue would cause one a/c to run while not allowing the other to run. it would be an all or nothing situation.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like the start capacitor for the compressor.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
are you sure that you have a 30 amp coach with a 5500 generator? they don't match up.
Good point. His/her profile doesn't way what year the Jayco Melbourne 28F is. The 2014 brochure I found only shows one 15,000 BTU A/C and an Onan 4000 generator. There is no option for a second A/C or a larger generator. Maybe his/her profile is not up to date.

Ray
Old 09-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's possible he does have a 5500 in a 30 amp coach. My '06 Itasca was a 30 amp setup and had an Onan 5500 Marquis generator. In that coach, the second leg of the generator was dedicated to the second compressor in the basement air. I did convert the coach to 50 amp and used both legs of the generator. It's possible the second leg of the generator is dedicated to his second A/C.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #7

I had a 5500 watt generator in my 30 amp Class C.

The 30 amp breaker ran all of the stuff, including one AC. The 15 breaker was for a second AC, if installed. Didn't have the second AC so the breaker was off. In that rig, and many others like it, you could not run 2 ACs on 30 amp shore power. There was a switch to run one or the other.

I think someone rewired your ACs so they both run on 30 amp shore power, most don't. Is there a switch somewhere mentioning Front/Rear AC ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan