Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outside Entertainment Unit Problems

Outside entertainment unit installed with no cone over speaks or sound insulation. When you turn the exterior radio/TV on the sound is amplified inside the RV rather then outside. Any ideas on sound proofing the unit so the person inside the RV is not overwhelmed by the music you are trying to play outside? 2016 Fleetwood Excursion.
Xman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
interesting.... is there any way to install some dynomat behind the speakers?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Considered that but the outside unit back up to the kitchen cabinets which have no backs. Need to put a fake back to adhere it to. Could do that but was looking for a simple solution
Old 07-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

Some of those outside/inside stereo systems are just an automotive system and the outside speakers are controlled by the rear seat speaker fader control. This will allow you to fade the front(inside) speakers OFF and the rear(outside) speakers ON.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman11 View Post
Outside entertainment unit installed with no cone over speaks or sound insulation. When you turn the exterior radio/TV on the sound is amplified inside the RV rather then outside. Any ideas on sound proofing the unit so the person inside the RV is not overwhelmed by the music you are trying to play outside?
Sure hope you get a response, I have the same issue and have not found a simple way to insulate the speakers under the kitchen cabinet so the sounds is only directed outward. So easy for me to get to them but how to insulate/cover the speakers is the issue.

I just ran across this product, I might just purchase this and see if it helps, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT65...h.html?tp=2809 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Install-...dW7Cti&vxp=mtr
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you. However it's not connected to the inside speakers. The problem is the back to the speakers for the outside unit stick thru the exterior wall and come out behind the kitchen cabinets. The cabinets have no back on them. When I pull the drawers out I can see the entire back side of the TV and stereo system. The speakers are not in a box so the sound resignates thru the Rv interior. To put boxes around the speakers requires a lot of disassembly. Was hoping someone has already dealt with this and had a solid solution.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's great I just purchased the same thing before seeing your post! I also bought an adhesive sound dampening map, recommended by Exrench. Going to try and piece something together
I bought "Scosche accumat hypertext", looked the same as Dynomax
Old 07-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

So in effect the outside speakers are mounted in an infinite baffle, with the entire RV being the speaker enclosures. Now I knew guys who mounted arrays of Bozak 12" woofers in the wall between house and garage, thus using the garage as an infinite baffle, and guys who mounted 18" JBLs in the floor, using the crawl space as an infinite baffle but an RV, that's a new one. ;-)

Try and find some enclosed ceiling speakers with built in back cans. I can think of no truly satisfactory fix otherwise. Some examples from Radian and KEF can be found at the link, from the home page go to ceiling speakers. I'm keen on Radian gear--American made and the company has roots in the "real" Altec Lansing and motion picture theater and recording studio sound. KEF is also high quality gear. But many other companies also make these back can ceiling speakers.

Note that back cans must be sealed or if vented, vented to the front.

US SPEAKER Home Page Menu - Speaker Cabinets, Guitar & amp; Bass Amps, upgrades and custom design. The world’s widest choice of speaker parts. “If you have listened to live music, you have almost certainly listened to Eminence”
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I've used the speaker baffles with great success on my 5er. I am currently dealing with the same issue on my Expedition and will add baffles soon along with building a "sound insulated cabinet" across the back of the TV/Stereo/Speaker system. Mine is located behind the sofa, so if I remove the sofa, I will have room to work.
ezlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

You need to block the backs.

You can make boxes or locate sealed back speakers or leave in place to fill holes and get a small box type speaker and mount it someplace else.

Check with a local good skill set equipped auto sound place as they have access to many options.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #11

In speaker terminology a baffle is the surface the driver is mounted to, not an enclosure itself. In most speakers a baffle is part of the enclosure, usually the front wall. But there are free standing baffles used without enclosures, such speakers, intended to radiate to front and rear, are called dipoles. These are now most frequently used with electrostatic and planar magnetic drivers though there's an DIY audiophile cult that mounts high quality full range dynamic cone drivers (one cone, no seperate woofers and tweeters) in free standing baffles commonly called "open baffles".

Some people like the sense of depth and spaciousness dipolar speakers often have (though usually at the expense of deep bass) but of course this doesn't apply to the OP's situation.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I completed a temporary "fix", by no means is this perfect but it sure did help. I purchased speaker baffles then wrapped them in dynomax insulation, stuffed them behind the speaker using heavy duty Velcro to keep them in place. When I have time to tear apart the kitchen cabinets I can properly insulate the area where the TV / speakers are mounted. for now this will have to do.

Tags
ems, problems