Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just for the sake of some on-topic anecdotal reference, this was my experience with this last month in Memphis:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/preve...ml#post4961054

Not saying it is likely to happen to anyone else, but it is also not all that unlikely either, especially in the nicer suburbs surrounding big cities. Seems the nothing-to-lose minor career-criminal crowd cruises the better neighborhoods in the wee hours looking for easy pickings rather than in their own. Imagine that! And I had reason and permission to be there. I was invited!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
Why an "affluent" neighborhood as opposed to less than affluent? Paranoia and fear?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
not fear, reality.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you did that in front of my house, the sheriff would be knocking on your door at 2am telling you to leave

x2!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
not fear, reality.
Well as I have found, you might be better off with a less affluent neighborhood. But better still, the aforementioned county or city parks which Ive found to be quite nice and often free or really cheap. But the random, unfamiliar neighborhood? Regardless of whether or not its legal, or “ok”, it comes with a lot of unknowns that can turn ugly fast. So I say, why bother? Whats to be gained? Saving $30? Not worth it.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Well as I have found, you might be better off with a less affluent neighborhood. But better still, the aforementioned county or city parks which Ive found to be quite nice and often free or really cheap. But the random, unfamiliar neighborhood? Regardless of whether or not its legal, or “ok”, it comes with a lot of unknowns that can turn ugly fast. So I say, why bother? Whats to be gained? Saving $30? Not worth it.
totally agree with your broader point. many years ago we had pulled over to the side of a rural road to check the campground directory when the CG we had planned on fell through. a car pulled over and after a brief conversation we were invited to park overnite in the pastor's church lot. we happily accepted, were gone by 7am and gave him a $25 donation to the church. after that we overnighted in church lots, truck stops, wally and one time in a small town's police dept lot. all with permission. we never considered parking on a random street or even a highway rest area.

our first choice was always a campground and more often than not we did overnight in a campground. we felt the safest in an established CG. but as we were doing 10-12 hr days it wasn't always possible. i recognize that some don't have the $30 to spare or object in principle to spending $ just to overnight but there are safer spots than a random city street...of any degree of affluence.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #48

25+ yrs ago we would sometimes park in a urban neighborhood for the night. Never had any issues. We would also stop at Cracker Barrel's, auto parts stores and an occasional church. Haven't done any of those in 25 yrs. Never stayed at a Wally World and don't plan to. I'd' rather give my $'s to a CG and have hookups.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
25+ yrs ago we would sometimes park in a urban neighborhood for the night. Never had any issues. We would also stop at Cracker Barrel's, auto parts stores and an occasional church. Haven't done any of those in 25 yrs. Never stayed at a Wally World and don't plan to. I'd' rather give my $'s to a CG and have hookups.
I was going to spend a night at a Walmart somewhere in the great lakes region on one of my just-me-and-the-dogs runs from Ca to Nh. But I didn't like the looks of the loitering late night clientele, so I moved on to a Camping World where I was going to buy parts the next morning.

But gun shots from the neighborhood behind the store bothered my dogs (and concerned me a little too) so I drove on and ended up sleeping for a few hours in a turn-pike service center listening to diesels idle, which was preferable to gun shots.

These aren't the most pleasant places to overnight but Ive never felt unsafe parked amongst a bunch of truckers doing the same thing. And theres always a state trooper presence and good lighting (and coffee, fast food, and fuel) at the service centers. Anyone had issues at one of these?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
...turn-pike service center listening to diesels idle, which was preferable to gun shots.

These aren't the most pleasant places to overnight but Ive never felt unsafe parked amongst a bunch of truckers doing the same thing. And theres always a state trooper presence and good lighting (and coffee, fast food, and fuel) at the service centers. Anyone had issues at one of these?
Exactly my thoughts about the truck stops. I wouldn't stay in any of the seedier ones, but the big chains (PFJ / Loves / TA in that order of preference) seem to have done a decent job at most places of eliminating the "lot lizards" and other unsavory types.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Exactly my thoughts about the truck stops. I wouldn't stay in any of the seedier ones, but the big chains (PFJ / Loves / TA in that order of preference) seem to have done a decent job at most places of eliminating the "lot lizards" and other unsavory types.
back in the day we did the same but never in large urban areas. always small towns or rural areas.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #52
tcg

If I look out my window and there is a strange car just parked with people in it I would call my local police department and they would respond.

If it wasn't daylight I'd probably just go find out what they're doing but after dark I'm calling.

Same goes for an RV.

There's a whole topic about RV security and people wanting cameras and other security devices to keep them safe in their RV but if people in their homes want the same security some posters are suggesting it's paranoia.

I guess it doesn't work both ways.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
If I look out my window and there is a strange car just parked with people in it I would call my local police department and they would respond.

If it wasn't daylight I'd probably just go find out what they're doing but after dark I'm calling.

Same goes for an RV.

There's a whole topic about RV security and people wanting cameras and other security devices to keep them safe in their RV but if people in their homes want the same security some posters are suggesting it's paranoia.

I guess it doesn't work both ways.
I'd be very surprised if a person changed the level of vigilance between sticks and bricks residence and house on wheels.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #54
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I'd be very surprised if a person changed the level of vigilance between sticks and bricks residence and house on wheels.
That's not what I meant.

It appears some RVers want to be very secure in their rigs but are saying residential home owners are being paranoid for calling the police or questioning a strange vehicle or RV parked on their street.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Foster View Post
Has anybody tried showing up on a quiet suburban street in a fairly affluent neighborhood late at night and park in front of someone's house, then leaving early in the morning just as you would at a Walmart?

It seems to me that if you have a fairly new and good looking RV that the neighbors would just assume you were the guests of one of their neighbors. They might not even notice you were there.

Comments?

Try to put yourself in the homeowners shoes. Would you be concerned if you got up in the middle of the night (let the dog out or whatever) and discovered a MH parked in front of your house? What would be your reaction/thoughts, especially not knowing the situation with the MH. The situation gets more intense if you also have a nervous wife and kids that are going to board a early school bus where the MH is parked (remember, you don't know why the MH is there).
Most people including RV'ers are responsible to have a good idea where they will be parking/staying the next night. I would choose a cup of coffee and a open window to keep driving before opting for a unauthorized curb side sleep over.
We have budgeted $$ for campground stops with FHU's for almost every nights stop. We had FHU in our S&B house and expect the same in our RV, and that don't mean running a generator and sailor showers! I drove truck for a couple of years and know what it is like to sleep with one eye open, it's not a good nights sleep.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This thread reminds me of a friend's definition of a motor home owner, "a guy with a $500k RV looking for a free place to camp."
Closed Thread

Tags
boondocking