Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #1

Angry ONAN NHE 6500LP 85 volts! Trip starts tomorrow

SO im leaving for long trip tomorrow, and spoke with flight systems about my issue. they told me my voltage regulator was bad. Well, turns out its not. Just wasted $300 and a week. Im in a bind to figure this out.

NHE 6500 onan emerald LP, starts and runs perfect, tuned up, and ive only seen 120 volts two times in the last year. when i start it i see 83-85 volts. I have seen 120 on startup, but it typically only stays there for a few minutes, then the transfer switch opens, and i see 84 volts at the contactor. Brushes are new, slip rings cleaned, and the ohms between 9-10 are .029 right within spec.

Can anyone shed light on this? I leave tomorrow night, and this was supposed to be the fix. Not sure what else to do or check at this point. ALL components are new flight systems parts.
graphite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #2

Have you tried increasing the RPMs to see if the voltage goes up ?

It is a constant speed engine and if the RPMs are low it will cause problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

I have and it doesnt change at all.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Did you check voltage before any of the contacts in transfer switch or any other direct of genny test method. On the chance contacts are toasted.
It sound like you tested that but just in case.
I'm not sure exactly how the low voltage excite circuit works but seems like if the are some poor connections there, it may get overwhelmed by magnetic induction be produced on AC end. Have you done an exhaustive Google search for anything you haven't tried so far. I would try other than your exact genny after a bit as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

Does it have a capacitor? A lot of generators use a capacitor to jumpstart the field winding (if I remember correctly) If that capacitor is weak, or lost its charge, you will get that kind of voltage that will disappear once a load is put on it. If there is one, it will probably be located in the end case of the generator. There is a way to bring it back to life if the capacitor is just discharged, but due to liability reasons, I cannot disclose the procedure!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #6

Looked up the parts diagram, it does not have the capacitor. The brushes would be the next guess, but you said they were changed. There is a rectifier, but I believe it is for the battery charger circuit, but it could be for the field windings. I didnt see a wiring diagram. Did you check the resistance on the field windings? I assume the resistance posted was for the armature.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

I suppose if a the genny circuit breaker it kind of outdoors it could get crusty. But I would still lean towards field/excite connections, as always " check grounds," in this circuits. Since it makes some voltage. It doesn't need to be "woke up" with any tricks.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

Alright. So we’re in the middle of Kansas right now. I messed with a few
Things still no luck.

Flight systems keeps telling me it’s a ground or connection.. the blue connector on the back of the control module, the voltage regulator, and the one external connectors have all been cleaned, as I’ve every spade I could access inside the box

New flight systems control module.
New flight systems voltage reg
Clean slip rings
New brushes.

I’m an electrician by trade, but I’m a bit foreign to these guys. I’m seriously fed up with this. My next question is. The neutral on the contractor, is connected to where physically? I wonder if the issue is that rather than the line 1 and line 2. Or if that connection required for the neutral/ground isn’t great. Thanks again, this is a major pain as it’s super hot in the motorhome and the drive back home will be miserable again. Sounds like flightsystems has no more suggestions. Sucks as I just wasted $300 on a Vt that I was told was faulty
Old 06-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

Another odd thing is they’re telling me 85v is characteristic of the 9/10 pin jumper wire not being connected. When I verified it was connected they assumed the vr module was shot.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #10

Just started it. Fired up 118v. Then about 5 seconds into it: drops to 84/84.... makes no sense I wonder if flight systems gave me two bad voltage regulators
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #11

Found a troubleshooting guide, sounds like the field voltage is dropping out. That rectifier is for the field, Flightsystems doesn't mention it as possibly causing the voltage issue, but being an electrician, this link should help. https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/on...ting-guide.pdf
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #12

Update.

Now it’s back to 83/85 volts. Spoke with flight systems and they’re lost. One minute it’s 118v another it’s 83. I’m going to send them my voltage regulator to check. This is super frustrating.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(Know this is now 2-wks old, but?) 6500W TELLS ME If 2-hots and a neutral and ground (dual 30a/25a)? 85v in a 240vac system is typical of an OPEN/ LOOSE NEUTRAL. If the only loads were equal light bulbs on each leg, voltage would be 120vac and 120vac as it split 240vac equally, but as loads get unbalanced w/ open neutral, one side goes HIGH while other goes LOW (by same amount, so +20-vac/-20vac would give 140-vac on Leg -1 and 100-vac on leg-2). One other SWAG is Brush/ Commutator poor connection?
Not uncommon on a house is to hear of 80/160vac, where utility company lost the Neutral back at the pole/ transformer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphite9 View Post
SO im leaving for long trip tomorrow, and spoke with flight systems about my issue. they told me my voltage regulator was bad. Well, turns out its not. Just wasted $300 and a week. Im in a bind to figure this out.

NHE 6500 onan emerald LP, starts and runs perfect, tuned up, and ive only seen 120 volts two times in the last year. when i start it i see 83-85 volts. I have seen 120 on startup, but it typically only stays there for a few minutes, then the transfer switch opens, and i see 84 volts at the contactor. Brushes are new, slip rings cleaned, and the ohms between 9-10 are .029 right within spec.

Can anyone shed light on this? I leave tomorrow night, and this was supposed to be the fix. Not sure what else to do or check at this point. ALL components are new flight systems parts.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
(Know this is now 2-wks old, but?) 6500W TELLS ME If 2-hots and a neutral and ground (dual 30a/25a)? 85v in a 240vac system is typical of an OPEN/ LOOSE NEUTRAL. If the only loads were equal light bulbs on each leg, voltage would be 120vac and 120vac as it split 240vac equally, but as loads get unbalanced w/ open neutral, one side goes HIGH while other goes LOW (by same amount, so +20-vac/-20vac would give 140-vac on Leg -1 and 100-vac on leg-2). One other SWAG is Brush/ Commutator poor connection?
Not uncommon on a house is to hear of 80/160vac, where utility company lost the Neutral back at the pole/ transformer.
I agree with this assessment. When I was first looking at my MH to purchase from a friend of mine the 110 V. line to the kitchen went to low voltage. (80 - 85 V.) The coach was just sitting in a storage barn warm and dry. There was also a pungent smell of something had burned. I tested between the black wire and the white wire on a kitchen plug and got an 80 V. reading. However when I tested from the black wire to ground I got 110 V.
Tracing back to my converter I found a neutral wire which had some signs of melted insulation where the wire was attached to the neutral bar. I removed the wire from the bar, stripped it back, inserted it into another opening in the neutral bar and testing showed I had 110 V. to the plug as normal.
After I bought my coach I removed every wire one at a time, cleaned the wire, treated it to some Silicone Di-Electric compound and installed the wire back into it's respective home. I check all the wiring I have access to every spring when I pull my MH out of storage. This includes the plug from my generator which is located on the wall of my wet bay. I do not have an auto transfer switch.
Lynn

Tags
onan