Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #1

I'm considering removing the old style TV in the front,overhead cabinet and replacing it with a lighter,thinner,LCD type. Has anyone done this and reconfigured their TV cabinet so it's not a hazard at the RV entrance?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #2

I'm considering removing the old style TV in the front,overhead cabinet and replacing it with a lighter,thinner,LCD type. Has anyone done this and reconfigured their TV cabinet so it's not a hazard at the RV entrance?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HI Bill0828 I dont know where you live, but if it gets cold in the winter you should check to see if you can use a LCD type TV . I have one for my 3 season room and I was told not to let the LCD TV get below 32 degrees. George
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #4

Don't use a plasma TV in an RV. They don't like changes in altitude, temperature swings or the vibrations they will encounter in an RV. The LCD type is more suited to a RV.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

I changed My old 2001 Daewoo19"for a 20"LCD nothing to it and a fine picture also I run it off a 12volt Batt.for about 24 hours also if boondocking..Looks as if it came in the bus from factory..Nice Mod.just take some time to find a set that will fit the hole I changed nothing in the cabnet.Same trim was used I made the bracket and all.Just looks factory.Bushman
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #6

I bought a much larger LCD to install. I made a door out of 3/4" plywood and mounted it on that. Now I have more space for things in the hole.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #7

I'm modding my new RV this week (the parts should be here tomorrow). I'm removing the cabinet door, and flush-mounting a 20" LCD TV in its place. A DVD player will reside underneath the TV. Those will both tie-into a Xantrex 400-Watt inverter, so the kiddies can watch DVD's on the road. I'll post pictures of the mod this weekend.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #8

I asked my question in the wrong way...has anyone actually removed/modified the existing cabinet (in front) so that it no longer hangs below the surrounding cabinets? I've wacked my head too many times as have others. Any cabinet makers out there? I do live in the northeast so removing the LCD during winter storage may have to be added to the winterizing list.
I've already removed the bedroom TV and replaced it with flat screen on an articulated arm. Fits well and we gained more storage space.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill0828, What kind of RV do you have? Can you tell us the make, model and year so we can get an idea of what type of cabinet arrangement you have. It also makes a difference if you have a Front entry door instead of a side entry door. I Have a '04 Safari TREK with a side door and a LARGE HANG-DOWN CENTER TV cabinet over the dash. My sweetie was constantly banging her head every time she would get up from the co-pilot seat, so I modified mine and cut off 4" of "hang-down" and 4" of "stick-out" which solved my problem. I originally had a large, heavy 27" RCA CRT old style TV, (which I moved to the rear lounge area) and replaced it with a 32" Flat panel Septer LCD (Costo). I redid the inside of the cabnet and installed two shelves. I use the extra shelf space for my battery minder and a 12 volt converter for the KVH R6.
I had to build a steel bracket to mount to the two overhead "roll bars" to attach a articulating arm (also Costco) to hold the TV in place. If it sounds like what I did would be similar to what you want to do, then tell me and I will e-mail you photos of my "before" and "after".

Glenn
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #10

Anybody know of someone in the West that does this professionally for those of us less handy with the tools?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
Bill0828, What kind of RV do you have? Can you tell us the make, model and year so we can get an idea of what type of cabinet arrangement you have. It also makes a difference if you have a Front entry door instead of a side entry door. I Have a '04 Safari TREK with a side door and a LARGE HANG-DOWN CENTER TV cabinet over the dash. My sweetie was constantly banging her head every time she would get up from the co-pilot seat, so I modified mine and cut off 4" of "hang-down" and 4" of "stick-out" which solved my problem. I originally had a large, heavy 27" RCA CRT old style TV, (which I moved to the rear lounge area) and replaced it with a 32" Flat panel Septer LCD (Costo). I redid the inside of the cabnet and installed two shelves. I use the extra shelf space for my battery minder and a 12 volt converter for the KVH R6.
I had to build a steel bracket to mount to the two overhead "roll bars" to attach a articulating arm (also Costco) to hold the TV in place. If it sounds like what I did would be similar to what you want to do, then tell me and I will e-mail you photos of my "before" and "after".

Glenn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an '04 Newmar,KountryStar,DP. I have a heavy,old style 27" TV in the center area above the dash. It sounds like your modification is exactly what I have in mind.
Let me know how your project turns out.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill

Contact Davis Cabinets in Junction City, OR. They might be able help you. http://www.daviscabinets.com/

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill0828:
I have an '04 Newmar,KountryStar,DP. I have a heavy,old style 27" TV in the center area above the dash. It sounds like your modification is exactly what I have in mind.
Let me know how your project turns out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, I will try and post some photos to this thread by the end of this week. I don't think my photos will help you very much if you are not going to do it yourself, but I will post them anyway. I would think any good cabinet shop would do it for you, but it may be kind of pricey.

Glenn
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #14

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
A good cabinet maker can do wonders.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote