RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #15

I agree with other posts to check the roof vent for the black tank to ensure it is not plugged, bird's nest, leaves etc. and replace the cap it if necessary.
The pea trap on your drains should never empty on their own even during travel unless the drain cap on the bottom of the trap is loose.
Here are a few things we do regularly:

1) pour 1 cup of Dawn Dish Liquid into the galley sink after every dump.
When you dump the grey tank, the hose will be filled with bubbles and a good
scent.
2) ensure your toilet is screwed down tight to the base avoiding gases escaping
3) add toilet seal lubricant monthly and before storage to ensure the toilet trap
closes tight after each flush and that the rubber seal stay flexible
4) add 1 cup of Borax and 1 cap full of Calgon to the black tank after each dump
to soften any solids in the tank along with a good tank deodorizer and flush the
tank after each dump
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
We had same problem. I replaced all the AAV valves under the sinks and put cyclone roof vents on the stacks. No more smells going down the road or after in storage for a while.
steve
i am interested in the cyclone. i read amazon comments it appears there are a lot of happy users. but also quite a number of people complaining it being either poor materials used, broken in a few days; or not freely spinning as what's on the video - marginally worked. i hesitated on getting it...

from your experience, does it hold steady on the air?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #17

WOW THANK YOU EVERYBODY! We did find a GEM!!! No smells no issues...definitely a good mechnically inclined previous owner who loved the unit and had awsome maintenance history everything...i was almost giving up on finding such a thing. The amount of helpful response is incredible it is so nice to see people share their experience and know how. I have actually copied down some notes on sewage treatment and will definitely stick to a strict cleaning regime...better safe than sorry. Thank you again for all the comments i really really appreciate it. Helped me make a great informed decision. Thank you everyone.
Kittykatdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue on both RVs that I have owned. The solution was to replace the vent on the black tank with the "360 Siphon" vent which is available at Camping World and elsewhere. Unlike the cyclone, it has no moving parts to fail. Have had the 360 on my RVs since 2008 and it has completely eliminated odor while stopped or underway. The design was purchased by Lippert about 3 years ago and is now widely used. You will not be disappointed and without moving parts, it should last the life of the RV and no solutions need to be added to the black tank to "eliminate" odors. That alone will pay for the device many times over. Sounds like I am selling snake oil but you will find otherwise and will not be disappointed. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add anything that others have not suggested, but wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
steve
i am interested in the cyclone. i read amazon comments it appears there are a lot of happy users. but also quite a number of people complaining it being either poor materials used, broken in a few days; or not freely spinning as what's on the video - marginally worked. i hesitated on getting it...

from your experience, does it hold steady on the air?

So far I have not had any problems in about 12 months. Still spinning free. If wind is blowing they will align properly. They are a thin plastic so I could see them getting broken easily. I heard the 360 siphon vents also work well. Did not hear about them until after I installed the cyclone vents.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykatdk View Post
WOW THANK YOU EVERYBODY! We did find a GEM!!! No smells no issues...definitely a good mechnically inclined previous owner who loved the unit and had awsome maintenance history everything...i was almost giving up on finding such a thing. The amount of helpful response is incredible it is so nice to see people share their experience and know how. I have actually copied down some notes on sewage treatment and will definitely stick to a strict cleaning regime...better safe than sorry. Thank you again for all the comments i really really appreciate it. Helped me make a great informed decision. Thank you everyone.
Thanks for keeping us updated. Enjoy your new to you coach.

Don't forget pic's and fill out your signature with the info. (Go to User CP and scroll down left hand margin)

Oh...almost forgot. Welcome to IRV2!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I had the same issue on both RVs that I have owned. The solution was to replace the vent on the black tank with the "360 Siphon" vent which is available at Camping World and elsewhere. Unlike the cyclone, it has no moving parts to fail. Have had the 360 on my RVs since 2008 and it has completely eliminated odor while stopped or underway. The design was purchased by Lippert about 3 years ago and is now widely used. You will not be disappointed and without moving parts, it should last the life of the RV and no solutions need to be added to the black tank to "eliminate" odors. That alone will pay for the device many times over. Sounds like I am selling snake oil but you will find otherwise and will not be disappointed. Good luck
bob, i hadn't known this 360 siphon thing until read your post. if it works without moving parts, that'd definitely be a neat thing. big thanks!

it appears there are two types of the designs - center upward and downward. could you tell me which one you would recommend or you are using?
center upward
center downward

thanks steve for the response!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Country Fit
I have the original which has the center upwards. When Lippert purchased the design, they added the downwards design as well as a smaller unit. They are s great pfoduct - Camping World has the larger upwards unit on sale for $24.15 which is pretty reasonable. Good luck
Bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Country Fit
I have the original which has the center upwards. When Lippert purchased the design, they added the downwards design as well as a smaller unit. They are s great pfoduct - Camping World has the larger upwards unit on sale for $24.15 which is pretty reasonable. Good luck
Bob
thanks bob! i'll check the larger upwards out...
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #25

Gents;
I have just stumbled upon this tread, and have the same problem as first described. I cannot thank you all for all the great ideas on how to locate the source of the problem. My wife and kids love our DP, until we are driving down the road. That smell takes away all the good memories in the first whiff of your own waste.
We heading down to Florida after Christmas and that is one of my goals to complete before we go.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewage, smell