Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have an Onan 7500 quiet diesel that was running fine when I put it to bed the first part of November. Now when I connect the batteries up the light comes on like the generator is running but it is not and the generator will not crank. I reset the circuit breaker but this did not fix. I then found in the manual where there are fuses under the plate where the coolant cap is. When I move the coolant system hoses and the wires around them the generator will start and run for various times before stopping then I go through the whole moving process again and it will start again. I have tried to remove the front cover from the generator to access the wires but it will move but not come off like there is a slide post or something I need to clear but I cannot see. Has anyone had the front cover off and if so what am I missing. Or if you have any other ideas how to solve my problem I am open to suggestions.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have an Onan 7500 quiet diesel that was running fine when I put it to bed the first part of November. Now when I connect the batteries up the light comes on like the generator is running but it is not and the generator will not crank. I reset the circuit breaker but this did not fix. I then found in the manual where there are fuses under the plate where the coolant cap is. When I move the coolant system hoses and the wires around them the generator will start and run for various times before stopping then I go through the whole moving process again and it will start again. I have tried to remove the front cover from the generator to access the wires but it will move but not come off like there is a slide post or something I need to clear but I cannot see. Has anyone had the front cover off and if so what am I missing. Or if you have any other ideas how to solve my problem I am open to suggestions.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brian,
The plate that hides the radiator cap and what you are looking for is held in place by 2 screws? If so you have the same as me. After removing the two screws (on the bottom of the plate) it will remain in position because of a slider flap on the top. Swing the bottom out just enough so the bracket that holds the radiator cap will clear the front cover (just above the on/off switch). With your right hand slide the cover/cap assembly down toward the on/off switch. At the same time, with your left hand hold and twist the radiator cap hose (I forget if it is clockwise or counter clockwise). The radiator cap/hose must be freed from the cover plate. They are in a bracket attached to the plate. Once the cap/hose is free of the cover plate you will be able to access the area you are looking to investigate.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I was not clear in what I have already done. I have that part off and can pull the hoses and wires with fuses up enough to access them. I have cleaned the fuse pins and checked the wires I can get to. Some where in this mess of wires is either a short or open. If I move everything around the gen will start and run for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. I need to figure out how to get the entire front panel of the generator off to be able to access the rest of the wiring. I am pretty sure this is where my problem is I just can't get to it.