Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Onan Micro Quiet 4000 won't start

Okay I will make this as short as possible.
A couple of months ago, just before Christmas/New Years, we went over to our storage lot, to get a couple of items out of our 05 Jamboree 26Q. When we parked it I put 2 cans of Sea Foam in the gas tank. And we had the Generator serviced after we had returned from a trip.
So we start the Gen set runs good. I start the A/C unit. It comes on runs for about 5 mins. The breaker switch on the Generator flips. I go and reset it. It flips again. So I said to the wife after the holidays are done I will take care of dealing with it.
I get sick (spend 10 days in the Hospital (for that money we could have bought a new Class A Diesel Pusher and paid cash and still have money left over )

Anyway went over to the RV and even trying to rest the breaker it does not start any suggestions? besides taking the RV to the Generator shop?
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sound like you did all the right thing before putting i to bed. If you are mechanically inclined at all might make a stab at diagnosing it your self if not take it in. Ir you want to do a little checking here are some starting points. The 120 volt breaker to supply electricity to the unit has nothing to do with the generator starting. You said it was kicking the breaker prior to putting it away. So start by turning the breaker off. Does the starter crank the generator? If it does you can check it it is firing by removing a plug touch the plug to a metal surface of the generator and crank it over you should see spark at the end of the plug. If you have spark then you have a fuel problem. Put the plug back in and give it a shot of starting fluid and crank it over. If that makes it start momentary you are not getting fuel through the carburetor. To check to see if the fuel pump is working and the fuel filter is open. Disconnect the fuel line to the carrburator and crank it over if there is no fuel the pump is not working or the filter is stopped up. disconnect the filter and try again. not fuel the pump is not supplying fuel. Now that you have read this how much gas in the fuel tank? If is it less than a 1/4 full you may not be getting fuel to the pump. This all the simply stuff. Trouble shooting the electrical system is a little more complicated. If this is interesting and you want some help call me. Richard 512 4312940
Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard

The fuel gauge indicates a little more than a half of a tank of fuel(gasoline) I have never trusted the gauge in this RV. Once it showed we had a quarter of a tank and I got fuel it took 43gals. and the RV has a 55Gal tank. I am going to take it over and top off the tank and put 2 more cans of Sea Foam in it.

I have some starter fluid, but I really don't like using it to force start the generator. But I have to get it running.

Part of the problems are that we have let it sit for almost 3 years. The tires are almost 3 years old. Now and they have 5 miles on them. We had an inside dual blow out on us on our last trip using the RV. And they were put on the RV when we got back from the last time we used it.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, quiet