Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #1

I put out my slide without removing the strap and it bowed the trim where it attaches and the screw is no longer all the way end - I can see the end of the screw(which is shorter than I expected it to be). What do I do?

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #2

I put out my slide without removing the strap and it bowed the trim where it attaches and the screw is no longer all the way end - I can see the end of the screw(which is shorter than I expected it to be). What do I do?

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by auntsis:
I put out my slide without removing the strap and it bowed the trim where it attached and the screw is no longer all the way end - I can see the end of the screw(which is shorter than I expected it to be). What do I do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>First of all throw away the slideout straps. I did the very same thing however my hardware went flying around the cabin when I yanked out my straps.

Check out the trim work and see if you can remove the fasteners in the trim piece from the slideout flange. Once the screws are removed the trim should lie flat. I made up a tacky ball of sawdust with Elmer's glue and placed it in the screw hole and let it dry for a while.

When you restore the screw to the hole you might be lucky if the plug holds, just go easy. If not then you may have to go to a larger screw with a cup washer, perhaps you can paint it to match.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:16 AM   #4

I agree with throwing away the straps. Think about it for a minute. Would that little screw and mickey mouse strap hold that heavy slideout in if it decided to go out?

I've heard of other people doing exactly what you did and caused a deal of damage to their trim. You also have to watch the driver's seat to make sure it isn't too far back.

Doug and Cassi
'05 Meridian with Wrangler toad

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Yup, I pulled mine out too. No major damage, just had to remove the trim and re-position the screw braket. I have driven long distances without the strap as well, but the dining slide will "creep" out a little. Probably not a big deal, but I am still using the strap. At least until I forget it again, and tear off the trim. Then it will be sailing out the door.......
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #6

The only reason I can see for using the straps would be for Warranty purposes or Insurance purposes in case something happened. The owners manual says to use them so I assume that if you don't they can use that against you. I agree they are useless otherwise.
fulltimer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Sarge if your slide is creeping, the valve needs adjusted, we had that in our Adventurer and they fixed it under warrenty. We pulled our trim off too and promply put the straps in a drawer. In fact, don't know where they are in this coach.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the seminars I attended by a representative of HWH, who makes the slide mechanism, said the only reason for the strap was to give people a confidence feeling and does no real good. If properly adjusted the slde shouldn't creep, As one that has pulled a strap out of a previous coach, I subscribe to the "throw the strap away" school.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, good info. I will try it again without the strap and see if it moves at all. I'd sure rather not have to worry about it.........
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have HWH hydraulic slides don't forget to hold the button for 3-4 seconds after the slide stops moving when you bring it in our put it out (as per the HWH docs). Failing to do this is apparently the cause for some folks' problems with a little bit of 'creep'.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote