RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

One sticky jack

I have a four-jack HWH system. All work OK except for the right front which doesn't fully retract. Sometimes it will only retract a couple inches, other times nearly all the way. I can get it to where only a couple inches of the piston shows. That's quite a bit of ground clearance where it's mounted to the frame, and I wouldn't be too concerned about driving it, but I still get a "jacks down" light on my dash.

Can anyone tell me if the sole retraction mechanism is the two coil springs on each jack? If that's the case I imagine just cleaning up the mechanism or replacing the springs would fix it.

I found a long pry bar in a bay from the

previous owner. Now I think I may know why it's there, but it's too hot in Florida now to work on it.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #2

Have you lubricated them with WD-40. That usually does the trick. Spray some on the cylinder
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #3

Spray a paper towel with a light coat of WD 40 wipe a light amount on the jacks, you will be surprised how easy it fixed the problem.
I wiped my old ones once a month. If they were down for over two weeks I would wipe them before I raised them
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #4

I wipe mine down lightly with transmission fluid it lubricates the sticky rubber hydraulic seals.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH recommends cleaning and lubing with WD40. It really does work well. One thing I would add. You didnít say what model or year your MH is. Check to see if your jacks have the updated springs. Updated springs will have tapered coils on each end. Old style springs are the same diameter for the whole length of the spring.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #7

HWH has a very good troubleshooting guide online.
When cleaning the cylinder with WD 40 it is also recommended to clean around the seal at top. A Q tip will usually get a fair amount of dirt from that area.
New / old spring info is correct and worth a check.
AZ Pete reference also a good one but having and getting familiar with the troubleshooting info worthwhile to start.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone

This has been a great help. The next time I get to where the rig is stored, I'll give it the WD40 treatment. The automatic storing system wouldn't shut off, I assume because it was still seeing one jack partially down.

It's a 2000 Mountain Aire and the springs are the same diameter for their full length.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #9

"It's a 2000 Mountain Aire and the springs are the same diameter for their full length."

Sounds like original old style springs. They are not all that expensive. I'd order the right ones and replace them. Many posts re using clothes pins or wood wedges to make changing EZ.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
This has been a great help. The next time I get to where the rig is stored, I'll give it the WD40 treatment. The automatic storing system wouldn't shut off, I assume because it was still seeing one jack partially down.

It's a 2000 Mountain Aire and the springs are the same diameter for their full length.
Don't let the system run for more than about 5 mins, the solenoids are being held open all that time and can burn out the windings. If you have to, turn off the system, wait a little while and press the store button again.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #11

I have a similar system, when it's in retract, go to the jack that hangs, grab the spring and see if the ram will twist, mine do and if one sticks, I make sure it's still in retract mode get out and try twisting that jack that hangs, it comes up. The front ones are accessible, the rear ones aren't. It seems on mine, the more you use them, the better they work.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #12

Like some others have mentioned. I got under with some Q-tips, rags and some WD-40 and cleaned the debris out. Ran it up and down 5-6 times and continued to clean, surprised how much crap I got out. Once finished I decided to do the other 3. Entire system works fast and flawless now. Good luck!
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

I have used the WD-40 method and run them up and down several times, but one is still balky. It has never fully retracted on its own, and I had to pry it up with a bar to get it fully raised. HWH doesn't seem to offer phone support, but the website shows several types of valves and says you can raise it after opening whichever type of valve it has. Problem is the valve is facing the center of the coach and I can't see or reach it very well. I'm not about to wiggle under there and start messing with jacks.

It took a lot of force with the pry bar...more than I think those springs can exert. I'm guessing the pressure isn't fully releasing or the unit may be a little bent. At this point I think it's above my pay grade to fix.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:54 AM   #14

Mine was in a similar condition, I had to pry with a fulcrum and a 4' bar to get mine up. What I did: I put a floor jack under the sticky jack and lowered down to it, not lifting the RV. Then, I could use the jack to lift the sticky cylinder with little effort many times. When I bought mine, it had sat in storage for about 8 years. there may have been corrosion inside the cylinder, I have no idea. After doing this with a floor jack a few times it eventually came up on it's own. Now I have no leaks and all 4 have worked fine for a year.