Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #1

Onan Generator Problem

Recently bought a 1986 28 ft. Soutwind. A project. Has Emerald 1 4k Onan.
Not getting fire to plug. Coach has set up couple years. Any advice on what to check first would be appreciated. Guess I will drop it tomorrow where I can work on it. Thanks, Jerry
travlinjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #2

I think your plan to pull it and go at everything is the best idea. If there is one item that doesn't fair well being left alone...it's a generator. I would consider taking it to the local Onan shop and let them go through it.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for chewed wires
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:00 AM   #4

I don't want to assume,,,, check the oil. Many have a low oil detection system that kill the engine at low levels.

L.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Could be the circuit board or possibly a loose connection? As another user said, letting generators sit for a while is a bad idea. They need to be exercised monthly. I usually run mine for 30 minutes with no load and then 30 minutes with Full AC on. One of the many maintenance items that need to be checked when you own an RV. Check out Automotive Wolf car maintenance software for an excellent way to stay on top of all your maintenance. Vehicle Maintenance Software : Car Maintenance Software
flownaksala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem. If it has electronic ignition it is probably the ignition rotor . Check to see if both plugs spark when you first crank it and when you quit cranking. If I could talk to you I could go on and on as my son-in-law and I just got done working on his for the last two weeks before we got it figured out!!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boy those older onans are getting harder and harder to find, great gensets, because they only turn 1800 rpms, newer ones turn 3600 and have one less cylinder
Old 04-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Boy those older onans are getting harder and harder to find, great gensets, because they only turn 1800 rpms, newer ones turn 3600 and have one less cylinder
My old Pace Arrow had the 1800 RPM Onan and I was blown away when I heard my "more modern Onan" scream to life when I first started it!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
My old Pace Arrow had the 1800 RPM Onan and I was blown away when I heard my "more modern Onan" scream to life when I first started it!
Current project is to quiet down a onan micolite 4000
Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinjayco View Post
Recently bought a 1986 28 ft. Soutwind. A project. Has Emerald 1 4k Onan.
Not getting fire to plug. Coach has set up couple years. Any advice on what to check first would be appreciated. Guess I will drop it tomorrow where I can work on it. Thanks, Jerry
I thought I was Jerry??

Sorry I can't help you with the genny problem, but just wanted to pad my post cound....
Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"travlinjayco".....In case you didn't know, many of the 4K's have a release, that let's them angle down to service the upper components. It doesn't need to be dropped, but the front lowers down.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Commercial Member

check for mouse nest between the motor and armature. ive found many with that problem. it breaks the plastic fly wheel that holds the magnetic pickup.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

Dont forget to clean the grounds. They are just as important as power to get proper spark. I have seen it before. We had one that wouldnt start. Put a jumper cable from the frame, to the ground on the side. It started right up. Might not be your problem, but have seen it happen. Like my mechanic friend tells me, `everyone forgets about the ground`. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #14

My 4K Onan generator

Thanks to all for all the helpful comments. Little update. I bypassed the low oil cut off switch and it cranked but dies as soon as I release start button.
This afternoon I found as one post stated. The Gen hinges down from back and does help access things. I decided to go ahead and take it from under the coach. All I have done late this afternoon was to pressure wash it. Going to pick up new oil switch, is obviously in need of replacement. Hopefully get it running so I can check more things out. Thanks again for all the pointers on what to check. Jerry
travlinjayco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan